• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

A paradox science can't explain.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's actually kind of simple to explain why real and artificial flavors taste different. In the majority of cases, an artificial flavor is a single organic compound added to a food. Tn the case of strawberries there are dozens of molecules that combine to give the flavor in the native fruit. Some are present in a large number of fruits. It's not due to one single thing, but our brains interpret this ensemble as a single thing. When it comes to artificial flavors, the flavor and fragrances industry usually uses ethyl methylphenylglycidate for strawberry flavor. That molecules creates a close mimic to the flavor of straw berries in a single compound, but it's impossible to create the exact same flavor with one component when the original is dozens. Hence, artificial flavors taste or smell slightly off compared to the original. The vast majority of flavors and fragrances of artificial origin operate this way.

However, there are some exceptions, the most noteworthy is rose oil, which is quite easy to replicate as the principle oderant in the native plant (aptly named rose oxide) is all that is needed for an individual to recognize the oder as rose. Though other readily available compounds can be added to bring it in more alignment with the original smell.

I think I remember reading that tomatoes are pretty complex, as well. I don't think I've ever heard of artificial tomato flavoring, for that reason. I actually don't think artificial flavors are a bad thing (except for artificial sweetener).... I particular love blue raspberry; but they are different to their natural counterparts, clearly. That doesn't make them better or worse.

Does Beaver Tush Flavor Your Strawberry Shortcake? We Go Myth Busting

Basically, many people love the scent and taste of beaver anal gland secretions. :D

Well, generally speaking, lots of people like beaver.

Metis

Why do I enjoy real cherries more than real strawberries, but artificial strawberry flavor better than artificial cherry flavor? If science was so good, it would either have an explanation for this, or would be able to duplicate the flavors well enough that I would have the exact same preferences. Answer me this, scienticians.

To science:

your_out_of_luck_n00b.jpg

No, you're absolutely right. Real cherries taste yummier than real strawberries, but artificial strawberry flavor tastes nicer than artificial cherry flavor.

It's also weird that you posted The Burger King mascot, because I took an online quiz last night, "Which Fast Food Mascot Is Your Soulmate?" and it said The Burger King was my soulmate.

There's something going on here... :rly???: :sherlock:

So to get back to the matter of cherries vs. strawberries... Cherries, if they're sweet, taste and feel more thick, juicy, and meaty. Strawberries, on the other hand, have a more watered-down sort of sweetness, plus they're more likely to be tart, IME. I also don't like the seeds. And sometimes people chill them, which makes them worse, because then they're cold. To me, cherries are more akin to fresh, homegrown, juicy tomatoes right out of someone's yard, while strawberries are more like pale, watery, less flavorful tomatoes.

As for the artificial flavors, artificial strawberry is interesting (a little bit) and complex (a little bit), and artificial cherry tastes like metal. That's why the former is better.

I hope this helps. [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] can peer-review my work on this problem. Thanks for pointing it out, Julius.

rose oxide

"Rose Oxide."
That's a pretty name.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
No, you're absolutely right. Real cherries taste yummier than real strawberries, but artificial strawberry flavor tastes nicer than artificial cherry flavor.

It's also weird that you posted The Burger King mascot, because I took an online quiz last night, "Which Fast Food Mascot Is Your Soulmate?" and it said The Burger King was my soulmate.

There's something going on here... :rly???: :sherlock:

Burger King for president!

So to get back to the matter of cherries vs. strawberries... Cherries, if they're sweet, taste and feel more thick, juicy, and meaty. Strawberries, on the other hand, have a more watered-down sort of sweetness, plus they're more likely to be tart, IME. I also don't like the seeds. And sometimes people chill them, which makes them worse, because then they're cold. To me, cherries are more akin to fresh, homegrown, juicy tomatoes right out of someone's yard, while strawberries are more like pale, watery, less flavorful tomatoes.

That is a brilliant analogy. I don't mind the seeds, but I often find strawberries kind of bland, unless you put lots of whipped cream on them.

Oddly enough, as a kid, I used to be afraid to eat the strawberry leaves.
As for the artificial flavors, artificial strawberry is interesting (a little bit) and complex (a little bit), and artificial cherry tastes like metal. That's why the former is better.

It has a medicinal taste... like Robitussin.

Metis

That is a brilliant analogy.

Thanks.

I don't mind the seeds, but I often find strawberries kind of bland, unless you put lots of whipped cream on them.

I've actually had some really good strawberry ice cream that tastes just like strawberries & cream (except that it's cold). I know this because I had strawberries & cream once. It was good. Try it.

I wonder if cherries & cream would be better, or if it would curdle? (Any scientists know? [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION]? Or do I have to try this and see for myself?

:wizfreak:
CAPTION: Scientist, 21st Century BCDC

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Thanks.

I've actually had some really good strawberry ice cream that tastes just like strawberries & cream (except that it's cold). I know this because I had strawberries & cream once. It was good. Try it.

I wonder if cherries & cream would be better, or if it would curdle? (Any scientists know? @Hard? Or do I have to try this and see for myself?

Well, I've done cherries with whipped cream. That's good. Cranberry sauce and whipped cream is also a delight, for that matter. I wouldn't expect cherries and cream to curdle.... curdling is usually caused by acid, as far as I know, and cherries have less tartness than strawberries.