• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interplanetary Trade

Mole

Permabanned

Matter and energy can't go faster than the speed of light, while space and time can and do accelerate to faster than the speed of light.

The universe is so big and accelerating away from itself at every point, and the speed of light so slow interplanetary travel is nothing but a fantasy.

Mole

Permabanned
But that sidesteps the fact that even without EmDrive we can (and likely will) fly through the solar system in the next 200 years

Sure, our solar system is one of billions in our own galaxy, the Milky Way, and our galaxy is one of trillions, yes trillions, of galaxies in the universe, so it is likely there is other life in the universe but we will never met it. We can fly through the air but the laws of physics make it impossible to fly through space.

Mole

Permabanned

We no longer hear the voice of God, so we fantasize that God has left us because we offended Him, and we fantasize God has left us by going up into the clouds, Jesus ascended into heaven, and Mohamed was taken into heaven on the back of a winged horse.

And as we fantasize about the Sky God, we fantasize about other supernatural creatures above the clouds in space, and we fantasize about joining them.

And the speed of light, the size of the universe, and the short evolutionary lifespan of large celled animals like ourselves, laugh at our fantasies.

I mean we already have gone to space unless you're a moon landing hoaxer? Costs should drop in time as we create biofuels from algae and so forth in the future and eventually space elevators if we can create a suitable Metamaterial. Many scientists dream of going to Mars, are you calling them all shysters?

Last edited:

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
We no longer hear the voice of God, so we fantasize that God has left us because we offended Him, and we fantasize God has left us by going up into the clouds, Jesus ascended into heaven, and Mohamed was taken into heaven on the back of a winged horse.

And as we fantasize about the Sky God, we fantasize about other supernatural creatures above the clouds in space, and we fantasize about joining them.

And the speed of light, the size of the universe, and the short evolutionary lifespan of large celled animals like ourselves, laugh at our fantasies.

No offense, but I think statements like this are narrow-minded, you seem to think everything is just going to stay the same, even bodily death, which is generally accepted by everyone as "the only thing that is certain in life" may become a thing of the past once technology is advanced enough.

Mole

Permabanned
No offense, but I think statements like this are narrow-minded, you seem to think everything is just going to stay the same, even bodily death, which is generally accepted by everyone as "the only thing that is certain in life" may become a thing of the past once technology is advanced enough.

If you open your mind to natural selection over the last 4,000 million years, you will get things in perspective.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Carbon nanotubes are a viable option as well as boron nitrade nanotubes diamond nanothreads.

Space elevator

Yeah, I recently did research on space elevators for science class.

I'm sorry to say I have to agree with [MENTION=3325]Mole[/MENTION] about the concept of overcoming death. I don't think physics works quite that way.

I was thinking something along the lines of preserving the memory of the individual as a computer program and transferring it an artificial body. It's been already, I don't have the refernce right off the top of my my head, but on tv there was a scientist who did this with her partner. Basically, so her partner would live on forever, though it's questionable whether this is really the same person, it's a first step. I'm not saying science has the tools to stop death at this point (and I'm no expert), but in the future we don't know what could happen. ;)

Mole

Permabanned
When we went to the Moon, we turned our TV camera around and discovered The Environment, and it has been our preoccupation ever since. And today we look out into a universe that is accelerating away from itself in every direction in every point, and fantasise about interplanetary trade, while we are blind to 4,000 million years of history behind us. And this is because the USA had a revolution that negates history, just like any revolution before it. The USA has blinded itself, and the rest of us, to reality.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Personally I see in the future trade will follow advances in space travelling tech just like international trade became possible with the domestication of the horse and invention of the wheel and intercontinental trade became possible with the advent of good sailing ships so to me it makes sense that as we get faster and better space ships interplanetary trade will then follow suit.