• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Science shows generosity causes happiness

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms15964

The abstract:

Generous behaviour is known to increase happiness, which could thereby motivate generosity. In this study, we use functional magnetic resonance imaging and a public pledge for future generosity to investigate the brain mechanisms that link generous behaviour with increases in happiness. Participants promised to spend money over the next 4 weeks either on others (experimental group) or on themselves (control group). Here, we report that, compared to controls, participants in the experimental group make more generous choices in an independent decision-making task and show stronger increases in self-reported happiness. Generous decisions engage the temporo-parietal junction (TPJ) in the experimental more than in the control group and differentially modulate the connectivity between TPJ and ventral striatum. Importantly, striatal activity during generous decisions is directly related to changes in happiness. These results demonstrate that top–down control of striatal activity plays a fundamental role in linking commitment-induced generosity with happiness.

Entire article at the link.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Isn't that what they call a no-brainer?

How many people feel worse after they do something generous?

citizen cane

ornery ornithologist
MBTI Type
BIRD
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp
I bet [MENTION=20113]Tellenbach[/MENTION] would find this interesting.

It sounds like an evolutionary benefit to an animal that is social and survives better in groups. The reward spurs individuals to share which strengthens the collective. Makes sense.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
I do notice a difference in my emotions between giving of my own free will vs being prodded to do so. For example, if I'm tipping the Subway sandwich maker, I feel happier than when I'm giving money to a panhandler holding up a sign by the side of the road.

Luigi

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I do notice a difference in my emotions between giving of my own free will vs being prodded to do so. For example, if I'm tipping the Subway sandwich maker, I feel happier than when I'm giving money to a panhandler holding up a sign by the side of the road.

Don't you ever get a little worried that the pandhandler could try to steal from you, or threaten your life, with some concealed weapon?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Quint said:
Don't you ever get a little worried that the pandhandler could try to steal from you, or threaten your life, with some concealed weapon?

Yes, so I only give to panhandlers I can beat up. :D I give mostly to female panhandlers because I feel bad for them; most of them are elderly and fragile.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
sex, generosity and bacon

Thats why rich people have so much sex... or bacon :)