• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Linux?

Do you have linux?

• NT - Yes

Votes: 17 22.4%
  • NT - No, but I have considered

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • NT - No

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • NF - Yes

Votes: 21 27.6%
  • NF - No, but I have considered

Votes: 6 7.9%
  • NF - No

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • SP - Yes

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • SP - No, but I have considered

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SP - No

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • SJ - Yes

• SJ - No, but I have considered

• SJ - No

• Total voters

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
<3 linux, been using it since... 1997? All my computers at home run it (Ubuntu), although I dual boot windows XP on my workstation in my room (and have XP running on a virtual machine on the downstairs linux router/server). It helps that I deal primarily with Linux at my workplace... (thus my work laptop also runs linux :D)

I personally hate Windows and everything Microsoft stands for with a passion. Microsoft could die and I would only cheer. Any software I've ever written has been released under the GPL.

:worthy:

Although I use mostly Windows and Microsoft products at work (software development for huge non-profit place), I like Linux and the free software and open source idea, especially as for-profit software companies move toward time-limited licensing. I played with Red Hat 4 and 5 (when it was free) many years ago as a dual boot with Windows 98.

Recently I decided to give a few distros a try on an old Pentium II 400 MHz with 96 MB RAM and an 8 GB hard drive. Damn Small Linux (DSL) and Puppy Linux seemed like good options given this hardware, but I decided to see if I could get a full-weight distro working. The latest openSUSE (11) wouldn't run from a LiveCD, and an installation was more work since this machine was netless and openSUSE dropped install CD's in favor of a DVD's only. (The old DVD drive didn't support any of the DVD's I burned myself. I know I could've swapped a new one in temporarily, but meh.)

Next, I tried Ubuntu (with GNOME). GNOME was slow, and couldn't open some things due to low memory. I then downloaded the Xubuntu CD image and replaced GNOME with Xfce (without reinstalling the OS). (Xubuntu is just Ubuntu with Xfce installed by default.) This works much better, although it's still annoyingly slow on this ancient hardware. I also grabbed the Edubuntu iso for the kids, although we've yet to play with it. :)

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
:worthy:

Although I use mostly Windows and Microsoft products at work (software development for huge non-profit place), I like Linux and the free software and open source idea, especially as for-profit software companies move toward time-limited licensing. I played with Red Hat 4 and 5 (when it was free) many years ago as a dual boot with Windows 98.

Recently I decided to give a few distros a try on an old Pentium II 400 MHz with 96 MB RAM and an 8 GB hard drive. Damn Small Linux (DSL) and Puppy Linux seemed like good options given this hardware, but I decided to see if I could get a full-weight distro working. The latest openSUSE (11) wouldn't run from a LiveCD, and an installation was more work since this machine was netless and openSUSE dropped install CD's in favor of a DVD's only. (The old DVD drive didn't support any of the DVD's I burned myself. I know I could've swapped a new one in temporarily, but meh.)

Next, I tried Ubuntu (with GNOME). GNOME was slow, and couldn't open some things due to low memory. I then downloaded the Xubuntu CD image and replaced GNOME with Xfce (without reinstalling the OS). (Xubuntu is just Ubuntu with Xfce installed by default.) This works much better, although it's still annoyingly slow on this ancient hardware. I also grabbed the Edubuntu iso for the kids, although we've yet to play with it. :)

Yeah the distros and apps have definitely grown/bloated with the HW, at least in the gui sense. Damn Small Linux worked well on an old Thinkpad I have (although recently it's goofed, but I believe it's HW-related... haven't bothered to check it in a while)

You might get a kick out of this: Look Ma, No ‘X’ | LinuxHaxor.net
Includes some kind of "console windowing manager" :D (I'm tempted to try it out!)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP

I was on xubuntu too, but then I got a better machine from a friend. Anyways, one of the distros I tried with my poor old machine was Fluxbuntu (ubuntu with fluxbox) and it was very nice, but due to some minor problems that I had, I ditched it (I dont want to get a system that doesnt work perfectly to begin with). Maybe that might work for you?

Now I am on Ubuntu Studio.

Includes some kind of "console windowing manager" :D (I'm tempted to try it out!)

