• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pictures

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Absolutely. Elements is basically Photoshop for "normal people". It supports layers, although the pro features of Photoshop are not included in Elements. Honestly, I have Photoshop CS2, and while I enjoy many of the features, there are a good deal of them that I have not explored and I still can do anything I have wanted to do. Elements is a very good value.

You can download a free trial of the program. You'll be able to use it for 30 days or so, then decide if you want to buy it.

Download Adobe PhotoShop CS3 10 Free Trial

Hey, thanks a lot guys. I will have a lot of possibilities. Perhaps I can try it out and see what happens. If I like it, I can look into it. If not, I can check out PSP. :D

Jack, do you know if there is a trial for PSP as well?

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Hey, Linguist, if you want a free, like totally free program with no "evaluation period" (they are annoying), you should try Gimp. It can do most of the stuff photoshop and paint shop can and it is definitely enough for your needs. I can give you some advice on it if you want to. I've done loads of digiart with it.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Just to throw in my $.02

First, what kind of teacher are you? Are you employed by a school? If so, you probably qualify for the discounted educational Photoshop price.

I would recommend Photoshop Elements. Like FM said, it has all the features you'd likely ever use in Photoshop. I use the full Photoshop on my desktop machine. Photoshop Elements came pre-installed on my laptop, and for most of what I end up doing with it, I didn't even bother installing the full Photoshop since Elements handled it.

I think PSP is a little cheaper than Elements, but Elements is worth the difference in price, from my experience.

Gimp is free, and very powerful, but the interface is awkward and clunky. If you're not a tech geek who likes to spend time messing with computery things, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
Gimp is free, and very powerful, but the interface is awkward and clunky. If you're not a tech geek who likes to spend time messing with computery things, I wouldn't recommend it. You'll spend a lot of time trying to figure it out.

Well, there is the GimpShop which is a photoshop looking Gimp. And I didn't find it too hard. If that would make me a geek, I'd be rich.

At least it is easier to learn Gimp than get the money for photoshop.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I have CS3. Great program, never used elements so I cant compare them, but if you're look to change the skies in your photo, or change backgrounds, with CS3 it can be done in literally probably 30 seconds and look good too(if done right).

Like what Martoon said, if you're in school, you can get the "Academic version" aka same thing as the regular but for student pricing. CS3 is $299USD. And comes with free upgrade to CS4
Adobe Photoshop CS3 Extended w/FREE upgrade to CS4 - WIN with Academic Discount at JourneyEd.com

But you can't just get the program and do it miraculously after installation. It takes a lil time to understand how all the tools work and stuff. Good luck.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
There is a "way" to get photoshop....*cough* piracy *cough*....bad cold I seem to have.

Photoshop is NOT easy to learn though, I personally use an old version of Macromedia Fireworks and GIMP instead of Photoshop usually.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Photoshop rocks, but you need a fuggin degree for it.

I'm a bit on the idiot side of comps for now as well. I had a friend teach me some of photoshop in Iraq in my little spare time.. So I do know how to take a pic, edit out the background, and put it into another pic or background. I can do the lasso and delete tool and the smudge tool.

We used it for a 300 parody of one of our squad leaders. ^_^ it rocked.