User Tag List

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Default Why do so many videos have blurry sides and clear focus in the middle?

This is an example. I'm seeing this all the time: WATCH: Animal Control, Residents Hurry to Save Brutus - Trending Now - AccuWeather VideoWall

The middle of the video is a narrow rectangle which has clear focus. The right and left sides are blurry, and they show parts of what's already showing in the middle. It must be coming from a particular kind of smartphone or something, but I don't have one so I don't know what it's all about.

It almost reminds me of a camera I used to have which had a 'panoramic' option, but it had a cheap way of making it happen - it just simply closed a little barrier over the top and bottom of the image, making it narrower, but not actually increasing the width. Regular pictures were all just extremely zoomed-out all the time if you weren't using the 'panorama.'

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

It's modified because the video was shot in a vertical position rather than horizontal. The blurry bars on the edges are just post-processing of the same video playing in the center, split in two to fill either side of the frame to fulfil the required aspect ratio of the broadcast.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    It's modified because the video was shot in a vertical position rather than horizontal. The blurry bars on the edges are just post-processing of the same video playing in the center, split in two to fill either side of the frame to fulfil the required aspect ratio of the broadcast.

It's simply an alternative to "pillarboxing" (a.k.a. "reverse-letterboxing"), where the image would be presented with black bars up the sides of the display.
    Likes PeaceBaby liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Oh! Well, thanks, I'm glad I asked.
    Likes PeaceBaby liked this post