User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who are you and what do you use?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a programmer (inc amateur) and I use Linux/ BSD

2 7.69%
  • I'm a programmer (inc amateur) and I use Windows

3 11.54%
  • I'm just a plain ole user and I use Linux/ BSD

2 7.69%
  • I'm just a plain ole user and I use Windows

10 38.46%
  • I'm brave and I use Vista!! (joking...)

5 19.23%
  • I'm looking forward to Windows 7

0 0%
  • I refuse to answer as I'm too lazy to read this but wanted to click an option anyhow.

1 3.85%
  • All of the above.

1 3.85%
  • Other (please explain.. it'll only bother me otherwise)

2 7.69%
First 234

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    True... tried to install flash player like a million times.... used the terminal...followed the instructions... nadda.
    What Linux Distro were you using? (OS). Although it's not officially supported, and has recieved some criticism, Automatix/Ultamatix can make installing all the codecs/plugins you need much easier.

That's the most useful trick I ever picked up for Vista... they totally frown on how it undermines their security scheme but I am always of the opinion that security on my PC should be at my own damn option.
    Yup, I agree, considering my track record of zero malicious software, ever, I'm not too concerned about it.

Personally I consider Vista to be enthusiasts software. You have to have the patience and some considerable knowledge to make it comfy as an OS... either that or not knowing the difference...
    Yeah, I ripped everything out of it I don't want, and made an unattended boot disk. If I want to install it, I just pop it in, select the partition, and come back in 45 minutes to it fully loaded. Next task is to intergrate some applications into the install.

Well I accept that you have the right to your opinion about XP64.. you are entitled to have a different opinion to the facts and I shall restrain myself from becoming all high and mighty and correcting you...
    I haven't used it since it was first released. From the way you're sounding, I think I'll go give it a try again.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    What Linux Distro were you using? (OS). Although it's not officially supported, and has recieved some criticism, Automatix/Ultamatix can make installing all the codecs/plugins you need much easier.
    I believe that particular install was Xandros. All instances of Linux are currently removed however. I'm thinking that next time I'll try the virtual machine route and quit stuffing up windows.
    Yup, I agree, considering my track record of zero malicious software, ever, I'm not too concerned about it.
    Me neither.

Mind you I don't by Norton.

Yeah, I ripped everything out of it I don't want, and made an unattended boot disk. If I want to install it, I just pop it in, select the partition, and come back in 45 minutes to it fully loaded. Next task is to intergrate some applications into the install.
    I do believe I may have found someone who reinstalls more often than I do....

I'll have to write this down so people quit teasing me!!

Btw, how come you install so many times to make such things worthwhile?
    I haven't used it since it was first released. From the way you're sounding, I think I'll go give it a try again.
    I prefer it to 32bit. Somehow it seems cleaner. Oh and I think it's up to SP2 now.... it runs the same schedule as Server 2003... 64bit explorer still doesn't seem to run windows update though
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    ^^ Oddly Spirillis the more people move away from Microsoft and the more Microsoft start to listen, the more I like them...

I think I'll be one of the old bastion in the end. Still using windows when everyone else has gone over to linux.
    The competition, at least, has been SORELY needed for over a decade. The free/open source software paradigm was exactly what we needed to rustle Microsoft's feathers, as Microsoft itself has proven itself time and time again that it can steamroll any capitalism-inspired threat. I believe I read that Bill Gates was a likely ENTJ; his company's cutthroat precise business strategy would certainly corroborate that.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTP

Btw, how come you install so many times to make such things worthwhile?
    There are currently 13 computers hooked up in this house, 6 of which run 24/7. So, take however many reinstalls you do, and multiply it by at least 6. (Especially since some of the other members of this household DO manage to get a lot of malicious software.)

In addition, I'm constantly messing around with things on my machines, and inevtiably, at some point, something breaks. (That doesn't happen very often anymore, when I first got into computers 8 years ago it did.) Plus, I don't keep any data on the partition the OS is on, so it isn't a big deal.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    The competition, at least, has been SORELY needed for over a decade. The free/open source software paradigm was exactly what we needed to rustle Microsoft's feathers, as Microsoft itself has proven itself time and time again that it can steamroll any capitalism-inspired threat. I believe I read that Bill Gates was a likely ENTJ; his company's cutthroat precise business strategy would certainly corroborate that.
    Oh hell no... your not getting away with besmirching that type with THAT brush!!! Bill Gates is untypable except as an ass.

(See.. now no one get's hurt)

Still reading through the Windows 7 blog makes me think this competition may yet bring out the best in MS, whatever that turns out to be.
    There are currently 13 computers hooked up in this house, 6 of which run 24/7. So, take however many reinstalls you do, and multiply it by at least 6. (Especially since some of the other members of this household DO manage to get a lot of malicious software.)

In addition, I'm constantly messing around with things on my machines, and inevtiably, at some point, something breaks. (That doesn't happen very often anymore, when I first got into computers 8 years ago it did.) Plus, I don't keep any data on the partition the OS is on, so it isn't a big deal.
    Well I only keep reinstalling cause I tinker.. too many optimisation programs and small tweaks..

Oh and I'm only on 10 years since my first PC. I still break them as often (if not more) it's just I know more about fixing them now
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?