User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Default Why does modern science scares you?

I have seen that many sceintific threads in this section have posts where people express concern about the modern science.
    So I have concluded that we need thread like this one.

Also I know that in modern times more and more people are becoming pleaders of slowing the science down because they are uncomfortable with the result.

So, why does modern science scares you?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

The only part of modern science that I feel might be scary is the lenght of some equations.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    The only part of modern science that I feel might be scary is the lenght of some equations.
    Something tells me that you are not member of the group I am trying to get in touch with.

but I see what you mean.

Sniffles

I pretty much summarised my basic point on this issue here:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/311244-post8.html

Of course such concerns about science are not entirely new. Nietzsche warned mankind about making science into a new god well over 100 years ago. And skepticism about "modern" science is also a major element of postmodern discourse.

It's not science per se that scares me, but scientism.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    It's not science per se that scares me, but scientism.
    Do you think scientism is propogated more by scientists or by those who are not scientists?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I fear excessive capitalism and ignorance more. we are still quite far from a scienetific age because a large percent of the population do not understand how technology is manufactured.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by untypable View Post
    I fear excessive capitalism and ignorance more. we are still quite far from a scienetific age because a large percent of the population do not understand how technology is manufactured.
    And they never will. Most people are not capable of understanding highly technical subjects. That's not to say that they're dumb. They're just good at other things, like cleaning toilets and having lots of children.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And they never will. Most people are not capable of understanding highly technical subjects. That's not to say that they're dumb. They're just good at other things, like cleaning toilets and having lots of children.
    I broke my penzil
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I have seen that many sceintific threads in this section have posts where people express concern about the modern science.
    So I have concluded that we need thread like this one.

Also I know that in modern times more and more people are becoming pleaders of slowing the science down because they are uncomfortable with the result.

So, why does modern science scares you?
    I don't particularly like any large organized community with a lot of influence. This includes the scientific community. They are less worrisome than the other large influencial communities, but they are still subject to human nature. Power corrupts and all that.

One specific problem is that I think people overestimate the abilities of science. If you want to use science to explain phenomena in the natural world, then great. It's awesome for that. If you believe that science can cure all of humanity's ills, then I think you're seriously deluded.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

All religions concern me to some extent.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?