• Evolution

20 95.24%
123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Default Evolution vs. Creationism

My friend and I were talking about religion the other day and she brought up that she doesn't believe in evolution. I asked her why she didn't since there was so much evidence to support it and she told me that she wasn't alone in her beliefs and that in fact creationism is the more popular opinion, and that in order to be a christian you had to reject evolution. I argued that you could believe in both, God created evolution, and that things are not so black and white. Anyways, I'd like to create a poll and see if in fact she was right, or if I am right in what the majority of the population truly believes. For the purpose of the survey, im going to limit it to the two answers below, but feel free to respond and explain in the comments.

Oh and sorry if this would be better suited in the religion section
    So if you had to choose, creationism or evolution?

MBTI
    BORK
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

She essentially deflected the question.
    She is right in saying to be Christian that you have to reject evolution, since they believe Adam & Eve were the first man in woman, thus skipping the traditional idea of evolution.
    As far as popular opinion goes, I believe the majority of people still believe that God created everything, but the scale is tipping more and more towards evolution.

I'm not very knowledgeable on the theory of evolution, but I would go with evolution. I don't believe in God.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Faith in God doesn't have to be peer-reviewed. It doesn't rest on human knowledge, and never claimed to.

So yes, I'm a creationist via faith. But as far as the debate goes, neither of the theories make very strong cases in my opinion.

In reality, macro-evolution is more logical than empirical. It's built on a series of conjectures based on obscure data; they are very rational conjectures, but conjectures they remain.

The creationist case is not much different, only that the data cited is twice as obscure.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Whenever I think about the creationist v evolution "debate", I always think of a quote by Aaron Sorkin:

"Most of us have been raised to believe that there are two sides to every story, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle. And that's simply not always the case. Sometimes there are five sides to a story, but sometimes there's just one. Sometimes the truth doesn't lie in the middle, it lies squarely on one side or the other."
    It makes me weep for my country every time we have to entertain such obviously retrograde bullshit as creationism, especially in academic settings. In 2012, the US ranked 20th out of 34 OCED countries for K-12 science education, and 28th out of 65 countries overall. And yet, somehow, fundie dipshits are still able to push their sky cake agendas into curriculums. There is no fucking controversy. No more than there's "controversy" over whether our solar system is geocentric, or if the Earth might be flat. I don't have an issue with religion: I think it serves a perfectly valid societal function. But it needs to learn how to stay in its fucking lane.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Hard, ygolo liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Yeah I have no problem with my friend having faith, its just that shes the type of person to get totally invested in an idea of something without fully doing the research on what it means. Once she does find something she dislikes about a topic, she will secretly be crushed because the topic will turn out to be less amazing than she originally thought it to be. Shes been religious for about 2 days, and I think that she is trying to connect to some sort of higher power, (great for her), but shes just getting in over her head.

Anyways, not the point of this thread.

Personally, I'm more of an agnostic. I wasnt raised with much religion, but I think it is stupid to completely reject the possibility of a higher power.

This probably should be in the religion thread sorry

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I feel no sympathy when I say this: I think people that believe in creationism and deny evolution are fucking morons.

Evolution is a scientificly fully working theory, and proven fact on the molecular level. Period. There is no debate on this, and I do not engage or entertain debate with people who don't accept it. Because it isn't even a debate in the first place.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes Wind Up Rex, Luke O, Passacaglia liked this post

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, if people discuss the scientific underpinnings of evolution versus it just becoming another "YES THERE IS A GOD I BELIEVE" versus "NUH-UH I DON'T" thread, then it easily fits in the Science subforum.

And you don't have to 'debate' it, Hard, simply in order to explain what the scientific underpinnings would be.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, if people discuss the scientific underpinnings of evolution versus it just becoming another "YES THERE IS A GOD I BELIEVE" versus "NUH-UH I DON'T" thread, then it easily fits in the Science subforum.

And you don't have to 'debate' it, Hard, simply in order to explain what the scientific underpinnings would be.
    You've become so jaded in your old age, my dear
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    You've become so jaded in your old age, my dear
    I've evolved.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft
    Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

I am happy to explain the scientific function of it, if the person seems like they might be receptive, but it stops there. The second they say "god" I say " nope, try again, no scientific basis there". Thats what I mean by not entertaining a debate.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari