User Tag List

First 123 Last

Really, is the (extremely distant, near im)possibility of catastrophe the foremost thing in people's minds when it comes to the LHC?

I, personally, am excited, and would rather not have a fringe idea come to dominate a discussion where so many interesting and more plausible things could occur.

I don't pay credence to this. If you know of any scientific reasons to believe that sizable black-holes could be created that would be a different issue.

We're exploring new territory, of course we are not going to know what will happen. That's kind-of the point. Generally (like in all science and engineering projects), they will do things in stages, adding one variable in at a time.

A lot of the early experiments will be making sure they can reproduce what was done in earlier super-colliders without having anything fail. There will be set-backs and things that need to be fixed. That is the way all such projects go.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INFP

I believe black holes are God's way of making sure none of his creations get smart enough to rival him. Put in a tripwire we've got to stumble over when we get sophisticated and curious enough and voila: No more problem.

The many black holes we've discovered were probably all once hi-tech civilizations experimenting with the fabric of the universe.

But seriously: No. A mini-black hole can't eat earth. It'd grow a bit before it'd reached it's potential, sucking in a few particles and stuff, but unless physics has gotten it all wrong, that's it. People have been watching too many cartoons. That said: If something like this did happen, so what? Instant non-excistence, no time to worry, none to mourn our passing. There can be worse endings.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

OMG will people swallow anything that these "boffins" produce?

So much assumptive nonsense.

Looking at how the universe formed = I want to play with my new toy so here's my "reason".

Realistically to be completely correct the term "scientist" should be replaced with "extrapolator". It's more exact.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

*snore...BZZZZZZ!...yawn* Physics, wha? *yawn* OK I hope the unscientific reactionaries have fun with their lawsuit.

MBTI
    INFP

Google's logo of the day:
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    ENTP

I'm no expert, but I think there's no enough mass on Earth for creating a black hole.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I'm a churchie and into science. I also know that they're not putting enough energy in to make a black hole big enough that will last more than a millisecond. That's not enough mass to grab more sustaining material unless you actually feed it. That said, if we can create black holes with it we could be close to being capable of producing power packs that run off of Hawking Radiation. If only we could make sure it has a spin in which an electromagnetic field can suspend it. What if that could be used to power a star drive...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We're all alive!

How disappointing.

*rolls back over* *snores*
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Which means I should go check out what results the got... eh... no they'd still be analyzing it...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    We're all alive!
    In THIS timeline, SURE!