User Tag List

Enneagram
    8 sx/sp

Default Dual Booting Windows 10 & Linux Mint

Hello there, I wish everyone well.

I have a question to ask, how I can dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 10? Currently, I have Windows 10 installed in my computer as the OS, yet, as a person who got bored by bugs and issues of Windows, I plan to switch to Linux while using the computer for my personal amusement and browsing, whereas I'd still like the keep Windows 10 in my system and choose one of them as the OS while I am booting my computer.

Any help / guide is going to be appreciated.

Cheerio.
    Mercifulness is not a trait that the weak can possess. The world is full of idiots who like to think that they are merciful in order to forget that they actually are weak.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

You can either partition the disk, or just boot off of a USB distro.

Dual Boot: Guide To Install Linux Mint Alongside Windows

I believe for a Live USB distro you can just follow the first steps for creating the USB boot drive and never install.
    Likes Glados, Floki liked this post

Retired

My machine has a dual partition of Windows 10 and Kali Linux. The installation will work differently depending on the particular Linux distribution you want to install. For example, Ubuntu has an installer that does a lot of the work for you.

To install the Linux partition, I first opened the BIOS and disabled "Secure Boot."

Then, I inserted a USB distro, went into the BIOS, and changed the settings so the USB distro had the highest priority when booting.

Afterward, I booted into the Linux distro, opened a terminal, and entered the command "gparted." This should give you a GUI window, allowing you to make a suitable amount of free space for your new partition. If you prefer, Windows 10 gives a similar utility if you search "partition" on your taskbar. I personally think Kali Linux has a better option with the "gparted" command (and you probably have that tool on Mint too). It allows you to more closely examine attributes of the partitions on your disk, overwrite portions of the disk with zeros, etc..

Finally, I restarted the machine, and when the GRUB loader presented all its options, I selected the option to install.

Again, with Linux Mint, you'll probably have a different experience, such as a more user friendly installer, but you could probably follow some of the steps I took to install it.
    In challenge lies opportunity.
    Likes Qlip, Glados liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glados View Post
    Hello there, I wish everyone well.

I have a question to ask, how I can dual boot Linux Mint with Windows 10? Currently, I have Windows 10 installed in my computer as the OS, yet, as a person who got bored by bugs and issues of Windows, I plan to switch to Linux while using the computer for my personal amusement and browsing, whereas I'd still like the keep Windows 10 in my system and choose one of them as the OS while I am booting my computer.

Any help / guide is going to be appreciated.

Cheerio.
    Why do you want to keep Win 10? When I first started using Linux, it was still WinXP for most people. I considered dual-booting, then took one look at linux in "trial mode" using a bootable USB, and decided to go 100% linux. I haven't missed Win since.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Why do you want to keep Win 10? When I first started using Linux, it was still WinXP for most people. I considered dual-booting, then took one look at linux in "trial mode" using a bootable USB, and decided to go 100% linux. I haven't missed Win since.
    I have some applications & games in Windows I might need and those are not compatible with Linux.
    Mercifulness is not a trait that the weak can possess. The world is full of idiots who like to think that they are merciful in order to forget that they actually are weak.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius used to dual boot when he was a noob at Ubuntu about 5 years ago or so but now just uses Ubuntu. From what he remembers it was easy enough to partition, but in the end he had to start again on a cleared formatted hard-drive and transfer important documents to external hard drive otherwise Windows kept spazzing out; not sure if that is the case with Windows 10 as it must have been Vista what Falcarius was using at the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Glados View Post
    I have some applications & games in Windows I might need and those are not compatible with Linux.
    Can you run these under Wine, or a VM?
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Enneagram
    8 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Can you run these under Wine, or a VM?
    VM does not seem possible but I have never heard about Wine before, I might check that out.