:D that's a funny looking distro...

Falcarius

The Unwieldy Clawed One
MBTI Type
COOL
Falcarius has a dual boot of Ubuntu and XP. That said, he has not used Ubuntu much lately as he accidentally annihilated it some how. He is sort of procrastinating about putting it back on as he is lazy.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
all OSs have their place. that being said...GO UBUNTU! i run hardy on my laptop and my one desktop, the other desktop just runs Reason 3...and thats it lol. btw, if you wanna run basically any windows app (except Reason of course) try a program called CrossOver...it's phenominal...eats WINE alive.

Gish

Which side are you on?
MBTI Type
PTSD
Several flavors of Linux, Solaris, Windows, and currently OSX 10.5 on my new Macbook, So far Windows and OSX are the most usable, OSX is more elegant though.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
That's both interesting and somewhat amusing. It looks a little too much like IBM mainframe CICS :cry: for me to actually try it though. :ninja:

I was on xubuntu too, but then I got a better machine from a friend. Anyways, one of the distros I tried with my poor old machine was Fluxbuntu (ubuntu with fluxbox) and it was very nice, but due to some minor problems that I had, I ditched it (I dont want to get a system that doesnt work perfectly to begin with). Maybe that might work for you?

Now I am on Ubuntu Studio.
Fluxbox is next on my list to try. :D

I hadn't heard of Ubuntu Studio. I definitely need that on my main home workstation! Thanks!

Next, I'm going to play with replacing the shell in XP. :unsure:

sleeptowin

MBTI Type
INTJ
I use my ubuntu for pretty much anything I used my windows for, except gaming. I record music, I browse the internet, etc... Though, the best part of linux is that if/when there's a problem, there's a way to solve it without just rebooting your computer and then waiting for that problem to happen again.

The only thing I can really complain on is that Linux doesn't have any support for those higher end sound cards.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
I hadn't heard of Ubuntu Studio. I definitely need that on my main home workstation! Thanks!

The Studio is best for me of all the distros I tried. And, get this, it is OFFICIAL... That means good support.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
BTW, notice how the NF people all have linux according to the poll. I would have thought that NTs are the more nerdy people.

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I tried it on a very, very old laptop (think desktop size that folds). I couldn't get the drivers for the wi-fi to work and then lost interest. Mostly because the laptop was so old that the battery was shot and you had to always have it plugged in. I have a Sun station at work that I use occasionally, laptop on Windows XP and my wife has a Mac. I was really hoping to get that old laptop working so that I could have the quadfecta (?).

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
linux on the other hand is free from the chains of capitalism. it is open source and it's free. software will become bigger than businesses trying to make a quick buck, it should be a sharing, mutual gain concept. go e-marxism! :D

+1
Linux kicks ass.
Much faster/more stable than Windows for serious apps + customisable + easier to secure.

Oleander

MBTI Type
INFP
It is annoying that various bits and pieces won't work or install on all Linux installations unless you know all the details to compile from source, but that's the roundabout that pays for the swings of versatility. What doesn't work on Windows or works badly, you don't hear about or have no idea it could be better. I admit to having some Linux installation sitting in my downloads folder because I don't know where it all wants to find its libraries and I don't want to put it all in its own folder, Windows fashion. Others (like Realplayer) say libraries are missing no matter how many links and copies I make to them. I know that is all Windows-induced laziness encouraging me to rely on the System to know it all and be afraid to investigate and work it out for myself - what an allegory of normal corporate control!

A couple of months ago, my regular Iceweasel (Firefox with licensing changes) browser handled Flash substitute. Now that crashes it. Upgrade change? Something I damaged? Don't know. Still, Epiphany works but does not do other things that Iceweasel does. That is always the Linux story, 90% when you know 100% should be possible, but with Windows, you do not know 100% possible so don't miss it.

With Windows too, what has happened to MuckySoft's upgrade site? I had to re-install my XP a couple of months ago and the upgrade pages are regular 404 ever since. Every time I run Media Player 9 it tells me upgrade is available but following the link up always tells me there is no page. I had WMP 11 on the old system. Why have they blocked updates? I've seen other complaints and added my own but of course no response.

