• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Advice re: AT&T "U-Verse" Hook-Up

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I agreed to let these guys come out tomorrow to get me set up for this U-Verse thing which will give me IPTV, internet hook-up, and telephone. Has anybody else tried this ?

I looked on the net and it seems the main probs with it are that you cannot record the HD channel unless it is the one in play at the moment. The channels do not switch quickly. Others have said that it freezes up ( at crucial moments in sports events ) sometimes or pixillates. Other people say "no probs at all". Perhaps they are closer to the DSLAM or the 58B box ?

One advisor said to tell them that RG6 cables are "unacceptable" ( to use Rhu's favorite word ) and to go with CAT5 only. I've told them that I have a Mac and they said that it should be OK since I have a recent version of the operating system. However it is a Microsoft product, I just now read. Oi.

The price is slightly higher than I am paying now for wireline unlimited local and long distance phone and a DSL internet connection. I'm currently getting about 60 or 70 channels for free on Cable, by plugging in to the wall outlet even though I'm not a subscriber. I get the "standard" service.

Supposedly these guys are going to come in through that same cable access point. I said "yes" to it because I would supposedly get 200 channels and a better picture for a price about what I'm already paying. I hope I'm not setting myself up for misery.

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
All the wonderful advice I received on this from you guys has convinced me to cancel the install. Never mind.