• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Have You Ever Known Someone with Cryptophasia?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If anybody replies to this - which I doubt because this forum is dead - I don't want to hear from you how I'm not describing cryptophasia. It's enough like cryptophasia.

Cryptophasia: "A phenomenon of a language developed by twins (identical or fraternal) that only the two children could understand." - Wikipedia.

I was eating lunch with an older lady and her adult son. We were talking and stuff, and then suddenly I found myself far more interested in eating than listening to the conversation. But then I realized - I could not understand a word they were saying to each other. The mother and son were talking in low tones, and it was definitely in English. But I could only understand a word here and there. I remember hearing her say, "I would have been floating down the river..." So it was English, but not a form recognizable by non-family members. Perhaps it was a lingo shared only between her and her son. I think it was cryptophasia. But I've figured out that it was a really fast-spoken, mumbly form of English that could only be understand and spoken with practice.

Another case of cryptophasia was described to me by a Mexican guy I knew. He said these two people, who were friends with each other, spoke a version of Spanish-Vietnamese that only those two could communicate with. And they spoke it with such rapidness that it was impossible to follow. Imagine how radio Spanish is spoken and then double that speed.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Another case of cryptophasia was described to me by a Mexican guy I knew. He said these two people, who were friends with each other, spoke a version of Spanish-Vietnamese that only those two could communicate with. And they spoke it with such rapidness that it was impossible to follow. Imagine how radio Spanish is spoken and then double that speed.
I would like to hear that:)

I think it’s probably not cryptophasia in book form, but the term may be accurate. The origin would be similar, spending so much time together that it’s natural to find new ways of communication. Interesting phenomenon.

The only example I know from my life is rather plain. I know the twins who used to talk normally with others (although they were less talkative than kids their age), but when they spent time alone they used to talk in this unusual way, no real words. It sounded to me like the gurgling of the babies who can’t speak yet. I don’t know whether it were sentences for them or was it communication without words. They grew out of this when went to elementary school.

The literature example that comes to my mind is the language that is used in “Hopscotch” of Julio Cortazar. The characters develop their own language that they use to speak about love. While it may lead to some associations, it absolutely doesn’t sound like anything.

I know you wanted life examples, sorry that's all I got.

Edit: Is it dead?

Mademoiselle

noʎ ɟo ǝʇnɔ ʍoH
MBTI Type
-NTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Me and my brother even had invented many words and few simple grammer rules
We used our own words along with some english and some words derivated from arabci by another language's grammer.

My childhood was so golden
Even now we sometimes use it

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Well, not twins and not a full language. But my non-verbal autistic cousin is able to communicate in a pretty elaborate array of gestures/sounds, especially to her younger brother. Even her parents don't catch it all, but between the two of them communication is pretty solid. Not really the same thing though, could potentially be one sided.

strangeduck

I heard adult twins speak their own language last December while we were all in CCU waiting for family members to pass. They did it off and on & un self consciously. It sounded like a combination of languages.

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
I some times worry that I talk this way and don't know it. I tend to get responses that are so far out of context that they're nowhere even close to what I was saying, even though to me it is perfectly clear. So either I'm talking gibberish, or they're really obtuse.

It really makes me worry that when I think I'm saying "Thank you, that was nice." something else comes out and I don't even know it, like "Your mother is a pig." I worry that I'm pissing everyone off but am too delusional to realize what I'm really doing.