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
It is annoying that various bits and pieces won't work or install on all Linux installations unless you know all the details to compile from source, but that's the roundabout that pays for the swings of versatility. What doesn't work on Windows or works badly, you don't hear about or have no idea it could be better. I admit to having some Linux installation sitting in my downloads folder because I don't know where it all wants to find its libraries and I don't want to put it all in its own folder, Windows fashion. Others (like Realplayer) say libraries are missing no matter how many links and copies I make to them. I know that is all Windows-induced laziness encouraging me to rely on the System to know it all and be afraid to investigate and work it out for myself - what an allegory of normal corporate control!

Yeah, this is why I very rarely install anything other than stuff with repositories. Synaptic is handy. I have no idea where that stuff goes.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Update on my distro trials

I upgraded hard drive space and decided to install a triple boot of Windows XP, Ubuntu 8.01 (Hardy Heron), and openSUSE 11.0.

Results so far:

Windows XP
works great, this install was cloned from the previous hard drive (a RAID 0 array... decided not to live on the edge anymore ;)).

Ubuntu
works great. I've installed both KDE 3.5 (Kubuntu) and the default GNOME. KDE has tons of options, but that actually started to annoy me, so I'm back to GNOME (a very easy switch). Numerous autoupdates and installs were done without any problems. I'm writing this post using Firefox/GNOME/Ubuntu. :yes:

openSUSE
I was using KDE 4. After the install, the autoupdater updated the boot of this OS into oblivion. :shocking: Now I get "File not found" when I try to boot into this. It may be an issue with the boot-related files, since I changed the boot configuration after the SUSE install when I installed Ubuntu. I haven't had the desire to investigate the issue yet.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ you have a RAID 0 array for your home PC?
Poseur!
*jealous*

Multi-boots are more trouble than they're worth, IME.

Have you tried virtualization? Makes life easier if you can trash it all and start again, as long as you have the resources to make it feasible.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha raid0...

*has 4-disk RAID5 on his fileserver downstairs worth about 1TB, running ubuntu 7.10, and a 2-disk raid1 (500GB SATA) plus lone WD Raptor 10K-rpm SATA in his other server, the AMD Opteron with 4GB RAM which acts as a router & VMware server, running ubuntu 7.04*
Used to rock raid1 with my main workstation in my room, but I opted instead to buy an external SATA dock and just install separate O/S's on separate SATA disks and swap them when switching O/S. All my important data goes on the servers downstairs.
Think I need to do a nice O/S refresh on those servers though.

*quits showing off*

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haha raid0...

*has 4-disk RAID5 on his fileserver downstairs worth about 1TB, running ubuntu 7.10, and a 2-disk raid1 (500GB SATA) plus lone WD Raptor 10K-rpm SATA in his other server, the AMD Opteron with 4GB RAM which acts as a router & VMware server, running ubuntu 7.04*
Used to rock raid1 with my main workstation in my room, but I opted instead to buy an external SATA dock and just install separate O/S's on separate SATA disks and swap them when switching O/S. All my important data goes on the servers downstairs.
Think I need to do a nice O/S refresh on those servers though.

*quits showing off*

Yeah, actually I was thinking of RAID 0+1. RAID 5 sucks.

I don't have anything I can't afford to lose. I like it that way.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, actually I was thinking of RAID 0+1. RAID 5 sucks.

I don't have anything I can't afford to lose. I like it that way.
I have plenty of data I simply don't *want* to lose. Like umpteen gigs of mp3s, movies/TV shows, digital picture archives... etc. (Digital packrat, yeah, I know)

RAID5 doesn't suck, you just have to use it for the right reasons. It's more economical on space than RAID10 and still gives great read performance (just its write perf. sucks ass compared to raid10). At least, on any consumer-level RAID device. (Buy an EMC Symmetrix, for instance, and they claim RAID5's performance difference is negligible versus RAID10) I don't trust RAID10 any more than RAID5 to handle double-disk failures since RAID10 can fault on a double-disk failure in the right scenario; I'd use RAID6 if super-high-availability was my goal.

But for data protection, backups are the only solution :)