User Tag List

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Default Powered Exoskeleton for the Paralyzed

LiveLeak.com - Israeli Exoskeleton Suit Enables Paralayzed People To Walk.

I've long thought some kind of high-rise wheelchair would help those without the use of their legs function better in society. This inventor took it in a different direction. I can't say I'm not impressed.

And one for the able-bodied, with potential for helping the disabled as well: LiveLeak.com - Robot Worn On Your Body Can Increase Your Strenght

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

For its excesses, Boy Bands and professional wrestlers, Western civilization hasn't done too badly.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm always interested to see humanitarian innovations. We really got involved when my father (an OT) and my sister set out to create a sled-like device that attached to wheelchairs enabling them to get out on the ice with their families when they're skating.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

I wonder if we get skates along with the exoskeliton, if we can travel "biking distances." Or if we put a cover on our regular bikes, and bodify the gear ratios, if using the exoskeleton could get nomal bikes to motorcycle speeds.

Would you spend $30K ($20K for exoskeleton + $10K bicycle upgrades) for a veheicle requiring no fuel (but would have to plug in)? (You can get an eltric motorcycle for under $10K so probably not)

But, more on the theme of exoskeletons:
    A Wearable Motorcycle | Popular Science

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I wonder if we get skates along with the exoskeliton, if we can travel "biking distances."
    That's a good idea, but you'd need a portable nuclear reactor to supply power for more than a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    That's a good idea, but you'd need a portable nuclear reactor to supply power for more than a few minutes.
    That fits right in with the "corrupt a wish" thread. Well done. Now that thread can move on.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENFP

the only issue i can see with the exoskeliton is if the unit were to suddenly lose its power or a malfunction, cause i'm pretty sure that if that were to happen they would have to deal with a dead test subject depending on how badly he was paralized

Banned
    MBTI
    type

What's wrong with draggin' yourself around with your arms for a while?

MBTI
    XNXP

It would be funny to see one going out of control, walking through the "giant cake" float in a parade, or flailing away into a hotly contested corporate stock holders' meeting about a merger, where votes were being carefully tallied up....
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    What's wrong with draggin' yourself around with your arms for a while?
    Laziness. Har har