• SJ - No, but I have considered

0 0%
  • SJ - No

0 0%
First 23456 Last

Thread: Linux?

MBTI
    INTP

I tried it on a very, very old laptop (think desktop size that folds). I couldn't get the drivers for the wi-fi to work and then lost interest. Mostly because the laptop was so old that the battery was shot and you had to always have it plugged in. I have a Sun station at work that I use occasionally, laptop on Windows XP and my wife has a Mac. I was really hoping to get that old laptop working so that I could have the quadfecta (?).

Quote Originally Posted by BryNTP View Post
    I tried it on a very, very old laptop (think desktop size that folds).
    Which distro were you trying?

This sounds like a job for DSL: DSL information

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    linux on the other hand is free from the chains of capitalism. it is open source and it's free. software will become bigger than businesses trying to make a quick buck, it should be a sharing, mutual gain concept. go e-marxism!
    +1
    Linux kicks ass.
    Much faster/more stable than Windows for serious apps + customisable + easier to secure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    INFP

It is annoying that various bits and pieces won't work or install on all Linux installations unless you know all the details to compile from source, but that's the roundabout that pays for the swings of versatility. What doesn't work on Windows or works badly, you don't hear about or have no idea it could be better. I admit to having some Linux installation sitting in my downloads folder because I don't know where it all wants to find its libraries and I don't want to put it all in its own folder, Windows fashion. Others (like Realplayer) say libraries are missing no matter how many links and copies I make to them. I know that is all Windows-induced laziness encouraging me to rely on the System to know it all and be afraid to investigate and work it out for myself - what an allegory of normal corporate control!

A couple of months ago, my regular Iceweasel (Firefox with licensing changes) browser handled Flash substitute. Now that crashes it. Upgrade change? Something I damaged? Don't know. Still, Epiphany works but does not do other things that Iceweasel does. That is always the Linux story, 90% when you know 100% should be possible, but with Windows, you do not know 100% possible so don't miss it.

With Windows too, what has happened to MuckySoft's upgrade site? I had to re-install my XP a couple of months ago and the upgrade pages are regular 404 ever since. Every time I run Media Player 9 it tells me upgrade is available but following the link up always tells me there is no page. I had WMP 11 on the old system. Why have they blocked updates? I've seen other complaints and added my own but of course no response.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Oleander View Post
    It is annoying that various bits and pieces won't work or install on all Linux installations unless you know all the details to compile from source, but that's the roundabout that pays for the swings of versatility. What doesn't work on Windows or works badly, you don't hear about or have no idea it could be better. I admit to having some Linux installation sitting in my downloads folder because I don't know where it all wants to find its libraries and I don't want to put it all in its own folder, Windows fashion. Others (like Realplayer) say libraries are missing no matter how many links and copies I make to them. I know that is all Windows-induced laziness encouraging me to rely on the System to know it all and be afraid to investigate and work it out for myself - what an allegory of normal corporate control!
    Yeah, this is why I very rarely install anything other than stuff with repositories. Synaptic is handy. I have no idea where that stuff goes.

Default Update on my distro trials

I upgraded hard drive space and decided to install a triple boot of Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.01 (Hardy Heron), and openSUSE 11.0.

Results so far:

Windows XP
    works great, this install was cloned from the previous hard drive (a RAID 0 array... decided not to live on the edge anymore ).

Ubuntu
    works great. I've installed both KDE 3.5 (Kubuntu) and the default GNOME. KDE has tons of options, but that actually started to annoy me, so I'm back to GNOME (a very easy switch). Numerous autoupdates and installs were done without any problems. I'm writing this post using Firefox/GNOME/Ubuntu.

openSUSE
    I was using KDE 4. After the install, the autoupdater updated the boot of this OS into oblivion. Now I get "File not found" when I try to boot into this. It may be an issue with the boot-related files, since I changed the boot configuration after the SUSE install when I installed Ubuntu. I haven't had the desire to investigate the issue yet.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

^ you have a RAID 0 array for your home PC?
    Poseur!
    *jealous*

Multi-boots are more trouble than they're worth, IME.

Have you tried virtualization? Makes life easier if you can trash it all and start again, as long as you have the resources to make it feasible.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

haha raid0...

*has 4-disk RAID5 on his fileserver downstairs worth about 1TB, running ubuntu 7.10, and a 2-disk raid1 (500GB SATA) plus lone WD Raptor 10K-rpm SATA in his other server, the AMD Opteron with 4GB RAM which acts as a router & VMware server, running ubuntu 7.04*
    Used to rock raid1 with my main workstation in my room, but I opted instead to buy an external SATA dock and just install separate O/S's on separate SATA disks and swap them when switching O/S. All my important data goes on the servers downstairs.
    Think I need to do a nice O/S refresh on those servers though.

*quits showing off*
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    haha raid0...

*has 4-disk RAID5 on his fileserver downstairs worth about 1TB, running ubuntu 7.10, and a 2-disk raid1 (500GB SATA) plus lone WD Raptor 10K-rpm SATA in his other server, the AMD Opteron with 4GB RAM which acts as a router & VMware server, running ubuntu 7.04*
    Used to rock raid1 with my main workstation in my room, but I opted instead to buy an external SATA dock and just install separate O/S's on separate SATA disks and swap them when switching O/S. All my important data goes on the servers downstairs.
    Think I need to do a nice O/S refresh on those servers though.

*quits showing off*
    Yeah, actually I was thinking of RAID 0+1. RAID 5 sucks.

I don't have anything I can't afford to lose. I like it that way.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Yeah, actually I was thinking of RAID 0+1. RAID 5 sucks.

I don't have anything I can't afford to lose. I like it that way.
    I have plenty of data I simply don't *want* to lose. Like umpteen gigs of mp3s, movies/TV shows, digital picture archives... etc. (Digital packrat, yeah, I know)

RAID5 doesn't suck, you just have to use it for the right reasons. It's more economical on space than RAID10 and still gives great read performance (just its write perf. sucks ass compared to raid10). At least, on any consumer-level RAID device. (Buy an EMC Symmetrix, for instance, and they claim RAID5's performance difference is negligible versus RAID10) I don't trust RAID10 any more than RAID5 to handle double-disk failures since RAID10 can fault on a double-disk failure in the right scenario; I'd use RAID6 if super-high-availability was my goal.

But for data protection, backups are the only solution
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so