User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 19

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,994

    Default Stephen Hawking - How does he stay Alive?

    Stephen Hawking is about 74 years old. He has early-onset ALS and I think it was diagnosed when he was 21 years old.

    He should have been dead a long time ago.

    I understand how he communicates, basically, with a single cheek muscle. But what keeps him alive? Do they put him in an oxygen chamber at night? Or do they use the Darth Vader method?



    All responses are welcome.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”
    Likes Tellenbach, Peter Deadpan liked this post

  2. #2
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

  3. #3
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I did google it. I came up with the same link at the top of the search results. And if you had read the page it links to you would have found out that it doesn't answer my question.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  4. #4
    SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    He's learned to convert stupidity into life energy. His minions grab the average citizen once a month and bring them to a lab. Once there the victim is hooked up to a machine that feeds them their regular diet of top 40 music, reality tv, and celebrity news and the essence of their stupidity, now converted into an invigorating liquid, is transferred into Steven via his wheelchair. The withered husk of the victims is then sold to McDonalds to be processed as chicken McNuggets.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    He's learned to convert stupidity into life energy. His minions grab the average citizen once a month and bring them to a lab. Once there the victim is hooked up to a machine that feeds them their regular diet of top 40 music, reality tv, and celebrity news and the essence of their stupidity, now converted into an invigorating liquid, is transferred into Steven via his wheelchair.
    That of course would be an average British citizen. But I'm just having a hard time believing you unless you state that aliens are abducting humans to keep Hawking alive.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  6. #6
    SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Posts
    1,898

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    That of course would be an average British citizen. But I'm just having a hard time believing you unless you state that aliens are abducting humans to keep Hawking alive.
    If I admitted to alien involvement they'd sell me to McDonald's and I'd be Nuggetized. Duh. Oh shit!
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

    Mornings are for coffee and contemplation. Jim Hopper

  7. #7
    deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,953

    Default

    It does seem remarkable. Does anyone have the stats on the average life expectancy of someone with ALS? I'm guessing that he has a strong will to live.
    Senator Rand Paul is alive because of modern medicine and because his attacker punches like a girl.
    Likes magpie liked this post

  8. #8
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    I did google it. I came up with the same link at the top of the search results. And if you had read the page it links to you would have found out that it doesn't answer my question.
    Yes it does. Try reading it.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Mal12345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti
    Posts
    13,994

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Yes it does. Try reading it.
    The author is speculating. And he says outright that he has not done an exam on Hawking. He speculates on the basis that some ALS victims are spared the entire effects of the disease on the respiratory system and swallowing. But he doesn't know if that's the case with Hawking.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

  10. #10
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    The author is speculating. And he says outright that he has not done an exam on Hawking. He speculates on the basis that some ALS victims are spared the entire effects of the disease on the respiratory system and swallowing. But he doesn't know if that's the case with Hawking.
    SH's doctors don't know either. How would they? Think about it. Think hard.

    How would they find out exactly how he is still alive?

    Even an autopsy wouldn't tell them.

    But of course, if you don't get the exact answer to your questions, the natural next step is obviously to go on an anonymous message board for advice.

Similar Threads

  1. My top job skill? How about staying alive...
    By speculative in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 04:27 PM
  2. How does this image make you feel? V.3
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 12-23-2008, 03:55 PM
  3. How does chronic illness affect type?
    By TexasChaos in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM
  4. How does auxiliary function look like?
    By alcea rosea in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 11:18 PM
  5. How does this seem it would work in World of Warcraft?
    By Zergling in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO