• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

February is a stupid month.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is more of a math thing, but there is no "math" subforum.

There is no need for February to have 28 days. Think about it.

There are 365 days in non-leap years.

If each month was 30 days, that would account for 360 days of the year. Now, that would give us 5 days left over, so we couldn't do that. But we could do 7 months that are 30 days each, and 5 months that are 31 days.
7 * 30 = 210
5*31 =155
155+ 210 =365

When it comes to leap years, just make add an extra day to one of the 0 day months. There's no need, however, for a stupid 28-day month. Whoever came up with that was on crack.

Who else will get behind calendar reform?

Last edited:

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
"February" is also an awkward word. An awkword, if you will.

We should rename it "Ghostember."

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I could go either way - getting rid of it or re-naming it Ghostember both work for me.

Gone

I prefer 13 28-day-months (13x28=364) plus one (or two) days where everyone just stays home and does nothing. These will be the forgotten days that nobody ever talks about. So February is actually the only one that's doing it right. Or, to add some irony, we could attach the 365th day to February. Piss everyone off all at once! Woo!

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because we're still using a flawed calendar that has more or less been the same, with minor alterations, for centuries.

I've often wondered about why we divide our months as we do, and why we use 30+/- day divisions in the first place, when there's no good reason not to update.

I like the idea of possibly dividing the year into approximate quarter sections or perhaps fifths (5 sections 73 days each), although the fifths idea wouldn't really line up as well with 4 seasons, but then not all regions have 4 definitive seasons, so why accommodate just people in New Hampshire? Also changing it so that the new year would begin with either the Winter Solstice or Summer Solstice might be neat.

And I don't see any good reason to start the calendar at the assumed birth of Christ either. Why not date back as far as we know recorded history accurately goes?

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp

Alls we really need to do is get rid of that first R and add a few days.

Minor surgery really.:pandarage:

The Cat

Just a Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads
Staff member
leap years, daylight savings time, days not beginning at dawn and ending at dusk, the whole time system is a bureaucratic mess...

rav3n

You can thank Roman politics and the whims of monarchy for such a messed up month. I'm with you for a calendar reform and hope that you extend reform to the abolition of daylight savings time.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
February is the odd one out and I'm the odd one out. :( Even if we did calendar reform, I'd still be born before the reform, and I'd still be a freak. :cry:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And how will this benefit me?

The humble glories of working for a better future?

There was a bit on Seinfeld about how stupid the spelling of February is. That's another reason against it.

I prefer 13 28-day-months (13x28=364) plus one (or two) days where everyone just stays home and does nothing. These will be the forgotten days that nobody ever talks about. So February is actually the only one that's doing it right. Or, to add some irony, we could attach the 365th day to February. Piss everyone off all at once! Woo!

This system also works. Wouldn't that also insure one full moon a montth?

Because we're still using a flawed calendar that has more or less been the same, with minor alterations, for centuries.

I've often wondered about why we divide our months as we do, and why we use 30+/- day divisions in the first place, when there's no good reason not to update.

I like the idea of possibly dividing the year into approximate quarter sections or perhaps fifths (5 sections 73 days each), although the fifths idea wouldn't really line up as well with 4 seasons, but then not all regions have 4 definitive seasons, so why accommodate just people in New Hampshire? Also changing it so that the new year would begin with either the Winter Solstice or Summer Solstice might be neat.

I agree with you on the arbitrariness, but I don't like quarters. It reeks of some kind of corporate Blade Runner-esque dystopia.
And I don't see any good reason to start the calendar at the assumed birth of Christ either. Why not date back as far as we know recorded history accurately goes?
That would make more sense.
You can thank Roman politics and the whims of monarchy for such a messed up month. I'm with you for a calendar reform and hope that you extend reform to the abolition of daylight savings time.
I think I hate daylight savings time even more than February.

I'm curious about the historical reasons for the month of February. I know that July and August were both named after Roman emperors. I know that the New Year was once March 25th (why the hell they had the year change in the middle of the month is beyond me), and I know that either the amount or order of the months used to be different (hence, September, October, November and December). But, I know nothing about February except for the fact that it apparently means something like "making clean."

rav3n

I think I hate daylight savings time even more than February.

I'm curious about the historical reasons for the month of February. I know that July and August were both named after Roman emperors. I know that the New Year was once March 25th (why the hell they had the year change in the middle of the month is beyond me), and I know that either the amount or order of the months used to be different (hence, September, October, November and December). But, I know nothing about February except for the fact that it apparently means something like "making clean."
Why are there 28 days in February?

These are all very logical and sound reasons. But I say we should just get rid of it all together. In fact, every month, week, day, and year. Who's to say I need to go to work on Monday? Fuck that.

Gone

This system also works. Wouldn't that also insure one full moon a montth?

Unfortunately not, one lunar month is 29.5 days long on average (which I didn't know myself when I first came up with that system, exactly that was my reasoning... oh well. Still better than irregular month lengths.)

I'm with you on the daylight saving topic. Whoever invented that must be have been a special kind of stupid.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What's a 0 day month? That must be the month in which I vacation.

A 0 day month is obviously the month of Septober.

Unfortunately not, one lunar month is 29.5 days long on average (which I didn't know myself when I first came up with that system, exactly that was my reasoning... oh well. Still better than irregular month lengths.)

I'm with you on the daylight saving topic. Whoever invented that must be have been a special kind of stupid.

I swear daylight savings time was invented by time-traveling terrorists to make life more complicated.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I swear daylight savings time was invented by time-traveling terrorists to make life more complicated.

Probably true. I support calender reform as well as obliterating daylight savings time. In the case of an impasse, I support March annexing February and calling it good. It can be called Marchuary with a 6 month wait period before applying for NATO membership.

I've been up working since 4am. :coffee: