• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Researchers Have Found That Plants Know They Are Being Eaten

Olm the Water King

across the universe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Plants Know They Are Being Eaten - Business Insider

Researchers Have Found That Plants Know They Are Being Eaten

Colin Payne, Inhabitat
Oct. 23, 2014, 6:17 PM

Vegetarians and vegans pay heed: New research shows plants know when they're being eaten. And they don't like it.

That plants possess an intelligence is not new knowledge, but according to Modern Farmer, a new study from the University of Missouri shows plants can sense when they are being eaten and send out defense mechanisms to try to stop it from happening.

:(

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm sorry, broccoli!

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So the meat-eaters are unaffected (as we are already predators), and the vegetarians will have to turn or die (unless they can learn to eat dirt and be happy).

Carnivores - 1
Vegetarians - 0

Chrysanthe

Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
yeahhh you don't see articles of hamburgers initiating defense mechanisms when you bite into them!!! TAKE THAT VEGENTARIANS!!!!!

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
So at what point do they know they are being eaten. Very curious about this, can they recognize when I have the intention to eat them- or is it only when they half way down my esophagus when there is nothing that they can do about it. I might need to keep lids on my containers from now on, and jam that fork in extra hard.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
This is nothing new.

As for vegans/vegetarians (as opposed to those who are plant-based), the ethics are to determine the least amount of suffering, not absense of suffering, which is an impossibility. People who eat animals are eating animals who eat plants, though that is not always the case w/r/t factory farms where cows and pigs are often fed byproduct of animal remains along with whatever denatured soy/grain mixture is on the menu. Such as it goes before their horrible existence is violently blotted out.

I think everything is alive, and anything alive doesn't want that to cease.

If you want to be thoroughly creeped out, read Roald Dahl's short story, "The Sound Machine"...

Ghost

Megustalations
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If you want to be thoroughly creeped out, read Roald Dahl's short story, "The Sound Machine"...

Oh, yes. The idea behind that story stuck with me for a long time.

á´…eparted

passages
Am I supposed to care...? :huh:.

First of all, we don't have a good definition of what consciousness would be (if at all) for plants. This sounds to me like sensationalization to make people feel good, bad, and guilty. I.E. A pile of bullshit.

Of course plants have responses to being harmed. All organisms have to respond somehow to it happening or they won't survive. This is why many plants have evolved to be toxic.

Ultimately, you need to ask yourself if it is worth feeling guilty over your own biology. I feel that it is a waste of time and emotional energy to do so.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
There is so much misinformation these days that I am not overly convinced.
Plus I am not going to destroy myself through starvation even this is indeed the truth, so it really does not matter.

chubber

failed poetry slam career
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
haha, I was waiting for this day, all those feelers who use it as an excuse not to hurt anybody. hahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Messed up..all those veggie tarantulas prefacing jovah when in truth their vampires in denile like the rezzt of us.

- - - Updated - - -

Though I have heard the sunlight diet is all the rave.

New study shows the sun knows when its rays are absorbed and it doesn't like it.