User Tag List

12 Last

Default A love letter to the Internet of old

Hundreds of Geocities Images Organized Neatly

Cameron’s World
    In an age where we interact primarily with branded and marketed web content, Cameron’s World is a tribute to the lost days of unrefined self-expression on the Internet. This project recalls the visual aesthetics from an era when it was expected that personal spaces would always be under construction.
    the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism
    Likes Qlip, Video, Cellmold, Totenkindly, SD45T-2 and 3 others liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I scrolled right to the end

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

When I come across websites that still have this vibe, I save them into my collection.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ⯮ ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    ⯮ Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] ⯬ Bang Bang [nohari]

“I think a lot of internet has become a mall in terms of our off-the-shelf conformity,” he said. “These days it feels like the most room we have to define ourselves online is our choice of profile and cover pictures on social networks like Facebook or LinkedIn. They’re controlled environments that iron out many of the wilder intricacies of personal taste that used to define self-expression on personal home pages.”
    Reminds me of something I tangentially posted about a while ago:

Quote Originally Posted by 93JC View Post
    Sometimes, choices can paralyze us with anxiety and exhaust us. But sometimes, choices reduce anxiety by making us feel like we've searched exhaustively -- and now we're ready to buy.
    Bringing it back to social media, I wonder if that's one reason why Facebook quickly eclipsed Myspace. Myspace was comparatively open and allowed users to customize their pages with gifs and music and backgrounds and all sorts of other virtual baubles, whereas Facebook is a relatively closed space by comparison. What Facebook did wasn't so much a novelty as it was taking the Myspace model and "dumbing it down", making stylistic choices on behalf of the 'consumer'. And yet they still offered enough choices that the user never lost the ability to sell themselves. They dialed back the number of decisions left up to the users just enough that people flocked to it and left Myspace to wither on the vine. I wonder if Facebook's delicate balance between decision fatigue and single-option aversion was deliberate or coincidence.
    Funny how more and more of us are becoming adept at creating websites but the prevalent style has become more and more simple and in a way "sanitized".
    Likes chickpea, Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I feel that I can define stages of my life through the popular personal websites/social media with me. I came of age along with the Internet. And I'm so glad instagram didn't come out til I was a (somewhat) adult.

MBTI
    PORG
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    I feel that I can define stages of my life through the popular personal websites/social media with me. I came of age along with the Internet. And I'm so glad instagram didn't come out til I was a (somewhat) adult.
    Same here.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    https://web.archive.org/web/19991105...hampdance.html
    Likes chickpea, Video liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I love this stuff. Maybe it's pure nostalgia, but I'm always drawn to the rough beginnings of things. To be reminded of the internet before it learned to internet.
    â–µ
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Video, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Those are the kind of websites I would make, if I had any interest in web design. Except I would use Comic Sans everywhere.

Does anyone else here remember trying to connect to the Internet using Juno? Those were the days. I remember it showed how many minutes you'd been online, and I'd be like, "Crap, Mom's going to know I was on the computer all day playing Acrophobia!"
    Likes SD45T-2, Video liked this post

A sound forever seared into the memories of many of us: