12 Last

The Illusive Man... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Default Aquaponics and Future Aquaculture?

One of my favorite shows growing up, though it did get less serious and kinda became a joke of itself; it nevertheless inspired me growing up along with too much Jules Verne, and Frank Herbert, and an endless fascination with life on and under the water. Aquatic sciences, horticulture, ecology, and hydroponic technology are fascinating and amazing imo. And I want to learn as much as I can. Does anyone else share similar interests? Many people believe that space holds answers and solutions to the future of humanity, but I believe there's much to be learnt from our last undiscovered country here on earth. We shouldnt stop space reasearch by anymeans, etra terrestrial furutre tech is always cool, but I think a lot of this could help that. ^_^

So this is your place for all things related, what was, what is, and what coul be. Share your thoughts, links, knowledge, wisdom, pictures, movies, how to guides, hacks tips, tricks, and imagination ^_^

With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

An Empty, Hollow, Thing...

Wei 18 - Sie 39 agentwashington's Avatar
    MBTI
    mbti
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    SNL None

A good portion of produce where I come from is hydroponically farmed if it was farmed locally, due to a complete lack of hinterlands...

I still say I'm jealous of any country that actually has a farming industry.
    "You’re on Earth. There’s no cure for that."
    — Samuel Beckett, Endgame

“This world is beautiful. People can love each other and live life respecting each other. Someday everyone will come to realize that and this will become a beautiful world full of only such people.”
    — Kino no Tabi
    Likes Gentleman Jack liked this post

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I SUPER want to stay in one of those underwater hotels.

I think aquaponics is pretty awesome, but it is a serious learning curve and the start-up is not cheap.. it's the opposite of farming, where the start-up does not need to be massive at all. It takes me $0 to put kitchen scraps in dirt that I created from chopping up leaves from trees last winter and letting them rot in the sun, and water it with creek water outside. In comparison, it'd cost me hundreds of dollars just to set up a tiny aquaponics system. The start up cost is a major deterrent. But, for a place like Cali and desert-style environments, I don't know why they aren't embracing this sort of thing more quickly for the benefit of reduced water use.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

That first season of Seaquest showed promise. It was on par with the first season of Star Trek TNG but then they made it a monster of the week show in season 2. They also fucked up by recasting almost half the original crew with prettier younger actors. Sorry off topic

Wei 18 - Sie 39 agentwashington's Avatar
    MBTI
    mbti
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    SNL None

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I SUPER want to stay in one of those underwater hotels.

I think aquaponics is pretty awesome, but it is a serious learning curve and the start-up is not cheap.. it's the opposite of farming, where the start-up does not need to be massive at all. It takes me $0 to put kitchen scraps in dirt that I created from chopping up leaves from trees last winter and letting them rot in the sun, and water it with creek water outside. In comparison, it'd cost me hundreds of dollars just to set up a tiny aquaponics system. The start up cost is a major deterrent. But, for a place like Cali and desert-style environments, I don't know why they aren't embracing this sort of thing more quickly for the benefit of reduced water use.
    That's exactly why I wish there's this really cool ... dirt ... that can be used ... by our countrymen... Instead we get shipping lanes and shit that won't last over centuries. (Though, I know the trade routes have lasted over centuries... But things like trade are so dependent on external factors.)

Aquaponics need to be embraced by a governing entity that basically know what it's for, and why they're doing it. I'm guessing for Cali and other such environments, it's because it could be cheaper to just ship stuff from other places within the US (?). And junk food is ridiculously cheap in America, it seems.

We take water security seriously, but our food - nothing can be done about it; only so much you can grow with aquaponics. Still appreciate locally produced food, even if the implications are vastly different from "locally produced" in most cases.
    "You’re on Earth. There’s no cure for that."
    — Samuel Beckett, Endgame

“This world is beautiful. People can love each other and live life respecting each other. Someday everyone will come to realize that and this will become a beautiful world full of only such people.”
    — Kino no Tabi

The Illusive Man... Gentleman Jack's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    837 sx
    Socionics
    SLE Se

Quote Originally Posted by agentwashington View Post
    That's exactly why I wish there's this really cool ... dirt ... that can be used ... by our countrymen... Instead we get shipping lanes and shit that won't last over centuries. (Though, I know the trade routes have lasted over centuries... But things like trade are so dependent on external factors.)

Aquaponics need to be embraced by a governing entity that basically know what it's for, and why they're doing it. I'm guessing for Cali and other such environments, it's because it could be cheaper to just ship stuff from other places within the US (?). And junk food is ridiculously cheap in America, it seems.

We take water security seriously, but our food - nothing can be done about it; only so much you can grow with aquaponics. Still appreciate locally produced food, even if the implications are vastly different from "locally produced" in most cases.
    @kyuuei ; @agentwashington. You both bring up great points, and you'll certainly get no arguments from me, the start up cost is crazy. I am very curious about this dirt you speak of wash, and you seem to be a pretty active gardener Kyuuei, if I read that right... I may start a new thread to discuss this stuff if one doesnt exist, but for now I think this falls in horticulture stuff, so if y'all wouldn't mind. Please elaborate on this dirt wash, and I would love to learn more about your growing methods Kyuuei, they sound perfectly in the spirit of this thread, and I must confess I'm always looking for growing tips ^_^

@ everyone whose participated so far. Thank you, everyone's been smashing so far, I cant wait to see where we go from here ^_^

With all Due Respect,
    -Jack

An Empty, Hollow, Thing...

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    471 sp/sx

Hydroponics and aquaponics are similar yet distinct approaches to agriculture.

Hydroponics is the process of growing plants without soil, usually in a substrate of sand, gravel, or simply water. Nutrients need to be added to the water for this process to work.

Aquaponics is a symbiotic process raising fish and growing plants; it's a closed system. Nutrients do not need to be added in the same manner that is required in hydroponics because nutrients are supplied to the system through the fish waste. This is a much more complicated system yet has a more diverse food yield because edible fish are the typical choice of aquaponics enthusiasts (usually tilapia or bass, but sometimes perch, bluegill, catfish, or even ornamental fish such as koi, some even do shrimp). Aquaponics is more complicated because water quality and temperature need to be monitored and regulated. Smaller aquaponics systems (like those that most hobbyists build at home) are rarely profitable but are still a viable option for feeding families while enjoying the hobby. There are many small and large scale operations around the world. As the farm to table movement has grown in popularity, many restaurants have started sourcing their fish from local aquaponics operations.

Hydroponics - Wikipedia
    Aquaponics - Wikipedia

If you are really interested in aquaponics, it's actually fairly easy to set up a very small scale system inside your own home using a large aquarium as a base for a small garden placed above. There are plenty of resources out there online to help guide you through the process.

I'm particularly interested in hyroponics/aquaponics systems that utilize vertical agriculture to maximize yield while minimizing footprint.
    Likes Gentleman Jack, cosmictone liked this post

Sleeply............. Cat Brainz's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    973 so/sx
    Socionics
    ILE Ne

This is a really cool idea as this has massive promise for the future and will help ease the production of a growing future populations food needs. One Idea i have to help produce certain crops and make them cheaper for people especially in areas with harsh climates is a climate controlled tower which each section having certain conditions designed for a certain plant type. Ive alwasy wondered why fish are not commerically farmed like live stock and I think a good idea likewise would be a climate controled water tank with cold water in one, tropical in another and so and this would reduce overfishing risks.
    http://kevan.org/jh/cat+brainze

http://kevan.org/nohari?name=Cat+Brainze

Tell me is this a grin of joy or is it a grimace of pain?

Taking a cat nap
    9w1 7w6 3w4

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

I've been on the aquaponics ride at Disney World at least 5 times, watched several episodes of sealab 2021, and I've grown tomato plant seedlings in little aqua pod thingies. It worked well, until I tried to transplant them into my garden plot. Then most of them died, but enough of them lived that I had plenty of tomatoes. I think I shall try that again this year.
    Likes Gentleman Jack, Tellenbach liked this post