User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Is that why we are letting the Russians do it?
    In part. This is a real sanity problem - literally asking people to risk their minds. If we were less enlightened, we'd call it torture. People snap under easier conditions. This one is ok though, since they get paid and it's optional!

(No subtext, I mean those words literally.)

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    Okay--maybe not THE big prob, but up on the list. All male teams have more friction than mixed gender problems, but other issues emerge. I'm thinking NASA...
    Yup, there will be an element of this. However it depends on the individuals and what other stress outlets they have. (In Nasa, most notably space missions, there are only minimal stress diffusions and a surreal form of isolation... not to mention the physical stress from environment change!)

Long term confinement--yes. And are you implying there's a problem with the military's influence on relationship?
    Yup, but I'm referring to the creation of bonds through highly stressful team efforts, where everyone depends on each other. The pressure to confrom and not let anyone else down becomes its own stressor and prevents proper stress diffusion (beyond your normal physical and mental limits, which causes serious stress disorders after).

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Dear god, there's no way I would ever do this or anything similar (work on a submarine, etc).
    I know someone who was stationed on a sub. He has very interesting stories.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

If a colorful platoon of space marines is allowed to clear out whatever mutants and/or zombies the inhabitants will have become, I fully support this effort.

Quote Originally Posted by rivercrow View Post
    I know someone who was stationed on a sub. He has very interesting stories.
    I don't doubt that it can be interesting. But it's not for me.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    INTP

I would do it.

I know it wouldn't increase my chances for an actual Mars mission - the people participating in this will have the crappy parts of the experience of a Mars trip and one of the fun stuff about walking on another planet. With an actual Mars mission still in the distant future, this is only an experiment to get information about what it might be like in terms of psychological stresses - anyone participating in this will likely not be career viable when it comes time to actually fly to Mars.

Nevertheless, a program like this does two things - it does potentially give us needed data for when we do make a manned mission, and it also keeps the target in sight. We could expect similar dynamics if we ever set up a permanent base on the Moon. The people participating in this mission are among the pioneers, in a sense. There will still be both physiological and psychological data to get, and the individuals participating in the experiment may not be more likely than their peers to actually get the chance to set foot on another planet, but I'm glad it's happening, and I'd participate in a heartbeat.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by HilbertSpace View Post
    I would do it.
    Very well.

I dub thee "Sir Hilbert," official liaison of MBTIc to the Mars Mission.

(I hope you know either Russian or mime.)

I agree with your reasoning. It's something that has to be done, if we'd ever hope to get to Mars. It's [probably] not going to be pleasant, but there's no other way to really go about it when planning for a future live expedition. And there seems to be so few "real pioneering" explorations left to us, in some ways.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    It's something that has to be done, if we'd ever hope to get to Mars. It's [probably] not going to be pleasant, but there's no other way to really go about it when planning for a future live expedition. And there seems to be so few "real pioneering" explorations left to us, in some ways.
    One hopes that if/when a future live exploration of Mars occurs, the engineers will have sorted out problems like this one by then.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    One hopes that if/when a future live exploration of Mars occurs, the engineers will have sorted out problems like this one by then.
    Acknowledging the humor of that conversion error, the success and longevity of rovers Spirit and Opportunity, as well as the notable performance of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, would be evidence of NASA learning from its mistakes.

MBTI
    ENTP

I would go. It sounds interesting.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    Acknowledging the humor of that conversion error, the success and longevity of rovers Spirit and Opportunity, as well as the notable performance of the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, would be evidence of NASA learning from its mistakes.
    And maybe this kind of thing will prove educational as well.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.