First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by nightning View Post
    IQ means something... but an average difference of 2 points in IQ between first/second born is negliable considering the normalized standard deviation of IQ tests are fixed at 11. The tiny different there, to me, means nothing more than a sampling error. Unless there's more info given on the data... ie SE/variance, the average IQ scores can't be compared.
    Agreed, we should have all the info on how the data has been collected and crunched to see if it's significant. In fact, the article hasn't stated if the statiticians have claimed it to be significant or otherwise.

I think it's been said before in a post that there's a correlation between language ability and time a parent spends with the child. This means that in order to more accurately test if the impact is sweked towards this factor, they should control for age difference between siblings.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

I am the eldest sibling of three and have always done well on tests. I'm quite sure I have a relatively high IQ.
    interested in the future of Industrial Light and Magic
    True.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I don't really want to give away our IQ scores on a public forum, but there is much larger than 3 point difference between my older sisters professionally tested IQ score and mine.

While it's probably true that there is a measurable difference between siblings over the entire population, it would get washed out by a large variation between families.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I am part of a family where everyone has high IQs.
    Not surprising, given that both my parents are really smart.

However, I would say the most intellectually accomplished in my immediate family is my older brother (who is the eldest child) by far (did a lot of science/math research in high school, majored in math at Harvard, is finishing up his Philosophy PHD, was pretty much the model student...).....and I believe he has the highest IQ of us.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

... Honestly, what is the significance of this "Higher IQ/Older sibling" theory?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Demigod View Post
    ... Honestly, what is the significance of this "Higher IQ/Older sibling" theory?
    It would help narrow down causation factors in intelligence.

(And make some first borns feel more special than they really are, of course.)

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Wasnt there even a time where they killed their firstborns ? That would explain a lot
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    This is logical, but isn't it funny that the media often portrays the youngest as the most intelligent?

I would say, though, that the firstborn is more likely to be the fatherly/motherly sibling.
    The youngest are the most rebellious. I can't remember it exactly but I think there was a study done on this.

Basing on information that is currently somewhere in between my ass cheeks I could hypothesize that what's more likely is that the younger aren't more intelligent, but are more prone to try to prove what ever intelligence they have.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Wasnt there even a time where they killed their firstborns ? That would explain a lot
    In China, they did, if the firstborn was a girl and then a boy came along.
    (But that's probably not what you were thinking.)
    Sigh.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Darjur View Post
    The youngest are the most rebellious. I can't remember it exactly but I think there was a study done on this.
    Based on the empiric results from the people I know and their families, I'd confirm that. Someone needs to make the way for the others..