0 0%
First 5678 Last

Thread: Linux?

MBTI
    ENFP

I'm using Fedora mainly, now.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I use Ubuntu and Debian mainly, but I've been using a lot of OSX recently. I keep a copy of DSL on a pen drive on my person for those emergency geek situations.

Glad to see NFs flying the Linux banner!
    We don't need reason and we don't need logic, 'cause we've got feeling and we're damn proud of it!

Speeding Motorcycle - Daniel Johnston

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    linux on the other hand is free from the chains of capitalism. it is open source and it's free. software will become bigger than businesses trying to make a quick buck, it should be a sharing, mutual gain concept. go e-marxism!
    Not really. Open source is voluntary, not done by force. It's really annoying how many people fail to acknowledge this difference.

I use Windows because it's easier. I'd love to switch, but no other operating systems can compete.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ

Mac OSX 10.5.6. I my Mac with a passion and would never consider anything but Mac Though my ISTP brother has Linux and loves it, I don't see enough benefit of Linux over OSX

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifer View Post
    Dude, you have a legal copy too ? Wow, we are probably single handedly keeping microsoft afloat, because I don't know anyone else with a legal copy of windows.
    lolwut? I use a legal copy and I don't know anyone who doesn't.
    "NF - Yes"

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I fiddled with it for a few years. Although I prefer a command line, this kind of extremity is too much of a bother. Path of least resistance. Win2K/XP.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Am kinda a computer noob of sorts (mostly use computer to access internet). Considering installing Linux XP 2010 on a backup laptop. What issues/hassles/benefits will I likely notice at first? How long would it take me to get up to speed. Any suggested resources?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP

Ran Fedora for several years, then switched to Mandriva which is on my desk box. My laptop is a Mac only because I didn't have the mental energy into doing the research on compatible hardware when I needed one - and getting one pre-loaded was twice the cost of a MacBook, so ended up with the Mac.

I have messed around with about a dozen distros - both full installs and live CD. Fun.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Hmm a lot of this lingo is new for me. Any suggested links to help a noob get up to speed?
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Hmm a lot of this lingo is new for me. Any suggested links to help a noob get up to speed?

Well, haven't used looked at it thoroughly, but: The Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide | The best site to learn about choosing, using and installing Linux for beginners

It has sections for what linux is, how to choose a distribution, etc.

I've used a number of distributions over the years. My current favorite is Ubuntu.

Linux has made big strides over the last decade in becoming more accepting of different hardware and becoming more user-friendly. It still lacks the polish of some other OSes, and individual programs can be pretty idiosyncratic (especially older ones). It's not ideal for gaming, since most games are written to run on PCs using Direct X, and many video cards lack optimized drivers that work under Linux. Keep in mind you can install Linux to dual boot with another OS, which will allow you to boot back into Windows (or whatever), for gaming or other specialized purposes.

On the other hand, it is generally stable, efficient, and it's hard to beat the price. It's also nice for software development, and programming tools or either included or easy to install. It's also good for people who like to have many options and don't mind spending time and energy tweaking things to be just so.

With WINE, you can run some Windows Applications (check for support) plus there are free emulators (like BusyBox) available if you want to run Windows in a virtual machine. (Note these solutions generally aren't great for games, which a couple of specific exceptions.)

As far as Free Software... there are people in several philosophical/political camps. Keep in mind "free" here means "free as in free speech" not necessarily "free as in beer."

Almost all "free software" is free to use, but some of it does put an obligation on the user. For example, some licenses allow you to make changes to the software, to sell the resulting software, or to link a free library with your commercial software.

Other licenses are more restrictive, and require that the software always remain free (with source code available), and are "viral" in the sense that linking with those libraries means your program/application falls under the same license (making them unsuitable for use in most commercial products).

There are people in various camps who feel that only they are absolutely correct, and everyone else is an idiot. It's colorful, but can be a little tedious at times.