User Tag List

First 123 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    And they never will. Most people are not capable of understanding highly technical subjects. That's not to say that they're dumb. They're just good at other things, like cleaning toilets and having lots of children.
    That doesn't sound very type 3. I thought type 3 always do where the wind blows, in that case finance and capitalism.

Also I know that in modern times more and more people are becoming pleaders of slowing the science down because they are uncomfortable with the result.

Anyway, science is slowing down. There are very few breakthroughs after the
    innovation of computer and the internet, because science is becoming increasingly complex and fewer and fewer people can understand its language.
    many innovations in this decade are quite pointless compared to those in the past, so Moore's law might not be so accurate.

In this age, we should worry more about economic slavery than technological slavery; to worry what the horror of 200 years later is pointless.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Deadpan humor isn't lost on you, not at all.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

It scares me because I don't understand it...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

MBTI
    onto
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

I'm not scared of modern science at all. I'm scared of the layman's opinion on certain new theories and discoveries.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Bufo View Post
    I'm not scared of modern science at all. I'm scared of the layman's opinion on certain new theories and discoveries.
    Yes, well not so much scared. Just annoyed by their ignorance.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

It doesn't. However, I do find it to be hilarious when people freak out about rather dull stuff that simply sounds bad, like those human/animal hybrid embryos they were talking about a while back.

Well, hilarious until the ignorance makes its way to legislation, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Yes, well not so much scared. Just annoyed by their ignorance.
    Ok, I am listening.

Ok, but from more practical point of view

Why is it wrong to mix human and animal DNA?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    512 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Ok, but from more practical point of view

Why is it wrong to mix human and animal DNA?
    My thoughts on mixing human and animal DNA:
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...tml#post324137

About being "afraid" of modern science, I don't trust people, and our history with scientific advances (e.g. the H-bomb, thalidomide poisoning, countless other forms of medicinal poisoning, eugenics). It isn't so much "modern science" per se, more that people irresponsibly use scientific advances for their personal/national profit in a manner that is extremely harmful. Don't get me started on what I think about big pharmas, clinical trials and psuedoscientific reports designed to boost sales (Vitamin C! Antioxidants!!).

Most of the time I don't think about it. My main annoyance is with people who get miseducated by the poorly-educated sensationalist media about scientific concepts (e.g. The LHC will DESTROY THE WORLD ZOMGZOMG LETS KILL OURSELVES!!!) and think that because they read a few newspaper articles they're an expert. Today I saw a headline in the paper that said "End of the world postponed; LHC breaks down twice". Completely stupid.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    So, why does modern science scares you?
    I'm worried we won't be able to develop ourselves fast enough to keep up with what we are developing. That we will create things that are amazing and wonderful, but utterly out of our control because we, in our excitement, lacked any long-term foresight.

I wonder, sometimes, if we are going to ever create a computer that will work better than our own brains. What will that mean? Of what use would a computer more efficient, intelligent, and creative than us be? Is it because we wish to experience the new? Would we then, in the creation of our newfound super-efficient-intelligent-creative computer, find ourselves able to observe a being (because by that point it probably would be a reasonably sentient machine) that is "better" than us? And in observing this being would we then attempt to reassert intellectual superiority over it because we have now found something to apire to?
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost