• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone switching to Linux?

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Windows 10 is designed to violate your privacy in every way possible. They log all your keystrokes, keep track of everything you do, look at your files, copy all your files to their servers, give all this data to the government, and report you to law enforcement agencies.

Seeing that Microsoft is hell bent on spying on you to the maximum extent possible with the new, all-encompassing spying features that they've put into Windows 10 and added to Windows 7 & 8, are you going to switch to Linux? I've already installed linux on one computer and I'm in the process of installing it on this one, except I'm having technical difficulties which I'm working on solving. I'm hell bent on using Linux on all my computers. I'm boycotting everything from Microsoft forever. I purposely bought a PS4 instead of Xbox One because of Microsoft's anti-consumer and spying policies. They wanted to spy on all Xbox One users with their mandatory camera. Now they made their camera optional, after horrible sales, but I'm still never going to buy Xbox One or any other M$ product ever again. I used to be a big Halo fan, so I won't be able to play Halo 5. I'll just watch a playthrough of it on Youtube. It'll probably suck anyway.

Microsoft wants to treat my computer as if it belongs to them. Umm... they did not pay for my computer. If my computer belongs to them, then they should pay for me to have a brand new computer. I'm not Microsoft's bitch, especially since they don't pay me to be their bitch. They are batshit insane.

As for gaming, I used to be a PC gamer, but now I'm content to game on my PS4. I might never go back to PC gaming.
Linux has all the software I need to do everything else. Linux works better than Windows and it's far more secure than windows.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've been using Linux primarily for about a decade, and as a hobby before that. For work I use OSX, the command line Mac skillz are somewhat interchangeable with Linux. Windows machines weird me out.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My W10 update has been waiting on me for a couple of weeks but I haven't had time to look into the issues yet.

I've thought about switching one of my netbooks back over but I need to find viable alternatives for the specialized programs I use before doing so.

I can't help but wonder how much of the privacy concerns that are surfacing are things that have already been happening only MS is being more transparent about them now...

That could be worded better.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I made the switch 8 years ago already. I use linux, specifically Ubuntu, on two desktops and my netbook, which I take whenever I am travelling. My SO is the lone Win holdout in the house. He chickened out on his last system and wouldn't let me build him a linux box.

Not only is privacy less emperiled on linux, but everything is free/open source, and the help available in forums and online tutorials far exceeds what most SW companies provide nowadays. I found I was having to figure things out on my own anyway, might as well use the OS designed for that. I run a website, write music scores, edit sound files, and do scientific calculation/plotting, and have found everything I need open-source and free.

I've even seen tantalizing descriptions of a linux-based smartphone. Might be what it takes for me finally to get one.

You have my wholehearted encouragement ditching all things MS (and i-). Good luck!

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would be a mistake to think Linux is more secure, just because it is Linux. How many Linux end-users actually checks out the code to see if it is secure?

I'm not saying you shouldn't jump ship to Linux, but you have to accept and at least understand why you change from one OS to another. Because, what if your distribution doesn't do what you like, then Linux is the enemy? What if your distribution included patches for the kernel to optimize or allow for functionality, but the trade off is security? Do you check up on that? What is going to be the next ship, BSD? Until someone finds a security problem in there? BSD is from the ground designed to be secure. But it has it's faults, because it is made by humans. Like any other OS.

Take for instance, Adobe Flash, it's vulnerable across all OSes, is it really today's Windows that is so insecure? Or take OpenSSL's "recent" exposed bug, dating back a long time where passwords could be seen in clear text.

You only need one vulnerability to be vulnerable to attacks and ignorance. Security is an illusion, it only buys you time, that's my personal opinion.

Linux will always suffer from lagging behind with drivers, it will always suffer from getting the latest optimizations in the opensource compilers for specific cpu/gpu sets. The only thing I like about Linux is it's freedom and room to manoeuvre. Where as with Windows I feel stuck, oh you don't have the "Pro" version, your dhcp can only handle 10 users or some nonsense like that. Then one has to go run around finding an opensource alternative app for windows. Linux is just alternative applications all around, from the ground up.

I run Windows 10 at home, and the reason why I keep it, is because, when other users need to use my laptop and I don't want to sit there and explain to them how to use Linux, or how different LibreOffice is from MS Office. Or sorry, that font doesn't work etc etc etc... I run Gentoo in Virtualbox to get what I need to work.

If you are switching from Windows 10 because you are hiding stuff on your computer.... Maybe you need to look at why you want to hide stuff on your computer, because switching an OS for that reason, is not going to save you.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It would be a mistake to think Linux is more secure, just because it is Linux. How many Linux end-users actually checks out the code to see if it is secure?

I'm not saying you shouldn't jump ship to Linux, but you have to accept and at least understand why you change from one OS to another. Because, what if your distribution doesn't do what you like, then Linux is the enemy? What if your distribution included patches for the kernel to optimize or allow for functionality, but the trade off is security? Do you check up on that? What is going to be the next ship, BSD? Until someone finds a security problem in there? BSD is from the ground designed to be secure. But it has it's faults, because it is made by humans. Like any other OS.

Take for instance, Adobe Flash, it's vulnerable across all OSes, is it really today's Windows that is so insecure? Or take OpenSSL's "recent" exposed bug, dating back a long time where passwords could be seen in clear text.

You only need one vulnerability to be vulnerable to attacks and ignorance. Security is an illusion, it only buys you time, that's my personal opinion.

Linux will always suffer from lagging behind with drivers, it will always suffer from getting the latest optimizations in the opensource compilers for specific cpu/gpu sets. The only thing I like about Linux is it's freedom and room to manoeuvre. Where as with Windows I feel stuck, oh you don't have the "Pro" version, your dhcp can only handle 10 users or some nonsense like that. Then one has to go run around finding an opensource alternative app for windows. Linux is just alternative applications all around, from the ground up.

I run Windows 10 at home, and the reason why I keep it, is because, when other users need to use my laptop and I don't want to sit there and explain to them how to use Linux, or how different LibreOffice is from MS Office. Or sorry, that font doesn't work etc etc etc... I run Gentoo in Virtualbox to get what I need to work.

If you are switching from Windows 10 because you are hiding stuff on your computer.... Maybe you need to look at why you want to hide stuff on your computer, because switching an OS for that reason, is not going to save you.
So the only people concerned about privacy are people with something to hide? That argument failed long ago. When it comes down to it, everyone has something they want to keep to themselves. They don't have to justify their right to do so. People trying to override that right need to justify what they want, and rarely can.

I don't maintain my personal computer equipment for the convenience of guests or even best friends. If they want to share, they can deal with Ubuntu (actually, really user-friendly), Open Office, etc. If I have to use their laptop, I don't expect them to put linux on it just to satisfy me - though I might tease them a bit.

As for how many linux end-users actually check out the code? I would venture far more than check out Windows code simply because they can, because it is open source. That's the whole point of open-source and one of its strengths, that you have hundreds, perhaps thousands of users troubleshooting and commenting and pooling their knowledge and experiences. For anyone who insists on remaining in the Windows world, at least follow Steve Gibson. He has been on the leading edge of exposing MS vulnerabilities and distributing free fixes and workarounds for as long as there has been Windows, and for DOS before that.

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I've even seen tantalizing descriptions of a linux-based smartphone. Might be what it takes for me finally to get one.

I use my phone for a lot, so convenient. I rarely even use my laptop or tablet anymore.

Coriolis

Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I use my phone for a lot, so convenient. I rarely even use my laptop or tablet anymore.
I take a netbook with me whenever I am away from home for any length of time. There are too many things I sometimes need to do that would be awkward if not impossible on a smartphone, like make website updates.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I switched over a couple times to ubuntu, have always switched back. I still prefer windows. I prefer IE over firefox/chrome as it is less buggy for me suprisingly as well.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh man, Windows 10. I'm not typically an early adopter of any technology or software at all. I want other people to find/fix bugs/problems before I dive in. I used to have the patience to do so myself, but I just don't anymore.

I do use Linux on my server, though, and I use my server a lot. All terminal, baby. That's the way to roll.

This thread has actually inspired me to give switching some thought. On desktop, I've used it on-again, off-again; mostly the Debian flavors. In pondering the whole thing right now, I think my major holdup is that coworkers and all expect you to use MS Office. I realize that there are free alternatives out there, of course, but I don't want to mess up the formatting in some other colleague's document in any way. That is, I don't know whether the alternatives are actually one-to-one.

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unfortunately Microsoft is really your only choice if you enjoy playing video games. More games are being released on Linux, but the selection is by far inferior. I dual boot and have Debian on a separate partition which I use quite often. I use Linux more because it of flexibility than security. Microsoft treat you like a child, they don't want you to make any changes to the default settings and give you as little control as possible.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm content with Windows at the moment. I used to use Linux, but as a 9-5er office drone, I just don't have the time for that kind of thing.

TSDesigner

MBTI Type
INTJ
Unfortunately Microsoft is really your only choice if you enjoy playing video games. More games are being released on Linux, but the selection is by far inferior. I dual boot and have Debian on a separate partition which I use quite often. I use Linux more because it of flexibility than security. Microsoft treat you like a child, they don't want you to make any changes to the default settings and give you as little control as possible.

I only use consoles for gaming now, but not xbox because I'm boycotting microsoft

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I only run Linux on my personal laptop. A couple of weeks ago upgraded it to an SSD and switched over to Archlinux from Ubuntu, that was a pain in the ass (but way less than Gentoo). But I really like the fact that the only things residing on my system are things that I actually use, and it makes me feel leet.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I wanted to put it on my Surface, but apparently the drivers for Linux are all sorts of messed up. Oh, well; a man can dream..
I only run Linux on my personal laptop. A couple of weeks ago upgraded it to an SSD and switched over to Archlinux from Ubuntu, that was a pain in the ass (but way less than Gentoo). But I really like the fact that the only things residing on my system are things that I actually use, and it makes me feel leet.
Gentoo makes me want to cry. You're a braver man than I am for having worked with it at all.

I'd love to see someone here get Slackware up and running in a usable state. :popc1:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wanted to put it on my Surface, but apparently the drivers for Linux are all sorts of messed up. Oh, well; a man can dream..Gentoo makes me want to cry. You're a braver man than I am for having worked with it at all.

I'd love to see someone here get Slackware up and running in a usable state. :popc1:

I kind of have a grudge against Windows, but the new Surface is getting really great reviews and Win10 isn't supposed to be horrible. I find this genuinely surprising, is it time for a Microsoft Rennaisance?

I've installed modern Slackware onto a 486 laptop using floppies (then network) just as an act of masochism. My first Linux install was Yggdrasil back in the late 90's, I'm used to the pain and miss it when it's gone.

Proctor

MBTI Type
INTJ
I kind of have a grudge against Windows, but the new Surface is getting really great reviews and Win10 isn't supposed to be horrible. I find this genuinely surprising, is it time for a Microsoft Rennaisance?

I've installed modern Slackware onto a 486 laptop using floppies (then network) just as an act of masochism. My first Linux install was Yggdrasil back in the late 90's, I'm used to the pain and miss it when it's gone.

Wow, that's impressive. I found Arch difficult enough to set up, I would never go near Gentoo or Slackware. Hell just getting Arch to work made me feel kinda bad ass. Now my accomplishment feels petty and pathetic.

Windows 10 has gotten a fairly good reception, but there are a lot of security issues. It's gotten to the point where Microsoft doesn't even try to pretend it cares about the user.

Duffy

If you're not sure, you can just... you know, dual boot. I did that with linux mint a while back.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I've never gotten much utility out of a laptop. I'd buy one and either let it sit there and collect dust, return it, or sell it off. But I've had my Surface Pro 2 for two whole years and I carry it around in my satchel almost all the time. It's dumb as hell as a tablet (I get even less utility out of those) but it makes a good laptop.

Wow, that's impressive. I found Arch difficult enough to set up, I would never go near Gentoo or Slackware. Hell just getting Arch to work made me feel kinda bad ass. Now my accomplishment feels petty and pathetic.
Most of my experience of Linux on the desktop was mucking around with Debian and then immediately dropping it for Ubuntu when it came along, then flirting with that and dumping it for Windows out of convenience. But on servers I've used it forever.
Windows 10 has gotten a fairly good reception, but there are a lot of security issues. It's gotten to the point where Microsoft doesn't even try to pretend it cares about the user.
I liken Windows 10 to Winamp 5. For those of you who aren't in the know (everybody), the Winamp music player version 2 was insanely popular. Then they went and mucked things up in version 3. But then they released version 5 (2+3) which was a pretty good stab at giving the best of both worlds.

Windows 10 can be used pretty much exactly like Windows 7, but also with windowed Metro apps if you've ever downloaded one of those in your life, ever. And there's some Tablet mode that just seems to replace the taskbar with one like you'd see on a tablet, or something.

The privacy nonsense is pretty terrible, yeah. I have no idea how the hell the private sector, corporations, etc. would adopt it. There are guides out there to disable pretty much everything that would send valuable information, but they may not be completely comprehensive since 10 is still kind of new.
If you're not sure, you can just... you know, dual boot. I did that with linux mint a while back.
This is a great idea. There are even ways to allow your Linux boot and your Windows boot be able to access all of your files. Something about an NTFS Linux driver. :shrug: