• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pictures

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, I have no idea if this is the place for such a question: however I will give it a go.

Now, I was wondering. I know there is software like PhotoShop out there for improving pictures. (i.e. putting different backgrounds on the pictures, brightening them up, or whatever) I was curious if there were such a program for macs. Or any suggestions at all.

Please remember: I am a technological idiot. So please, if you would be so kind, use normal English (or German) when you answer. Jargon will probably go right over my head, and then I have to ask you to explain. And that's annoying for you.

Thanks so much in advance for taking the time to answer. :)

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes it's called Adobe Photoshop. It was designed for Macs in the 80s.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes it's called Adobe Photoshop. It was designed for Macs in the 80s.

Oh, doh!!!! Okay, so if I get that program, I should be all set???

For example, instead of a plain background, I would like to have a beautiful background, like an open meadow. Would it be possible with such a program?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh, doh!!!! Okay, so if I get that program, I should be all set???

For example, instead of a plain background, I would like to have a beautiful background, like an open meadow. Would it be possible with such a program?

Yes. But Photoshop isn't cheap -- how much are you willing to spend on such software?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yes. But Photoshop isn't cheap -- how much are you willing to spend on such software?

Gahhhhh it costs five billion euros. Okay, not really, but danggggg....

Does it matter what version I get? I mean, if I get a earlier (i.e. cheaper) version, will it do the same thing?

Or are there other programs that are just as good?

CS4 is like - whewwwwwwwwwww! :rolli:

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Photoshop Elements is like a very basic version of the program, though I don't know much about it aside from the fact that it's quite a bit cheaper.

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
I think it also depends on how frequently and extravagantly she wants to undertake these photo "projects". If its just simple editing I'm sure you could find some freeware on the internet. I just actually got this Picassa 2 from Google that serves my basic editing needs. Uberfuhrer from my understanding you're an artist so you would probably utilize those programs much more than I would guess Little linguist would.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, yes, I guess you need to know that I'm not a professional graphic designer or anything of the sort. It would be more like a hobby just because, well, I would like to experiment in a creative way, and I'm terrible at drawing, so it would kind of be fun to do.

If there is freeware that could do the same thing, that would be great. I found some cheap, authentic versions of photoshop, but they are for students. :cry: Otherwise, I will probably have to dish out between 300-600 euros. DOH! Hmmmm....

MBTI Type
INTJ
Photoshop Elements costs around $99 I think, and it has all the features you could ever want for amateur applications like the ones you describe.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uberfuhrer from my understanding you're an artist so you would probably utilize those programs much more than I would guess Little linguist would.

A few marker drawings in my profile does not make me an artist.

I haven't touched Photoshop since Version 5.5, and that was only casual. I just didn't get how to use it. Too much of a learning curve that I was too impatient with.

If I were going to manipulate a photo, I'd much rather direct someone else to do it.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
A few marker drawings in my profile does not make me an artist.

I haven't touched Photoshop since Version 5.5, and that was only casual. I just didn't get how to use it. Too much of a learning curve that I was too impatient with.

If I were going to manipulate a photo, I'd much rather direct someone else to do it.

Good point. But then I'd have to pay them, and I'd much rather do it myself - being a poor teacher 'n' all. :D

Hey, wow, Über, you have some really neat art work! Did you study art, or is it just a hobby?

Simplexity

MBTI Type
INTP
hmm... yes I think finding a moderately priced software( Photoshop Elements apparently) would be your best bet. There are routes you could take to download those softwares with code generators but it is quite complex at least to explain(I'd need to get my S on and just do it myself, hard to explain).

It seems like you want to sort of build up at your own pace till you gain proficiency or at least are able to express yourself as you see fit so I would think it wise to invest in or at least research more robust software than most of the Freeware offered.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Photoshop Elements costs around $99 I think, and it has all the features you could ever want for amateur applications like the ones you describe.

Hey, that's great!

Just out of curiosity, what does CS3/4 have that photoshop elements does not? If it is nothing that is all that great, then I think the elements would be good.

I did my research, but I honestly don't know if I need everything CS3/4 has to offer. I'm thinking no....

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not necessarily.

You can always threaten to nuke their dog in the microwave and then they'll do it for free! :devil:

(But don't actually act upon that, because it's not nice to hurt dogs.)

Hahaha - I guess you think it's important to put that little caveat in there because I'm an ENFP, right? :D

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So with elements I could change the background (i.e. perform layering techniques)? Right? Or correct subtle errors?

MBTI Type
INTJ
So with elements I could change the background (i.e. perform layering techniques)? Right? Or correct subtle errors?

Absolutely. Elements is basically Photoshop for "normal people". It supports layers, although the pro features of Photoshop are not included in Elements. Honestly, I have Photoshop CS2, and while I enjoy many of the features, there are a good deal of them that I have not explored and I still can do anything I have wanted to do. Elements is a very good value.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I have Paint Shop Pro 9, couple years old, and I'm no pro so it does everything I'd ever want with photos. I think you can get that for Mac (Though a newer version, and I don't know how different). Would probably be cheaper than $100.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have Paint Shop Pro 9, couple years old, and I'm no pro so it does everything I'd ever want with photos. I think you can get that for Mac (Though a newer version, and I don't know how different). Would probably be cheaper than $100.

Hey, cool, thanks I'll have a peak at it! :D