User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 40

  1. #21
    Just a statistic rhinosaur's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,470

    Default

    We could also just build a big screen to block out the sun for part of the day.

  2. #22
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    We could also just build a big screen to block out the sun for part of the day.
    How would you keep it in orbit?

    One thing that cools the Earth off quite effectively is when the surface's albedo increases. The problem is, with global warming the natural substance that does this is not present often enough so we would have to think of something else that would do the same thing without harming the environment.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  3. #23
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    How would you keep it in orbit?
    Speed, buddy.

  4. #24
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    How would you keep it in orbit?

    One thing that cools the Earth off quite effectively is when the surface's albedo increases. The problem is, with global warming the natural substance that does this is not present often enough so we would have to think of something else that would do the same thing without harming the environment.
    Isn't water (vapour/clouds) the most dominant? There are higher reflectors, but they tend to not be able to break back through the atmosphere/are lower in surface coverage.

    Anyway, as temperature increases, more water should be present (natural outcome from increased entropy) in the atmosphere, no? (IANACS!)

  5. #25
    Wannabe genius Splittet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Solar panels based on nano technology will be the solution to the global warming problem.
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amad Mozart

  6. #26
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Don't ship too many panels up, since we're headed for an ice age in a bit.

  7. #27
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Speed, buddy.
    Yes, the right speed; but would the correct orbital distance be too far from Earth to keep it in the correct gravity well? Too close and the screen will have to go around to the dark side of the Earth at some point in it's orbit.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  8. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Yes, the right speed; but would the correct orbital distance be too far from Earth to keep it in the correct gravity well? Too close and the screen will have to go around to the dark side of the Earth at some point in it's orbit.
    Hmmmmm, where to begin...

    I don't know where to begin.

  9. #29
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Isn't water (vapour/clouds) the most dominant? There are higher reflectors, but they tend to not be able to break back through the atmosphere/are lower in surface coverage.

    Anyway, as temperature increases, more water should be present (natural outcome from increased entropy) in the atmosphere, no? (IANACS!)
    Have you ever been further inland than the coast during the winter? (not mocking you, I'm actually asking).

    When it's over cast at night during the winter the temperature actaully can moderate between -5 and -15 from the prarries to the Laurentians. When it's not overcast, or totally clear the temperature can dip as far as -50. Clouds are a double edged sword in this deal, they reflect radiation both ways.

    Note: for our American readers I'm using the Celsius scale and I really don't feel like converting.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #30
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Have you ever been further inland than the coast during the winter? (not mocking you, I'm actually asking).

    When it's over cast at night during the winter the temperature actaully can moderate between -5 and -15 from the prarries to the Laurentians. When it's not overcast, or totally clear the temperature can dip as far as -50. Clouds are a double edged sword in this deal, they reflect radiation both ways.

    Note: for our American readers I'm using the Celsius scale and I really don't feel like converting.
    Yup, although this is true anywhere - it tends to be warmer when it is cloudier.

    I guess that makes sense. I figured, however, that it wouldn't be as effective because the upper areas tend to reflect 50%+, and so the 50% that hits grounds only feeds back 10-90%, which then only reflects 50% back, down to the limit.

    But of course, I also don't know how much increased cloud cover there would be from temperature change.

Similar Threads

  1. Fe and global warming
    By entropie in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-07-2009, 05:16 AM
  2. The so-called Mini-Ice age and "Global Warming"
    By heart in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-02-2009, 08:51 PM
  3. Conservative Christians and Global Warming
    By Thalassa in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 09:45 AM
  4. [MBTItm] the solution to life, the universe and everything
    By entropie in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 11:15 PM
  5. Global Warming, Man made or Naturally caused (And other earth questions)
    By Didums in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 11:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO