User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 75

  1. #1
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default How tall would 16 buildings need to be to house the world's population? (split)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I mean, you can't readily put 7,000,000,000 people in 16 boxes
    It's 7.3 billion, and yeah we can. With good engineering we can.
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Bush Did 9/11, gromit, Forever liked this post

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    It's 7.3 billion, and yeah we can. With good engineering we can.
    You'd need 4,600km boxes with the same structure engineering of the Taipei world financial center (Because you wanted something boxy). That would even give the average person some leg room with one sq meter each.

    That's not that big. Might be expensive though.
    Likes Bush Did 9/11 liked this post

  3. #3
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    You'd need 4,600km boxes with the same structure engineering of the Taipei world financial center (Because you wanted something boxy). That would even give the average person some leg room with one sq meter each.

    That's not that big. Might be expensive though.
    You haven't taken height into consideration. It could be tower like structures, if the box is 'closed' then you can probably use the ceiling for support but not sure about that

    manhattan for example has a population density of 66,940 people per square mile
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    You haven't taken height into consideration. It could be tower like structures, if the box is 'closed' then you can probably use the ceiling for support but not sure about that

    manhattan for example has a population density of 66,940 people per square mile
    The height is 508m. Same engineering as the Taipei 101.

    I suppose you might be able to create denser floors with less head space, but that's get iffy - if you have people wider then average it gets compensated by having other people taking less space then average, if you put the floors just high enough for the average person there's a lot of legs then are going to have to be cut off. You could alternatively put every person in a box of their own and just place those on top of one another, but then you'll need more support columns for the individual stacks which take more of the space inside. On the other hand.. You could probably be to build the giant boxes in space so that you don't need the support to fight off gravity, just to hold the thing together. That increases the cost by a lot though, at least without an existing industry up there, which another NTP is working on (Musk) but it's still a wait.

    Alternatively, since they will likely die in there anyway, you could just have a furnace in the entrance calculate the total mass of the ash. If they need to be alive you'd need life support, and if they'd need to actually have lives, well.. with space to move and shit and fuck, with agriculture and industries to maintain them, then... You kind of end up back with earth's landmass.

  5. #5
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    The height is 508m. Same engineering as the Taipei 101.

    I suppose you might be able to create denser floors with less head space, but that's get iffy - if you have people wider then average it gets compensated by having other people taking less space then average, if you put the floors just high enough for the average person there's a lot of legs then are going to have to be cut off. You could alternatively put every person in a box of their own and just place those on top of one another, but then you'll need more support columns for the individual stacks which take more of the space inside. On the other hand.. You could probably be to build the giant boxes in space so that you don't need the support to fight off gravity, just to hold the thing together. That increases the cost by a lot though, at least without an existing industry up there, which another NTP is working on (Musk) but it's still a wait.

    Alternatively, since they will likely die in there anyway, you could just have a furnace in the entrance calculate the total mass of the ash. If they need to be alive you'd need life support, and if they'd need to actually have lives, well.. with space to move and shit and fuck, with agriculture and industries to maintain them, then... You kind of end up back with earth's landmass.


    Are you sure??
    The way I calculate it, I'm not using some towers as then you have to recalculate and speculate but just using an existing large city with roads, shops and all that stuff
    so manhattan is according to wikipedia 57km2 for 1,8 million people (approximating) so you end up with for 1/16 of 7,000,000,000 people, needing 253,972km2 which is 'only' twice the size of the state of New York. Compared with the about 152 millions km2 of land on earth (of course mountains etc)

    And that state of new york is not particularly huge compared to other US states
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Are you sure??
    The way I calculate it, I'm not using some towers as then you have to recalculate and speculate but just using an existing large city with roads, shops and all that stuff
    so manhattan is according to wikipedia 57km2 for 1,8 million people (approximating) so you end up with for 1/16 of 7,000,000,000 people, needing 253,972km2 which is 'only' twice the size of the state of New York. Compared with the about 152 millions km2 of land on earth (of course mountains etc)

    And that state of new york is not particularly huge compared to other US states

    Depends what you count in it, New York isn't exactly self sufficient. I found this, which has an interesting take on the question:

    What If All 7.1 Billion People Moved To Tunisia? - Wait But Why
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Totenkindly liked this post

  7. #7
    Theta Male Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None
    Posts
    9,037

    Default

    Why would all those people move to Tatooine?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11


    This is not going to go the way you think....

    Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Mane liked this post

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Why would all those people move to Tatooine?
    For the landscaping:
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

  9. #9
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,265

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    Depends what you count in it, New York isn't exactly self sufficient. I found this, which has an interesting take on the question:

    What If All 7.1 Billion People Moved To Tunisia? - Wait But Why
    Well yeah but the question only regarded putting them there, so we could store them like meat or something or on the other side of the spectrum have a self sufficient 'box'
    Now when it comes to feeding them the 'issue' is of course that if your goal is to save space you're faced with the issue that the frame of reference we're using is a square function (or close enough) rather than volumetric. By which I mean that everything starts with PLANTS, and plants need sunlight. so if you pile 100 fields of potatoes up you end up with 99 deadfields and 1 working out.
    But then again there's lots of other options, vertical farming, clever use of mirrors, mushrooms and of course if you have a decent source of energy you can pretty much create the light that feeds the damn plants in the first place. Then there's genetic engineering to increase yield and stuff. But we already do that to a degree
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Mane liked this post

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    834

    Default

    So... Considering the friendship between Hard & EJCC (And showbread?) and her general call to action attitude and his general dislike of shenanigans, is anyone else kind of surprised they haven't split the thread yet, or even simply moved the non-Hard stuff to the off topic? Did it not get noticed yet? Are they too busy? Are they taking the time to think things through (J/k), or has it really not gotten reported yet?

Similar Threads

  1. How to improve the world
    By Opal in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
  2. How to make the world a better place, your suggestions
    By Zangetshumody in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-07-2015, 09:00 PM
  3. North Korea Threatens to Destroy the World, Decides to Build Ski Resort Instead
    By JAVO in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-24-2013, 07:45 AM
  4. The SP need to control the environment
    By decrescendo in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
  5. [ENTJ] ENTJs: How easy is it for you to give the cold shoulder?
    By MoneyTick in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 09-05-2010, 02:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO