• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

reconciling Biblical and Scientific History

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
EDIT: IGNORE THE THREAD TITLE

Well, not really reconciling the two.

Just a chart for people who like charts.

No offense is meant nor is this an attempt to start a heated creationism vs evolution debate. I realize this is probably inevitable though.

Thoughts?

This one amused me because it based the correlation between the two timelines on the geological record, therefore placing the end of the Cretaceous near the Stock Market Crash of 1929

Again, not trying to incite a flame war, I just happened to find this when I was researching the last dinosaurs to survive

Last edited:

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not all people who believe in creation think that the Earth has only been here for six thousand years. Many believe that the creative "days" aren't literal 24 hour days, but symbolic of long periods of time. At least, that's how they've explained it to me.

But yeah, those "Young Earth" Creationists... I just don't know how anyone can ignore so much evidence that the earth, and the universe, has been around for much, much longer.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not all people who believe in creation think that the Earth has only been here for six thousand years. Many believe that the creative "days" aren't literal 24 hour days, but symbolic of long periods of time. At least, that's how they've explained it to me.

I used to make that and similar arguments to creationists. If I say more, I'm likely to contradict my first post and create problems. I've already made some enemies (frenemies?) of certain people on the forum.

But yeah, those "Young Earth" Creationists... I just don't know how anyone can ignore so much evidence that the earth, and the universe, has been around for much, much longer.

That would make for a far more interesting chart...matching each "day" up to a specific timespan/era. Obviously this chart was more intended to show how ridiculous YE Creationism can appear when any religious scripture is interpreted with strict literalism

BadOctopus

Suave y Fuerte
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I used to make that and similar arguments to creationists. If I say more, I'm likely to contradict my first post and create problems. I've already made some enemies (frenemies?) of certain people on the forum.
It was probably the "fatties" comment. ;)

That would make for a far more interesting chart...matching each "day" up to a specific timespan/era. Obviously this chart was more intended to show how ridiculous YE Creationism can appear when any religious scripture is interpreted with strict literalism
Literalism as far as the Bible is concerned is just a bad idea all around. It's full of symbolism. Even non-religious people know that.

What gets me is that if the universe is only six thousand years old, how can we see stars and galaxies that are millions of light-years away?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Catholics are generally more open to evolution (and thus "ages," since natural selection works over time), as far as denominations go.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution

In the more conservative Protestant denoms, there seems to be less flexibility. The YECs seem to congregate in the US southeast and midwest. I'm not sure if there's as concerted a branch of literal 6-day creation elsewhere outside the US, it would be interesting to hear about.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What gets me is that if the universe is only six thousand years old, how can we see stars and galaxies that are millions of light-years away?

*cough*

Well, of course, God created everything right as it appears to us now, including the light waves on their journey to earth.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In the more conservative Protestant denoms, there seems to be less flexibility. The YECs seem to congregate in the US southeast and midwest. I'm not sure if there's as concerted a branch of literal 6-day creation elsewhere outside the US, it would be interesting to hear about.

That's an interesting point. I think Australia might have some. [MENTION=20828]Wixiw[/MENTION], is this a thing in Australia?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

But it's pointless to explain that point to someone who isn't willing to listen. Willful ignorance.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
*cough*

Well, of course, God created everything right as it appears to us now, including the light waves on their journey to earth.

That's what I'm saying. You couldn't use the stars argument, because those folks will twist the logic (or ignore it completely) and create their own rules.

Thanks for more humorously illustrating that point.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That's what I'm saying. You couldn't use the stars argument, because those folks will twist the logic (or ignore it completely) and create their own rules.

Thanks for more humorously illustrating that point.

Well, you have to understand the logic. If the Bible is literally true, then everything around you must be read in a way to support it. So it's not "twisting," it's putting the observable facts in context of the Truth.

... i think I still have my copy of Henry Morris' "The Genesis Record" around here somewhere....

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Catholics are generally more open to evolution (and thus "ages," since natural selection works over time), as far as denominations go.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_Church_and_evolution

I briefly went to a fundamentalist church. they used to shittalk catholics, jews, and members of any denomination who were unwilling to interpret scripture as anything other than the final, unalterable, factual words of God itself.

If I were a believer, I would see no good reason to disregard all science, just because my pastor told me so. Faith or no faith....what matters is that people think critically about all claims, whether religious or scientific--there is bullshit and misinformation (as well as truth) to be found in either. I think one could easily be at peace with a higher power whilst being open to hypothesizing and questioning the universe around them--if God is real, I would hope he or she would encourage such critical thinking and weep for the closedminded.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, you have to understand the logic. If the Bible is literally true, then everything around you must be read in a way to support it. So it's not "twisting," it's putting the observable facts in context of the Truth.

... i think I still have my copy of Henry Morris' "The Genesis Record" around here somewhere....

In many cases it seems like they simply ignore observable facts when they contradict their truth.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Haha, I cannot imagine you would think that you could post this without creating heated conversation. Interesting chart, anyway.

“When you translate the Bible with excessive literalism, you demythologize it. The possibility of a convincing reference to the individual's own spiritual experience is lost."
-Joseph Campbell

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I got a bad look last time I compared the bible stories to aesops fables :doh:

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If I started a religion, I would consider willful ignorance to be a sin, and I would sanctify doubt.

Doubt, did someone say doubt. I love doubt. Doubt rules all three of my tritype.

Doubt is basis for real belief, understanding, and knowledge. Questioning is so important.

SD45T-2

Senior Jr.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w2
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The universe is expanding, right? So wouldn't that mean the stuff didn't used to be quite so far away? :thinking:

Then again, we're not actually seeing that stuff where it is now because it's taken so long for the light to get here. :shrug: