• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Protecting Mars from Solar Radiation With a Magnetic Shield

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
NASA Proposes Giant Magnetic Shield to Protect Humans on Mars

"James Green, the director of NASA’s Planetary Science Division, revealed that NASA scientists want to use something called an artificial magnetosphere in order to protect the planet from harmful radiation from the sun."

And this isn't considered terraforming?

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Thats a really cool idea and would be good for future endevours in space.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Yes, I think that counts as terraforming, which I believe is considered to be against the rules. On the other hand, I've not got anything against people trying to terraform a planet. Not sure of the long term stability of any that artificial, but thst's a different issue. I still think Venus is a better bet - it can certainly hold an atmosphere without any help. The challange lies in changing the composition of it...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
A good thing is that one mars side always faces the sun, since the planets rotations aligned. So you could have solar energy 24 hours to sustain the massive amount of energy needed.