User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Mbti and CRISPR

  1. #1
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,393

    Default Mbti and CRISPR

    We can now accurately and cheaply alter the traits of animals, and plants by altering the genome.

    The way we alter the genome so accurately is called CHRISPR, and we are starting to alter the genome of humans for medical therapy, and to increase athletic ability, or memory, or concentration, or any other trait.

    But ask a geneticist if we can alter the traits mentioned in mbti, and they will laugh at us. And they laugh at us for the same reason astronomers laugh at us, if we ask them about astrology.

    And geneticist will laugh at us because mbti doesn't measure traits, mbti is fantasy, quite like astrology. And CHRISPR can't alter fantasy, in fact the idea is silly.

  2. #2
    sifting Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,811

    Default

    Of all the criticism's of MBTI that you've had over the years (and some do hold a bit of weight) this has to the the laziest, most obtuse reaching comparison I have seen you make . You're essentially trying to compare the east India current to a brick; there is no relation or conclusions to be had. If you're going to fire and brimstone all of us, at least put some weight behind it?
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

    Likes an hero liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member Red Ribbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    247

    Default

    What would you want to alter about MBTI? Would you like to eliminate all SJs from existence or something like that? MBTI is all about preferences. It would be like asking a genetic engineer if it was possible to remove people's liking for strawberry ice cream. Be more realistic.
    EII - Fi - INFj
    9w8(963, The Mediator)
    sx/so
    SLOEI

  4. #4
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,393

    Default Mbti and Ressentiment

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ribbon View Post
    What would you want to alter about MBTI? Would you like to eliminate all SJs from existence or something like that? MBTI is all about preferences. It would be like asking a genetic engineer if it was possible to remove people's liking for strawberry ice cream. Be more realistic.
    Mbti purports to be a measure of psychological types, but it is not. It is a cult, not based on evidence and reason, but based on faith.

    And it is an American cult because America is based on ideology, where by contrast, my country is based on history, allowing me an objective view of America.

    America is full of cults, none based on evidence and reason, but based on faith. And so Americans will not elect their President, unless he is man of faith.

    And the telltale sign of a cult is ressentiment. And ressentiment us stirred here on any sign of critical or original thinking.

    We have known about ressentiment for a long time and ressentiment forms part of Western philosophy, click on http://www.mercaba.org/SANLUIS/Filos...ssentiment.pdf

    And mbti is a cult informed by ressentiment.

  5. #5
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    Of all the criticism's of MBTI that you've had over the years (and some do hold a bit of weight) this has to the the laziest, most obtuse reaching comparison I have seen you make . You're essentially trying to compare the east India current to a brick; there is no relation or conclusions to be had. If you're going to fire and brimstone all of us, at least put some weight behind it?
    CHRISPR is a truely major advance in biology, so we can expect it to throw light in unexpected ways and unexpected places.

    And as CHRISPR allows us to change our traits easily and cheaply, we would expect it to throw light on mbti, which is ostensibly about traits.

    And it is true, if we ask any geneticist if we can use CHRISPR to change mbti traits, they will laugh at us, because mbti only fantasises about traits, and CHRISPR cannot change fantasy traits, only real traits.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Red Ribbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII Fi
    Posts
    247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Mbti purports to be a measure of psychological types, but it is not. It is a cult, not based on evidence and reason, but based on faith.

    And it is an American cult because America is based on ideology, where by contrast, my country is based on history, allowing me an objective view of America.

    America is full of cults, none based on evidence and reason, but based on faith. And so Americans will not elect their President, unless he is man of faith.

    And the telltale sign of a cult is ressentiment. And ressentiment us stirred here on any sign of critical or original thinking.

    We have known about ressentiment for a long time and ressentiment forms part of Western philosophy, click on http://www.mercaba.org/SANLUIS/Filos...ssentiment.pdf

    And mbti is a cult informed by ressentiment.
    Lol you know nothing about the US. I'm not American but I can tell you you're wrong. The US is the best country in the world and I dream of being American one day.
    EII - Fi - INFj
    9w8(963, The Mediator)
    sx/so
    SLOEI

  7. #7
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Red Ribbon View Post
    Lol you know nothing about the US. I'm not American but I can tell you you're wrong. The US is the best country in the world and I dream of being American one day.
    America is the best country in the world, and they tell us they have the best sense of humour in the world, without a trace of irony.

  8. #8
    sifting Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,811

    Default

    You do not understand what you're talking about, and are making wildly inappropriate extensions of the science. By the way, it's CRISPR, not "CHRISPR".
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


  9. #9
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,393

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    You do not understand what you're talking about, and are making wildly inappropriate extensions of the science. By the way, it's CRISPR, not "CHRISPR".
    Thank you for the correction: yes it is CRISPR.

    I do notice though you have been attacking me personally for a long time, such as above where you say You do not understand what you're talking about.

    It is plain you have an irrational animus towards me. And I don't expect this to change.

  10. #10
    sifting Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,811

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    Thank you for the correction: yes it is CRISPR.

    I do notice though you have been attacking me personally for a long time, such as above where you say You do not understand what you're talking about.

    It is plain you have an irrational animus towards me. And I don't expect this to change.
    Yes, I hate you guts, and you know this and you know why. Doesn't change the fact that you don't understand what CRISPR is or does. If you want to know more watch this, and stop trying to extrapolate off it's capabilities. Unless you highly educated in the scientific areas around it, then you can't properly do that. I'm highly educated in science and I don't extrapolate much off CRISPR because my education in that exact area is not at a high enough level.

    Leave things to the experts.

    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO