0 0%
  • SJ - No, but I have considered

0 0%
  • SJ - No

0 0%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Linux?

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    <3 linux, been using it since... 1997? All my computers at home run it (Ubuntu), although I dual boot windows XP on my workstation in my room (and have XP running on a virtual machine on the downstairs linux router/server). It helps that I deal primarily with Linux at my workplace... (thus my work laptop also runs linux )

I personally hate Windows and everything Microsoft stands for with a passion. Microsoft could die and I would only cheer. Any software I've ever written has been released under the GPL.

Although I use mostly Windows and Microsoft products at work (software development for huge non-profit place), I like Linux and the free software and open source idea, especially as for-profit software companies move toward time-limited licensing. I played with Red Hat 4 and 5 (when it was free) many years ago as a dual boot with Windows 98.

Recently I decided to give a few distros a try on an old Pentium II 400 MHz with 96 MB RAM and an 8 GB hard drive. Damn Small Linux (DSL) and Puppy Linux seemed like good options given this hardware, but I decided to see if I could get a full-weight distro working. The latest openSUSE (11) wouldn't run from a LiveCD, and an installation was more work since this machine was netless and openSUSE dropped install CD's in favor of a DVD's only. (The old DVD drive didn't support any of the DVD's I burned myself. I know I could've swapped a new one in temporarily, but meh.)

Next, I tried Ubuntu (with GNOME). GNOME was slow, and couldn't open some things due to low memory. I then downloaded the Xubuntu CD image and replaced GNOME with Xfce (without reinstalling the OS). (Xubuntu is just Ubuntu with Xfce installed by default.) This works much better, although it's still annoyingly slow on this ancient hardware. I also grabbed the Edubuntu iso for the kids, although we've yet to play with it.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post

Although I use mostly Windows and Microsoft products at work (software development for huge non-profit place), I like Linux and the free software and open source idea, especially as for-profit software companies move toward time-limited licensing. I played with Red Hat 4 and 5 (when it was free) many years ago as a dual boot with Windows 98.

Recently I decided to give a few distros a try on an old Pentium II 400 MHz with 96 MB RAM and an 8 GB hard drive. Damn Small Linux (DSL) and Puppy Linux seemed like good options given this hardware, but I decided to see if I could get a full-weight distro working. The latest openSUSE (11) wouldn't run from a LiveCD, and an installation was more work since this machine was netless and openSUSE dropped install CD's in favor of a DVD's only. (The old DVD drive didn't support any of the DVD's I burned myself. I know I could've swapped a new one in temporarily, but meh.)

Next, I tried Ubuntu (with GNOME). GNOME was slow, and couldn't open some things due to low memory. I then downloaded the Xubuntu CD image and replaced GNOME with Xfce (without reinstalling the OS). (Xubuntu is just Ubuntu with Xfce installed by default.) This works much better, although it's still annoyingly slow on this ancient hardware. I also grabbed the Edubuntu iso for the kids, although we've yet to play with it.
    Yeah the distros and apps have definitely grown/bloated with the HW, at least in the gui sense. Damn Small Linux worked well on an old Thinkpad I have (although recently it's goofed, but I believe it's HW-related... haven't bothered to check it in a while)

You might get a kick out of this: Look Ma, No ‘X’ | LinuxHaxor.net
    Includes some kind of "console windowing manager" (I'm tempted to try it out!)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I was on xubuntu too, but then I got a better machine from a friend. Anyways, one of the distros I tried with my poor old machine was Fluxbuntu (ubuntu with fluxbox) and it was very nice, but due to some minor problems that I had, I ditched it (I dont want to get a system that doesnt work perfectly to begin with). Maybe that might work for you?

Now I am on Ubuntu Studio.

You might get a kick out of this: Look Ma, No X | LinuxHaxor.net
    that's a funny looking distro...

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius has a dual boot of Ubuntu and XP. That said, he has not used Ubuntu much lately as he accidentally annihilated it some how. He is sort of procrastinating about putting it back on as he is lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

all OSs have their place. that being said...GO UBUNTU! i run hardy on my laptop and my one desktop, the other desktop just runs Reason 3...and thats it lol. btw, if you wanna run basically any windows app (except Reason of course) try a program called CrossOver...it's phenominal...eats WINE alive.
    "Honest differences are often a healthy sign of progress. "

"You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty."

"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind."

Mahatma Gandhi

Enneagram: 9w1

MBTI
    STUF

Several flavors of Linux, Solaris, Windows, and currently OSX 10.5 on my new Macbook, So far Windows and OSX are the most usable, OSX is more elegant though.
    Whoops.

You might get a kick out of this: Look Ma, No X | LinuxHaxor.net
    That's both interesting and somewhat amusing. It looks a little too much like IBM mainframe CICS for me to actually try it though.

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I was on xubuntu too, but then I got a better machine from a friend. Anyways, one of the distros I tried with my poor old machine was Fluxbuntu (ubuntu with fluxbox) and it was very nice, but due to some minor problems that I had, I ditched it (I dont want to get a system that doesnt work perfectly to begin with). Maybe that might work for you?

Now I am on Ubuntu Studio.
    Fluxbox is next on my list to try.

I hadn't heard of Ubuntu Studio. I definitely need that on my main home workstation! Thanks!

Next, I'm going to play with replacing the shell in XP.

MBTI
    INTJ

I use my ubuntu for pretty much anything I used my windows for, except gaming. I record music, I browse the internet, etc... Though, the best part of linux is that if/when there's a problem, there's a way to solve it without just rebooting your computer and then waiting for that problem to happen again.

The only thing I can really complain on is that Linux doesn't have any support for those higher end sound cards.
    I take no responsibility for my awful english.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I hadn't heard of Ubuntu Studio. I definitely need that on my main home workstation! Thanks!
    The Studio is best for me of all the distros I tried. And, get this, it is OFFICIAL... That means good support.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

BTW, notice how the NF people all have linux according to the poll. I would have thought that NTs are the more nerdy people.