User Tag List

First 2345 Last

MBTI
    I

This seems somewhat accurate. I've found that younger siblings are usually (but not always) dumber than their older ones.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

The IQ thing might be accurate. My ISTJ older twin is a straight A student. I'm a B+ student.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Steven Pinker (in "The Blank Slate") says actually that birth-order social bonuses/negatives don't carry through outside the family into general society. IOW, if you're the eldest in your family, then you do have a particular role there... but it doesn't clarify how you'll act and compose yourself in the wider populace.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    This seems somewhat accurate. I've found that younger siblings are usually (but not always) dumber than their older ones.

Hmm...my family is the reverse of this. The youngest is the most intelligent.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Families' Eldest Boys Do Better on Tests

I guess my question here is, is this actually a significant difference? 2-3 points of IQ maximum (if that)? I suppose there is a bell curve, so a few people won't seem to improve at all while another group will show more significant improvement, but still...

It reminds me faintly of making a large deal about how someone's cancer rate might be 50% higher than another group's... but if the chance of contracting cancer is only 0.0020% to start with, is 0.0030% really much different, practically speaking, and worth all the hype?
    We did a test 5/6 years back, some national IQ test on tv.

My brother, 3 years older (ENTP, 23) scored 126.

I (INTP, 20) scored 138

My sister, (ESFJ, 17) scored 110, we were actually amazed since my sister had the lowest education of us all due to her dyslexy.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Steven Pinker (in "The Blank Slate") says actually that birth-order social bonuses/negatives don't carry through outside the family into general society. IOW, if you're the eldest in your family, then you do have a particular role there... but it doesn't clarify how you'll act and compose yourself in the wider populace.
    i think that's probably true. but i do think the role you have in your family influences how you act outside your family. your family can be somewhat of a model for interacting with people, since they are the first strong relationships you develop. so i guess what i am saying is, if the oldest child is for instance the 'smart kid' in the family, i think they develop patterns of behavior within the family that they are likely to carry over to the world outside the family. and maybe they tend to extrovert or focus their intelligence outside of the family too.

for what it's worth, i am the younger of 2 brothers, and my brother was much smarter than me.

MBTI
    I

There is a basic explanation I got for the higher IQ of older siblings. There is nothing biological here, it's more psychological than anything else. The older siblings have (in general) more responsibility than the younger ones and have a tendency to act more mature. Their IQ increases. Why is it purely psychological? Because the IQ of the younger siblings rose almost 3 points on average (quite a lot) when the older siblings died.

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    The IQ thing might be accurate. My ISTJ older twin is a straight A student. I'm a B+ student.
    But that doesn't say anything about IQ. He could be more hard-working than you.

MBTI
    fool

How can you tell a person is dumber? And what does that "dumber" mean, how does it display itself?

Younger siblings take on different roles in their families; as do older siblings. Older siblings probably prolly will have to learn how to adjust to situations and repress their frustration more to an extent. It's complex and multifaceted, but it determines a lot - what we're expected of, how we're perceived as, what kind of behaviour is encouraged & symphatised & gains relatively more positive feedback etc. Filling holes. Younger siblings may have it easier on the parental expectation card and depending on the individual that lowers the motivation for approval-seeking and depending on the individual can manifest in many ways... And that with very many other variables.

Unless this thread was about some biological factor that determines the younger ones being born "dumber" as default?

But one very important factor to consider I believe in all of this IQ babble is self-efficacy. People with high IQ would theoretically have an advantage when it comes to it, but it's far from being the lone determinant. "Can I do this" - people with high IQ can struggle equally because of emotional roadblocks (upbringing).

Of course parenting can have an impact on harnesting and cultivating their offspring's abilities. If the "stakes" are put on the older ones shoulders and far less / none on the younger ones (stereotypical) - maybe the price of falling wouldn't be as devastating for the younger one as it'd be for the older - and would make the older try harder (for whatever here is the valuable factor, be it success in academia, work etc). But that's really black & white actually... May it be the appereance that's more important than the innate will for growth in x ? That would explain some of it, if there's something to be explained.

MBTI
    I

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    How can you tell a person is dumber? And what does that "dumber" mean, how does it display itself?
    I made that statement way back in January, don't really know why I said that. I think I took the example of one family I know. Read my response today (right above yours) to see a more accurate opinion of mine.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

(IQ scores in birth order)

Me: 103 to 110
    Sister (ENTP): 144
    Brother (INTJ): 167
    Littlest sister (ENFP): 89

... So, I wouldn't know for sure about any particular correlation, here.