• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A paradox science can't explain.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Why do I enjoy real cherries more than real strawberries, but artificial strawberry flavor better than artificial cherry flavor? If science was so good, it would either have an explanation for this, or would be able to duplicate the flavors well enough that I would have the exact same preferences. Answer me this, scienticians.

To science:

your_out_of_luck_n00b.jpg

á´…eparted

passages
It's actually kind of simple to explain why real and artificial flavors taste different. In the majority of cases, an artificial flavor is a single organic compound added to a food. Tn the case of strawberries there are dozens of molecules that combine to give the flavor in the native fruit. Some are present in a large number of fruits. It's not due to one single thing, but our brains interpret this ensemble as a single thing. When it comes to artificial flavors, the flavor and fragrances industry usually uses ethyl methylphenylglycidate for strawberry flavor. That molecules creates a close mimic to the flavor of straw berries in a single compound, but it's impossible to create the exact same flavor with one component when the original is dozens. Hence, artificial flavors taste or smell slightly off compared to the original. The vast majority of flavors and fragrances of artificial origin operate this way.

However, there are some exceptions, the most noteworthy is rose oil, which is quite easy to replicate as the principle oderant in the native plant (aptly named rose oxide) is all that is needed for an individual to recognize the oder as rose. Though other readily available compounds can be added to bring it in more alignment with the original smell.

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm the opposite. I prefer real strawberries but cherry flavoring.

I prefer real fruit. Except Snapple Apple and it's super mutant pear juice that tastes more apple-ly than apples. Wow that's pretty weird. Oh well.

Lark

Why do I enjoy real cherries more than real strawberries, but artificial strawberry flavor better than artificial cherry flavor? If science was so good, it would either have an explanation for this, or would be able to duplicate the flavors well enough that I would have the exact same preferences. Answer me this, scienticians.

To science:

your_out_of_luck_n00b.jpg

He's in heaven like always.

Anyway, cherries and cherry flavouring is the best thing ever. That's that sorted out. Next question.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I really love those freeze dried strawberries. They're tart, chewy and just plain good. I don't have to share since no one else will touch them. Fake cherry flavor is good in a slurpee or something like that but I would rather have fresh.

Also; I love cherry pie but strawberry pie is not good. Warm strawberries are just not ok. Blueberry pie, otoh is magnificent.

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
Why does almond extract smell and taste like cherries more than cherries smell and taste like cherries?

WELL, SCIENCE???

burningranger

Ambience seeker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ROFL 21st century and people still believe in science?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My vanilla flavored vape tastes like chocolatey and yummy biscotti but every chocolate flavored vape I've tried tastes like stale tootsie rolls.

Why does everything taste like chicken except for chicken nuggets?

Perhaps we are in the Matrix and the robots messed up. The only thing that really is chicken are those scary little nuggets. The chicken taste in everything else is the amalgamation of every food flavor but chicken. :shock:

á´…eparted

passages
Why does almond extract smell and taste like cherries more than cherries smell and taste like cherries?

WELL, SCIENCE???

I can't seem to find any information on the oderant constituents of almond oil, but I can speculate some.

By and large, most oil extracts of nuts, fruits, flowers, etc. contain a consistent group of molecules called terpenes (limonene, pinene, linalool, and many others) in varying levels. In many cases these varying levels plays a minor but significant part of the overall oder. It's possible that these are rather close between almonds and cherries,

Just don't go eating or smelling bitter almonds as they contain hydrogen cyanide (which incidentally smells like almonds).

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I can't seem to find any information on the oderant constituents of almond oil, but I can speculate some.

By and large, most oil extracts of nuts, fruits, flowers, etc. contain a consistent group of molecules called terpenes (limonene, pinene, linalool, and many others) in varying levels. In many cases these varying levels plays a minor but significant part of the overall oder. It's possible that these are rather close between almonds and cherries,

Just don't go eating or smelling bitter almonds as they contain hydrogen cyanide (which incidentally smells like almonds).

I knew you wouldn't let me down.

Mole

Permabanned

WELL, SCIENCE???

You are so right. There is so much science doesn't know, and every day science discovered more things they don't know.

Gone

You are so right. There is so much science doesn't know, and every day science discovered more things they don't know.

That's the most awesome thing about science imo. Knowing everything is boring. But puzzles to solve, new ways to discover, wonders that seem impossible... gimme.