• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Evolution vs. Creationism

Creationism vs Evolution

• Creationism

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Evolution

Votes: 20 95.2%

• Total voters

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My friend and I were talking about religion the other day and she brought up that she doesn't believe in evolution. I asked her why she didn't since there was so much evidence to support it and she told me that she wasn't alone in her beliefs and that in fact creationism is the more popular opinion, and that in order to be a christian you had to reject evolution.
Scientific explanations like evolution are not to be believed. They are to be accepted on the basis of evidence, until disproven by more convincing evidence. Scientific inquiry is not a popularity contest. We don't identify causes for natural phenomena by majority vote.

Basically evolutionists and creationists need to fund physicists to build a time machine to prove once and for all who is right, and to make the losers stfu.
But then the willfully ignorant would simply claim that God just made us think we had gone back in time and found the proof we sought, sort of like the end of Carl Sagan's novel Contact, or those people who claim the moon landings were faked.

Luke O

Super Ape
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Scientific explanations like evolution are not to be believed. They are to be accepted on the basis of evidence, until disproven by more convincing evidence. Scientific inquiry is not a popularity contest. We don't identify causes for natural phenomena by majority vote.

But then the willfully ignorant would simply claim that God just made us think we had gone back in time and found the proof we sought, sort of like the end of Carl Sagan's novel Contact, or those people who claim the moon landings were faked.

I could take them to the future, so the future people can laugh at them.

Andy

Supreme High Commander
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
At the time I'm writing this we have 100% votes for evolution. Given the nature of this forum, I'm not entirely surprised to see that. I'm not sure if this forum is representative of the worlds population as a whole.

I think creationism is popular in africa and the nearest - most hard line muslims seem to subscribe to it. I don't know about Russia, eastern Europe or India. i suspect China would come down on the side of evolution and whatever China does tends to be close to the close to the global average because they are so damn big they virtually are the global average.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
I feel no sympathy when I say this: I think people that believe in creationism and deny evolution are fucking morons.

Evolution is a scientificly fully working theory, and proven fact on the molecular level. Period. There is no debate on this, and I do not engage or entertain debate with people who don't accept it. Because it isn't even a debate in the first place.

Wow I can't believe how [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] it is to disagree with you. I can only agree.
What fucking idiots seriously believe in creationism? It makes no sense whatsoever.
Actually, that would mean that we evolve after every generation, so if someone could live forever, he wouldn't evolve.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Yeah the poll is definately leaning towards evolution, but some of the posts state that the users believe in creationism. It just makes me wonder, are those who believe in evolution more able to completely reject creationism better than those who believe in creationism being able to completely reject evolution? Does that have something to do with the emphasis society places on science today?

á´…eparted

passages
Wow I can't believe how [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] it is to disagree with you. I can only agree.
What fucking idiots seriously believe in creationism? It makes no sense whatsoever.
Actually, that would mean that we evolve after every generation, so if someone could live forever, he wouldn't evolve.

Actually, I can quite well understand why people believe in creationism. When I spoke (which I should have been more clear) I was specifically referring to individuals who believe in creationism and additionally reject evolution. If someone wants to believe it, fine. I don't agree with it at all, but it can be non-impactful. The problem is when evolution is rejected.

Additionally, tagging me for the purposes of generating a pun while quoting me sends two notifications (which you did twice), and the sentiment is not appreciated. I see it as a form of harassment. Don't do it again.

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Actually, I can quite well understand why people believe in creationism. When I spoke (which I should have been more clear) I was specifically referring to individuals who believe in creationism and additionally reject evolution. If someone wants to believe it, fine. I don't agree with it at all, but it can be non-impactful. The problem is when evolution is rejected.

Additionally, tagging me for the purposes of generating a pun while quoting me sends two notifications (which you did twice), and the sentiment is not appreciated. I see it as a form of harassment. Don't do it again.

Let me make two things clear.

1. I'm chaotic. I take orders from nobody.
But I'm not stupid. Chances are, if I do it another time, you're gonna report me, and I'll get another infraction. I don't want that.
Despite this, I listen to logical reasoning, which is the only way to get me to do anything at all.

2. I love witty humor, and if you can't take a joke, deal with it.
I see how you didn't like 2 same messages in your inbox, but seriously? That offended you?
Literally all you have to do is click it away. Problem solved.

Also, isn't it funny how creating a forum lead to creating this thread, which lead to us arguing here?
There's a possibility Creationism and Evolution (which is proven) are both real.

Nicodemus

What a cute thread.

Next time your friend brings up the question, you just give her a light nudge and, with a smile on your lips, say: Don't be silly...

RandomINTP

Injustice Needs To stoP
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah the poll is definately leaning towards evolution, but some of the posts state that the users believe in creationism. It just makes me wonder, are those who believe in evolution more able to completely reject creationism better than those who believe in creationism being able to completely reject evolution? Does that have something to do with the emphasis society places on science today?

Well logically, whoever believes "God" created all animals and humans, would reject Evolution because it contradicts the bible, and thus their religion, which is priority in belief.
However: A lot of people believe a "God" created the universe, and the Earth developed after time, leading to new species developing and thus evolving.

