User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who are you and what do you use?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm a programmer (inc amateur) and I use Linux/ BSD

    2 7.69%
  • I'm a programmer (inc amateur) and I use Windows

    3 11.54%
  • I'm just a plain ole user and I use Linux/ BSD

    2 7.69%
  • I'm just a plain ole user and I use Windows

    10 38.46%
  • I'm brave and I use Vista!! (joking...)

    5 19.23%
  • I'm looking forward to Windows 7

    0 0%
  • I refuse to answer as I'm too lazy to read this but wanted to click an option anyhow.

    1 3.85%
  • All of the above.

    1 3.85%
  • Other (please explain.. it'll only bother me otherwise)

    2 7.69%
First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 35

  1. #11
    Senior Membrane spirilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Is there a secret? Is there a shortcut or is the twelve year route a necessity?

    It's 12 years of practice (and seeing Linux through all kinds of driver/obscure hardware/library issues/app developers at work doing crazy shit/watching Linux crash & burn under heavy load) , yeah.

    A couple hints though:
    1. Working knowledge of the C programming language (Standard C, not C++ or C# or Java or anything higher-level like that; Standard C where you have to deal with pointers and no object-orientation). This gives you access to the "language" that all the intimate details of Linux's core speaks. Oh, it also helps to have knowledge of the BSD Sockets interface, which all network-aware apps use to initiate/manage any communication involving networks.
    2. Good knowledge of shell scripting
    3. Master of the shell prompt, in general.

    I don't think it's possible for a good Linux technician to troubleshoot a system without busting out a shell prompt.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

  2. #12
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    I have a mac. I guess that means I'm a total loser as that was not even on the list.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Windows XP power user. I know how to write basic HTML, Vista is an abortion, Windows 7 will be as crappy as Vista and Linux is an attempt to reinvent the wheel by autistic marxists (real men use Unix),

  4. #14
    Senior Membrane spirilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni
    Posts
    2,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Linux is an attempt to reinvent the wheel by autistic marxists (real men use Unix),
    that's the best thing I've read all day.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

  5. #15
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    I use Linux on some of my computers, and Windows on others.

    I like configuring Linux and figuring out all the different things you have to do to make it work, for some reason. I'm not a programmer, but I do know how to edit configuration files, have a knowledge of how Linux is organized, how to apply patches, and even fix syntax errors or change pathnames in .h and .cpp files. I'm not sure, but I think I'm about as good with computers on the software side as you can get without actually programming them or specializing in any one thing. I can even use things like "grep," to some extent.

    I'm not quite a real geek, but I'm almost there.

  6. #16
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I have a mac. I guess that means I'm a total loser as that was not even on the list.
    You are evil it's true but you can post yourself under the Linux lot for this purpose. It's all the same really

    (waits for distant explosion.....)
    Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Windows XP power user. I know how to write basic HTML, Vista is an abortion, Windows 7 will be as crappy as Vista and Linux is an attempt to reinvent the wheel by autistic marxists (real men use Unix),
    Vista is actually a good idea or two... it's just propogated with lots of terrible ideas and really bad final install management!

    If you took the core mechanics of Vista without any of the "hey we can do this" I think it'd make a first step to a really good OS. The problem is the whole closed source. M$ finds you "customising" too much, you know like making it work well and stuff, and they'll sue. Can't have people prooving it can be done or worse still having a look at the direct X stuff so linux can have that too!!! :eek:

    I do agree though, Linux has that Russian kind of cold war atmosphere to it... ie the technology is good but the interface sucks!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #17
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    It's 12 years of practice (and seeing Linux through all kinds of driver/obscure hardware/library issues/app developers at work doing crazy shit/watching Linux crash & burn under heavy load) , yeah.

    A couple hints though:
    1. Working knowledge of the C programming language (Standard C, not C++ or C# or Java or anything higher-level like that; Standard C where you have to deal with pointers and no object-orientation). This gives you access to the "language" that all the intimate details of Linux's core speaks. Oh, it also helps to have knowledge of the BSD Sockets interface, which all network-aware apps use to initiate/manage any communication involving networks.
    2. Good knowledge of shell scripting
    3. Master of the shell prompt, in general.

    I don't think it's possible for a good Linux technician to troubleshoot a system without busting out a shell prompt.
    That's the problem then. I'm on lowly Visual Basic and such. I expect words that mean something... totally weird like that

    The scripting thing is what throws me everytime. Is it just me or are they just avoiding the word programming incase it scares people off?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  8. #18
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I use Linux on some of my computers, and Windows on others.

    I like configuring Linux and figuring out all the different things you have to do to make it work, for some reason. I'm not a programmer, but I do know how to edit configuration files, have a knowledge of how Linux is organized, how to apply patches, and even fix syntax errors or change pathnames in .h and .cpp files. I'm not sure, but I think I'm about as good with computers on the software side as you can get without actually programming them or specializing in any one thing.
    And the beard?

    How's that coming along?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  9. #19
    Protocol Droid Athenian200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    8,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    And the beard?

    How's that coming along?
    If it's any consolation, I'm not as into Linux now that I know how most of it works and have done most of the things I wanted to know I could do in it... and now mostly use Windows again, simply for the applications available. I just happen to use it still.

  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Vista is actually a good idea or two... it's just propogated with lots of terrible ideas and really bad final install management!

    If you took the core mechanics of Vista without any of the "hey we can do this" I think it'd make a first step to a really good OS. The problem is the whole closed source. M$ finds you "customising" too much, you know like making it work well and stuff, and they'll sue. Can't have people prooving it can be done or worse still having a look at the direct X stuff so linux can have that too!!! :eek:
    Vista seems to be perfectly fine under the hood I just hate what MS has done to the interface. I don't like having it rendered by the GPU, Windows Classic in Vista looks like ass, the menu bar belongs above the tool bar and the tool bar is now static and unchangeable. The Control Panel is completely disorganized and requires more clicks to do things than in XP. Aero looks like foggy plastic rather than glass and Segoe UI is illegible to my eyes, Tahoma or MS Sans Serif is ideal. The new icons are very pretty though.

    I do agree though, Linux has that Russian kind of cold war atmosphere to it... ie the technology is good but the interface sucks!
    I kind of like the way KDE, Gnome, X11 and the other window managers look, my beef is more with the silly Open Source ideology and it's irrational hatred of commercial software. The best open source application available is Firefox and its code base is derived from Netscape which was commercially developed. I pirate Windows, MS Office and Photoshop so I could give a shit if my programs are "free as in speech."

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] INFJ Compatibility - Why the INFJ/ENTP dynamic is hands down the best.
    By Samvega in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 869
    Last Post: 10-24-2016, 12:11 AM
  2. [MBTItm] NFs What personality type(s) calm you down the most and why?
    By ReadingRainbows in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 75
    Last Post: 09-13-2013, 10:42 PM
  3. How do I get ENFJ's to turn down the Fe?
    By The Great One in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-06-2012, 02:55 PM
  4. Long - the quotes of lovable larrikin, Nobel physicist Richard Feynman
    By InsatiableCuriosity in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-02-2010, 11:18 PM
  5. Down the hatch...
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO