User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which field of science holds the most potential in the coming century

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Robotics and AI

3 13.04%
  • biotechnology (genetic engineering)

7 30.43%
  • nanotechnology

4 17.39%
  • alternative energy source (like fusion , solar)

2 8.70%
  • neuroscience

0 0%
  • Space Technology and astronomy

0 0%
  • medicine (cure of cancer or immortality)

0 0%
  • quantum computering or more powerful computers

3 13.04%
  • something new thing you can think of but no one cares about

3 13.04%
  • green and antipollution tech (from fear of global warming)

0 0%
  • wtf is this guy talking about

1 4.35%
First 123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Nanotechnology.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Wasn't this a longer thread somewhere, or am I going crazy?

Uhh...I'd vote for a combination of at least two of those at once.

For instance, a research project I'm looking into involves a combination of nanotech with biotech.
    Ditto.

I guess they wanted a poll attached to it this time. I can't recall if the other one had one. Since Nano starts with miniaturizing things, it could miniaturize computers and other items on the list.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INTP

Great point about Nano Tech, I think one of its greatest potentials is to be used in conjunction with other sciences and technologies. In terms of computers I think the future lies not necessarily in improving the current technology but utilizing it in a novel way. I think there is already enough advancements and always will be in computers, so people should invest more time in using them in an effort to advance other fields.

Basically I'm a big proponent of advancing knowledge and expertise in one area, while at the same time keeping an eye out for the interesting ways you can apply them in different situations.
    My cold, snide, intellectual life is just a veneer, behind which lies the plywood of loneliness.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Potential for what?

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I say computers, because of the demand. Everyone wants one. Everyone thinks they need one. Money is a great incentive.
    Surely that's why they're being sold for as low as $100 brand new.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

the biotech is waaaay far ahead primed to strike above all of those.

its getting cheaper by the quarter year to have someones genome mapped. eventually it will be like 100 bucks and everyone will be doing it. With this in hand, we will gain a better and better idea of what problems originate where in the genome. Once we know the genes involved, drugs to fix it become much more a reality. Also, with the genetics info becoming common to each person, Preventative medicine will become an ACTUALITY rather than some feel good health psychology bullshit.

String Theory, there is no debate. Understanding of String Theory leads to understanding all other fields, it could very well be the base theory ontop of which everything else can be explained

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Didums View Post
    String Theory, there is no debate. Understanding of String Theory leads to understanding all other fields, it could very well be the base theory ontop of which everything else can be explained
    is it really a testable theory? will we have to wait for a few designs AFTER the hadron collider?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

It's a bit of a vague test! I wanted to choose so many... >.>..

I definitely chose computers because not only are they NOT going away, but they'll continue to advance out of necessity and otherwise. New technology is always sprouting up for them.

As far as what needs attention, that would definitely be Alternative energy sources. but I also feel the research behind nanotechnology could become beautifully useful in the near future.

Medical research is another that can only get better with time and hard work.. but it's neither going to decrease or become dramatically important throughout the century. It'll continue to progress as it has throughout the ages, one discovery and piece at a time.

Robotics and AI just rock.

Global warming ftl. I like my environment.. but I don't think my lungs are going to rupture from the sun tomorrow. Or in the next 100 years.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTJ

I voted nano technology, because it will push all the other technologies, and is necessary for pushing them. But it's all interconnected... Some of the problems nano technology will solve are poverty and global warming...
    "Neither a lofty degree of intelligence nor imagination nor both together go to the making of genius. Love, love, love, that is the soul of genius." - Wolfgang Amad Mozart