• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Solar Eclipse - August 21, 2017

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still think Trump is knocking the venerable historical sun down at 2:40pm EST today, so he can put up a yuger bigger brighter one that says "Trump" on it.

The whole eclipse is just a cover story by the shadow conspiracy lurking in NASA. You know it's true.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I still think Trump is knocking the venerable historical sun down at 2:40pm EST today, so he can put up a yuger bigger brighter one that says "Trump" on it.

The whole eclipse is just a cover story by the shadow conspiracy lurking in NASA. You know it's true.

It's great to have one day where the news is dominated by science, facts and reality.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My eyes be looking directly at it

do it kill me come on ah'm heeya DO IT!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going outside shortly with my glasses, the moment of truth for us is 2:40pm EST.
Work lets out for some people at 2:30pm, so I bet there will be a number of people out in the parking lot.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
There was a huge crowd outside the one work gate, extending into the parking lot.

It was interesting, with the glasses on. the sun was reduced to a sliver, but on the top part -- like a crescent moon, but of course it being the sun and "fallen over" versus mostly vertical like a crescent moon.

I took a picture by putting one lens of the glasses over my cell phone aperture, and it did get a pic or two of it... but the crescent looks fatter in the picture than it actually was. Maybe it was just the angle I was holding the camera at.

I was disappointed that, even with 80%+ totality, there really wasn't much of a noticeable shift in sunlight. It still looked pretty light out.

Atomic Fiend

Yeah we got the eclipse but it was only at partial toatlity, so we got nothing.

Damn you 3rd grade teacher!

xpost-rreactiongifs-baDHsD0Bk3K5a

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The next one in the USA is on April 8, 2024, and it is going straight from Texas to Maine so IT IS ALL MINE THAT TIME BIATCHES

:rock:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if there's beer on the sun during an eclipse.

If there is, it's LIGHT BEER.

HAHAH. GET IT? LIGHT BEER? I know, it's kind of subtle.

light-beer.jpg

dammit, no that's beer normally.

I guess it would be a Dark Beer. :doh:

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I took a picture by putting one lens of the glasses over my cell phone aperture, and it did get a pic or two of it... but the crescent looks fatter in the picture than it actually was. Maybe it was just the angle I was holding the camera at.
I tried the same thing, with two different cameras, and got similar results. There is blooming in the camera's detector array due to saturation of pixels where the light intensity was brightest. This seeps over into neighboring pixels, causing them to register signal, too. This can be avoided with properly selected filters, which will be different from what we need simply to protect our eyes during direct viewing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It was cool, but I was more amazed by how the glasses made everything pitch black.

I tried mine on while inside, and they were perfectly opaque.... at least they looked that way. only something with the intensity of the sun was able to force its way through.