• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Observing the Night Sky

Kas

Fabula rasa
I think it will be nice to have a place to remind about astronomical events for everybody who likes to watch the night sky.

Or is there already similar thread?

Kas

Fabula rasa
27/28 September there will be total lunar eclipse. It will begin in North and South America after sunset , in the Europe and Africa it will be after midnight about 1-3 am.
Also the moon will be closest of the year, so it should be spectacular

I will be definitely watching :)

Kas

Fabula rasa
If you want to check what time tonight there will be eclipse in your country/city -> you can do that here LINK

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I just want to say how cool I think this thread is! I don't have anything to contribute really, but I wanted to throw it out there. I think space is so fascinating, and I've always been interested in the physics and theories behind it all too. Unfortunately, it's on there along with hundreds of other interests of mine, but when I find the next opening in my life, I'd love to sit down and teach myself some of the basic principles of astrophysics and theories out there.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Leonids 2015

The peak of the Leonid meteor shower will be observed on November 17
It's estimated that one will be able to observe about 20 meteors an hour then.

As the name suggest it's best to observe the part of sky close to the Leo contelation.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I went through my stargazing phase 25 years ago.

The internutz say that the star name Fomalhaut is pronounced "foam'-al-hout." This is incorrect. It is pronounced "Foam'-ah-low."

Fomalhaut is a lonely little star seen most prominently shining all by itself in the southeast sky in the early evening autumn-winter sky. I was very pleased when recently there was more information discovered by astronomers about this little star. It is surrounded by a huge ring of asteroids.

ALMA_observes_a_ring_around_the_bright_star_Fomalhaut.jpg

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Have you used any equipment? I'm thinking about buying just better binoculars, I'm very amateur.

If you buy a telescope, makes sure it's a good, not cheap, brand. Anything less will be a complete waste of money. A $200 telescope won't be good enough.

I didn't use binoculars very often for stargazing. I'll admit there was a certain novelty in being able to spot Io with binoculars because it's impossible to see with the naked eyes. Beyond that, a speck of light is a speck of light whether seen with naked eyes or through binoculars. The only other astronomical purpose I could see was either moongazing, especially during a lunar eclipse, and being able to spot Venus during the day time. But then, once I learned I really could find Venus during the day it quickly got old.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
I love love love watching the night sky. I live fairly north and sometimes we get the Northern Lights and I have to say...they are SPECTACULAR and they sound so strange, like thunder that echoes on and on. I wish we got them more often. I plan to do some stargazing in the desert soon here, so great timing for this :)

Kas

Fabula rasa
I love love love watching the night sky. I live fairly north and sometimes we get the Northern Lights and I have to say...they are SPECTACULAR and they sound so strange, like thunder that echoes on and on. I wish we got them more often. I plan to do some stargazing in the desert soon here, so great timing for this :)

I envy. Nothern Lights were only once in the place I live and I somehow managed to miss it... I'm still mad at myself :dry:

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I recommend getting a program called Stellarium. You can put in your actual coordinates and get a star map so you can find where things are in the sky at your location.

It can also predict where things will be ahead of time so that you know where to look, e.g. it can show you what things will look like tomorrow, or 12 hours from now, or days from now. Then you can note the coordinates and go look at the same thing in real life.

Betty Blue

Let me count the ways
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I recommend getting a program called Stellarium. You can put in your actual coordinates and get a star map so you can find where things are in the sky at your location.

It can also predict where things will be ahead of time so that you know where to look, e.g. it can show you what things will look like tomorrow, or 12 hours from now, or days from now. Then you can note the coordinates and go look at the same thing in real life.

I heard about this when I went to visit the planetarium in Greenwich, been meaning to download it ever since. I also love really good/vivid photo's/painting's of space scapes... and can gaze at those for times... But yes the night sky definitely captures me. I watched the most amazing show of shooting stars about 20-25 years ago in Spain lying on the rooftop of our holiday home in a small village on top of an Adulucian mountain. Awe struck. I have seen some great night skies during camping trips too. I'd love to go to Iceland and see the northern lights... it's one of my goals.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It may be necessary to rely on a crutch at first, such as star-gazing software, a smart phone app, or one of those star wheels. It's much nicer, and more impressive (if you're interested in impressing people), to simply know what these things are in the sky without looking at your smart phone for the answer. The best "smart phone" is your brain.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
J-track 3d satellite tracking is fun too. You can use it to predict which satellites are scheduled to fly over your location, and if the sky is clear, you can see it fly over while knowing exactly which satellite it is.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Mars at opposition.

On 22th of May Earth will be between Sun and Mars. Happens once for a little bit more than 2 years.

marsorbit3.gif

Mars is going to be close so it will be bright too (omre than -2mag), brighter than brightest star Sirius. The planet will be placed in constellation of Scorpius. It’s suppose to make nice triangle composition with Saturn and one of Scorpius stars- Antares.

Interesting fact Antares means “rival of Ares”- rival of Mars ;probably because of similar colors.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Annular Sun Eclipse in Central Africa

1 September 2016- Yes, soon!

It will begin at 06:13 UTC, the maximum point will take place at 09:01 UTC. Annular in Central Africa, in other parts partial. Annularity will be visible for about 3 minutes.

Good luck and no clouds for anyone who will be able to see it :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Cool thread! Subscribe.

We just had a pretty decent view of the Perseids here, but I'm no longer able to stay up late enough (or get up early enough) to see the best of it. We did see a few in the 10-11pm zone.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Closest Full Moon to Earth Since 1948

The Full Moon + The Supermoon. That's what happening tonight. Maybe you can just look out of the window ;)

Next time it will be so close in 2034.