• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Hypothetical and vague solution to global warming/energy crisis

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
We could also just build a big screen to block out the sun for part of the day.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
We could also just build a big screen to block out the sun for part of the day.

How would you keep it in orbit?

One thing that cools the Earth off quite effectively is when the surface's albedo increases. The problem is, with global warming the natural substance that does this is not present often enough so we would have to think of something else that would do the same thing without harming the environment.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
How would you keep it in orbit?

One thing that cools the Earth off quite effectively is when the surface's albedo increases. The problem is, with global warming the natural substance that does this is not present often enough so we would have to think of something else that would do the same thing without harming the environment.

Isn't water (vapour/clouds) the most dominant? There are higher reflectors, but they tend to not be able to break back through the atmosphere/are lower in surface coverage.

Anyway, as temperature increases, more water should be present (natural outcome from increased entropy) in the atmosphere, no? (IANACS!)

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
Solar panels based on nano technology will be the solution to the global warming problem.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Speed, buddy.

Yes, the right speed; but would the correct orbital distance be too far from Earth to keep it in the correct gravity well? Too close and the screen will have to go around to the dark side of the Earth at some point in it's orbit.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Yes, the right speed; but would the correct orbital distance be too far from Earth to keep it in the correct gravity well? Too close and the screen will have to go around to the dark side of the Earth at some point in it's orbit.
Hmmmmm, where to begin...

I don't know where to begin.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Isn't water (vapour/clouds) the most dominant? There are higher reflectors, but they tend to not be able to break back through the atmosphere/are lower in surface coverage.

Anyway, as temperature increases, more water should be present (natural outcome from increased entropy) in the atmosphere, no? (IANACS!)

Have you ever been further inland than the coast during the winter? (not mocking you, I'm actually asking).

When it's over cast at night during the winter the temperature actaully can moderate between -5 and -15 from the prarries to the Laurentians. When it's not overcast, or totally clear the temperature can dip as far as -50. Clouds are a double edged sword in this deal, they reflect radiation both ways.

Note: for our American readers I'm using the Celsius scale and I really don't feel like converting.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Have you ever been further inland than the coast during the winter? (not mocking you, I'm actually asking).

When it's over cast at night during the winter the temperature actaully can moderate between -5 and -15 from the prarries to the Laurentians. When it's not overcast, or totally clear the temperature can dip as far as -50. Clouds are a double edged sword in this deal, they reflect radiation both ways.

Note: for our American readers I'm using the Celsius scale and I really don't feel like converting.

Yup, although this is true anywhere - it tends to be warmer when it is cloudier.

I guess that makes sense. I figured, however, that it wouldn't be as effective because the upper areas tend to reflect 50%+, and so the 50% that hits grounds only feeds back 10-90%, which then only reflects 50% back, down to the limit.

But of course, I also don't know how much increased cloud cover there would be from temperature change.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yup, although this is true anywhere - it tends to be warmer when it is cloudier.

I guess that makes sense. I figured, however, that it wouldn't be as effective because the upper areas tend to reflect 50%+, and so the 50% that hits grounds only feeds back 10-90%, which then only reflects 50% back, down to the limit.

But of course, I also don't know how much increased cloud cover there would be from temperature change.

I'm thinking the way that it would truely show any real progress is if it was always cloudy everywhere during the day, and totally clear at night. This would kind of suck though in many other ways, but if people were really serious about this...

By the way, I think water vapor is on the green house gas list along with CO2 and CH4.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I'm thinking the way that it would truely show any real progress is if it was always cloudy everywhere during the day, and totally clear at night. This would kind of suck though in many other ways, but if people were really serious about this...

By the way, I think water vapor is on the green house gas list along with CO2 and CH4.

It is, so I suppose it wouldn't matter anyway :D

Meh, just pain the roads white. Problem solved. Next!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It is, so I suppose it wouldn't matter anyway :D

Meh, just pain the roads white. Problem solved. Next!

This would actually lower the temperature of a downtown core by a degree or so which actually matters more than some people may think.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Here's an idea. How about some kind of nano material capable of storing an electrostatic charge. The ambient heat causes the nano-material to rise, and somehow the particles get electrostatically charged, the charge is then collected at the top?

The ambient heat would actually cause hot air to rise and carry the particles with it.

I never said it would be a practical idea.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here's an idea. How about some kind of nano material capable of storing an electrostatic charge. The ambient heat causes the nano-material to rise, and somehow the particles get electrostatically charged, the charge is then collected at the top?

The ambient heat would actually cause hot air to rise and carry the particles with it.

I never said it would be a practical idea.

If you're pulling heat out of the air, it would descend at the screen as it cools. Interesting idea though.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Is there a way to block out some of the heat without blocking any of the light?

Put the shade far enough away... It would reduce the overall light, but not generate complete shade in any area.

Typically though the sun shade idea involves objects at L1, which is too close for this to be feasible. The plus side is that you can just throw objects into space, including stuff like ball bearings, and get an effect. Seems like a good spot to donate garbage to.

Well, maybe not. Might want to reserve that space for earth-stations.