User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Stephen Hawking - How does he stay Alive?

Stephen Hawking is about 74 years old. He has early-onset ALS and I think it was diagnosed when he was 21 years old.

He should have been dead a long time ago.

I understand how he communicates, basically, with a single cheek muscle. But what keeps him alive? Do they put him in an oxygen chamber at night? Or do they use the Darth Vader method?

All responses are welcome.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.
    Likes Tellenbach, Peter Deadpan liked this post

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    I did google it. I came up with the same link at the top of the search results. And if you had read the page it links to you would have found out that it doesn't answer my question.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

He's learned to convert stupidity into life energy. His minions grab the average citizen once a month and bring them to a lab. Once there the victim is hooked up to a machine that feeds them their regular diet of top 40 music, reality tv, and celebrity news and the essence of their stupidity, now converted into an invigorating liquid, is transferred into Steven via his wheelchair. The withered husk of the victims is then sold to McDonalds to be processed as chicken McNuggets.
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.
    Likes Peter Deadpan liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Population: 1 View Post
    He's learned to convert stupidity into life energy. His minions grab the average citizen once a month and bring them to a lab. Once there the victim is hooked up to a machine that feeds them their regular diet of top 40 music, reality tv, and celebrity news and the essence of their stupidity, now converted into an invigorating liquid, is transferred into Steven via his wheelchair.
    That of course would be an average British citizen. But I'm just having a hard time believing you unless you state that aliens are abducting humans to keep Hawking alive.

SpaceCadetGoldStarBrigade Population: 1's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Mal12345 View Post
    That of course would be an average British citizen. But I'm just having a hard time believing you unless you state that aliens are abducting humans to keep Hawking alive.
    If I admitted to alien involvement they'd sell me to McDonald's and I'd be Nuggetized. Duh. Oh shit!
    To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity. Douglas Adams

As per orders of the No likes experiment I am not liking posts for the duration.

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

It does seem remarkable. Does anyone have the stats on the average life expectancy of someone with ALS? I'm guessing that he has a strong will to live.
    Liberty means the ability to say "No thanks, perhaps later. I'm gonna go take a nap now."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I did google it. I came up with the same link at the top of the search results. And if you had read the page it links to you would have found out that it doesn't answer my question.
    Yes it does. Try reading it.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    Yes it does. Try reading it.
    The author is speculating. And he says outright that he has not done an exam on Hawking. He speculates on the basis that some ALS victims are spared the entire effects of the disease on the respiratory system and swallowing. But he doesn't know if that's the case with Hawking.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The author is speculating. And he says outright that he has not done an exam on Hawking. He speculates on the basis that some ALS victims are spared the entire effects of the disease on the respiratory system and swallowing. But he doesn't know if that's the case with Hawking.
    SH's doctors don't know either. How would they? Think about it. Think hard.

How would they find out exactly how he is still alive?

Even an autopsy wouldn't tell them.

But of course, if you don't get the exact answer to your questions, the natural next step is obviously to go on an anonymous message board for advice.