That's why I believe it's more likely for Evolutionists to accept Creationism and for Creationists to reject Evolution. Thoughts?

á´…eparted

passages
Let me make two things clear.

1. I'm chaotic. I take orders from nobody.
But I'm not stupid. Chances are, if I do it another time, you're gonna report me, and I'll get another infraction. I don't want that.
Despite this, I listen to logical reasoning, which is the only way to get me to do anything at all.

2. I love witty humor, and if you can't take a joke, deal with it.
I see how you didn't like 2 same messages in your inbox, but seriously? That offended you?
Literally all you have to do is click it away. Problem solved.

Also, isn't it funny how creating a forum lead to creating this thread, which lead to us arguing here?
There's a possibility Creationism and Evolution (which is proven) are both real.

Under the confines of the forum, you are going to have to comply with the rules and what mods dictate whether or not you like it. Too bad.

I was not offended, but the principle of the matter is not ok with me, you need to learn how to properly deal with others. It's pretty clear your intent was to get a rise, and while it was ineffective, I am not going to allow you to keep attempting to do so in that manner.

ygolo

My termites win
Technically, don't scientific theories have to be falsifiable? Or is that just with Psych?

That said, there is extremely compelling evidence for evolution and denying it is pretty foolish. Therefore, I would like a "both" option. Many Christians believe that evolution did in fact take place but was initiated by a creator/higher being.

At this point, we have found practically incontrovertible evidence for the locus of what is inherited, how variation is introduced and how that variation can be culled through the process of natural selection (and artificial selection). Darwin too had ample evidence supporting his position, even at his time.

I frankly don't know why it is offensive to religious people in general. However, I can certainly see how people can get worked up over it if they interpret the creation myths (in practically any religion) as literal things.

Theistic evolution is still possible. But the role of a creator, as far as I can see, is still outside the realm of falsifiable hypotheses. Most people I've met invoke God as explanation for the unexplained. Frankly, this is the "God of the Gaps" and believing in this God also runs against the scientific spirit, and more broadly, the human spirit, to ask about and find out about things.

A God of explanations is too impotent a God for my tastes, and I do believe in God.

Edit: "Intelligent design" is marginally more interesting than exploring a particular creation myth in its literal interpretation. But the more interesting the Intelligent Design process proposed, the more it resembles the process we call evolution. It would be interesting if we could somehow have a serious debate about theistic vs. atheistic evolution based on people who can actually tease out the differences in prediction based on a real understanding of probability, statistics, and information.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MOD NOTE:

Please discuss the topic, not personal gripes with each other.

Carry on.

hjgbujhghg

I am
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I believe, that things are not black and white at all... I am personally not religious, but I believe the theory of evolution might be more or less the way how it was made, rather than why it was made...

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Do you think that believing evolution over creationism(vice-versa) has anything to do with type? How you were brought up? Personal convictions? Any correlations?

ygolo

My termites win
I think a belief is a personal conviction, and that it is the result mostly of how you were brought up. But also a person's history after they reach adulthood is important.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, I suppose I could be wrong. My statement was purely based on a very basic knowledge of Christianity. I know more detailed accounts, but none relating to this topic. The ones I know believe in creation by design, and that is how I was taught growing up.
So my question is how is it wrong?

Only a minority of Christians believe that the creation story in Genesis is literal truth, largely evangelists and fundamentalists. Catholics and most Protestants believe that much of the Bible is parable or metaphor. Only the fringe believes that Adam & Eve were actual people that God plunked down on the Earth. Even the Pope believes in evolution.

You can say that Christians believe that God was the designer of the mechanism of evolution; that's largely true. But that's not the same thing as believing in creationism or Young Earth theory or any of that.

Nicodemus

I believe, that things are not black and white at all... I am personally not religious, but I believe the theory of evolution might be more or less the way how it was made, rather than why it was made...
The theory of evolution does not profess to explain why evolution occurred, nor does it promote a black-or-white view of nature.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Only a minority of Christians believe that the creation story in Genesis is literal truth, largely evangelists and fundamentalists. Catholics and most Protestants believe that much of the Bible is parable or metaphor. Only the fringe believes that Adam & Eve were actual people that God plunked down on the Earth. Even the Pope believes in evolution.

You can say that Christians believe that God was the designer of the mechanism of evolution; that's largely true. But that's not the same thing as believing in creationism or Young Earth theory or any of that.

How convenient. Every aspect of the holy books that can be proven wrong are parables and metaphors and the rest of which that cannot be proven wrong (YET) would remain true.

This pope is cunning. He isn't kind or understanding/progressive.

He realizes that certain scriptures can be proven wrong too easily and certain laws are becoming too outdated; so he is saying that these are metaphors and let god do the judging.

If science hasn't humiliated the Genesis and if people weren't becoming more tolerant of same sex marriages etc I doubt he would dare to or even bothered to have said that genesis is a metaphors and let god do the judging.

Cunning old man.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I am afraid that if I put a both option out there then too many people would pick it as an easy out... Thoughts?