0 0%
First 34567 Last

Thread: Linux?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I have plenty of data I simply don't *want* to lose. Like umpteen gigs of mp3s, movies/TV shows, digital picture archives... etc. (Digital packrat, yeah, I know)

RAID5 doesn't suck, you just have to use it for the right reasons. It's more economical on space than RAID10 and still gives great read performance (just its write perf. sucks ass compared to raid10). At least, on any consumer-level RAID device. (Buy an EMC Symmetrix, for instance, and they claim RAID5's performance difference is negligible versus RAID10) I don't trust RAID10 any more than RAID5 to handle double-disk failures since RAID10 can fault on a double-disk failure in the right scenario; I'd use RAID6 if super-high-availability was my goal.

But for data protection, backups are the only solution
    Yeah, I know, and I never back anything up.

Disks are so cheap nowadays, I wouldn't consider RAID5 for anything commercial and for personal use, most people's storage requirements aren't going to make RAID 0+1 much more expensive than 5 anyway.

Who is gonna buy an EMC Symmetrix for home use? You might as well buy a John Deere to do your lawn.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Who is gonna buy an EMC Symmetrix for home use? You might as well buy a John Deere to do your lawn.
    I dunno, but I'd like to see someone who has... that would be funny. I do know someone who has an EMC Clariion in their basement. Supposedly got it "second hand" from an old job
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I dunno, but I'd like to see someone who has... that would be funny. I do know someone who has an EMC Clariion in their basement. Supposedly got it "second hand" from an old job
    Yeah. Geeks have all sorts of strange stuff in their basements.

MBTI
    ISFJ

I have Ubuntu on my desktop PC. I mainly use my Macbook Pro, but it's my secondary OS. Windows sucks.

If the point of type-voting was to say something about Open-source VS Closed-source software my vote counts for nothing really. I only started using Linux because I found it better, not because it's cheaper or more "communist".

MBTI
    INFP

Why I won't try Linux:

xkcd - A Webcomic - Cautionary

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    ^ you have a RAID 0 array for your home PC?
    Poseur!
    *jealous*

Multi-boots are more trouble than they're worth, IME.

Have you tried virtualization? Makes life easier if you can trash it all and start again, as long as you have the resources to make it feasible.
    I used to have RAID 0, but changed to just 2 SATA drives instead. I haven't done any video processing yet to see what the real world performance difference will be.

I tried some LiveCD's of different distros, but wanted to do a real install to get the full experience of the two most popular distros. I might do a virtual install just to try it though.

haha raid0...

*has 4-disk RAID5 on his fileserver downstairs worth about 1TB, running ubuntu 7.10, and a 2-disk raid1 (500GB SATA) plus lone WD Raptor 10K-rpm SATA in his other server, the AMD Opteron with 4GB RAM which acts as a router & VMware server, running ubuntu 7.04*
    Used to rock raid1 with my main workstation in my room, but I opted instead to buy an external SATA dock and just install separate O/S's on separate SATA disks and swap them when switching O/S. All my important data goes on the servers downstairs.
    Think I need to do a nice O/S refresh on those servers though.

*quits showing off*

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    I used to have RAID 0, but changed to just 2 SATA drives instead. I haven't done any video processing yet to see what the real world performance difference will be.

I tried some LiveCD's of different distros, but wanted to do a real install to get the full experience of the two most popular distros. I might do a virtual install just to try it though.

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Why I won't try Linux:
    This is giving me flashbacks from my experience with Red Hat 4.1.

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    I have Ubuntu on my desktop PC. I mainly use my Macbook Pro, but it's my secondary OS. Windows sucks.

If the point of type-voting was to say something about Open-source VS Closed-source software my vote counts for nothing really. I only started using Linux because I found it better, not because it's cheaper or more "communist".
    personally, i believe that those are closely linked. it is a better environment when everyone can chip in and improve a product. closed source means that you never really know what the fuck is in your OS.

MBTI
    INFJ

Linux obsidian 2.6.25-gentoo-r7 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Aug 21 15:29:52 PDT 2008 x86_64 AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Free Software attracts NFs and freeloaders alike. XP Service Pack 3 includes WGA so it's a bit trickier to avoid it now.
    I want something much more different
    Not these factories or prisons
    I wish that the Earth was green again
    I wish I had a gun in my hand

--Blackbird Raum

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by locke View Post
    XP Service Pack 3 includes WGA so it's a bit trickier to avoid it now.
    Requires a bit more effort, but nothing too difficult.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%