Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Creationism

1 4.76%
  • Evolution

20 95.24%
First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    Technically, don't scientific theories have to be falsifiable? Or is that just with Psych?

That said, there is extremely compelling evidence for evolution and denying it is pretty foolish. Therefore, I would like a "both" option. Many Christians believe that evolution did in fact take place but was initiated by a creator/higher being.
    At this point, we have found practically incontrovertible evidence for the locus of what is inherited, how variation is introduced and how that variation can be culled through the process of natural selection (and artificial selection). Darwin too had ample evidence supporting his position, even at his time.

I frankly don't know why it is offensive to religious people in general. However, I can certainly see how people can get worked up over it if they interpret the creation myths (in practically any religion) as literal things.

Theistic evolution is still possible. But the role of a creator, as far as I can see, is still outside the realm of falsifiable hypotheses. Most people I've met invoke God as explanation for the unexplained. Frankly, this is the "God of the Gaps" and believing in this God also runs against the scientific spirit, and more broadly, the human spirit, to ask about and find out about things.

A God of explanations is too impotent a God for my tastes, and I do believe in God.

Edit: "Intelligent design" is marginally more interesting than exploring a particular creation myth in its literal interpretation. But the more interesting the Intelligent Design process proposed, the more it resembles the process we call evolution. It would be interesting if we could somehow have a serious debate about theistic vs. atheistic evolution based on people who can actually tease out the differences in prediction based on a real understanding of probability, statistics, and information.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield
    Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

MOD NOTE:

Please discuss the topic, not personal gripes with each other.

Carry on.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

I believe, that things are not black and white at all... I am personally not religious, but I believe the theory of evolution might be more or less the way how it was made, rather than why it was made...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

Do you think that believing evolution over creationism(vice-versa) has anything to do with type? How you were brought up? Personal convictions? Any correlations?

I think a belief is a personal conviction, and that it is the result mostly of how you were brought up. But also a person's history after they reach adulthood is important.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Quote Originally Posted by pizzathegreat View Post
    Well, I suppose I could be wrong. My statement was purely based on a very basic knowledge of Christianity. I know more detailed accounts, but none relating to this topic. The ones I know believe in creation by design, and that is how I was taught growing up.
    So my question is how is it wrong?
    Only a minority of Christians believe that the creation story in Genesis is literal truth, largely evangelists and fundamentalists. Catholics and most Protestants believe that much of the Bible is parable or metaphor. Only the fringe believes that Adam & Eve were actual people that God plunked down on the Earth. Even the Pope believes in evolution.

You can say that Christians believe that God was the designer of the mechanism of evolution; that's largely true. But that's not the same thing as believing in creationism or Young Earth theory or any of that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Inis Mona View Post
    I believe, that things are not black and white at all... I am personally not religious, but I believe the theory of evolution might be more or less the way how it was made, rather than why it was made...
    The theory of evolution does not profess to explain why evolution occurred, nor does it promote a black-or-white view of nature.
    Likes Hard, Fay liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Only a minority of Christians believe that the creation story in Genesis is literal truth, largely evangelists and fundamentalists. Catholics and most Protestants believe that much of the Bible is parable or metaphor. Only the fringe believes that Adam & Eve were actual people that God plunked down on the Earth. Even the Pope believes in evolution.

You can say that Christians believe that God was the designer of the mechanism of evolution; that's largely true. But that's not the same thing as believing in creationism or Young Earth theory or any of that.
    How convenient. Every aspect of the holy books that can be proven wrong are parables and metaphors and the rest of which that cannot be proven wrong (YET) would remain true.

This pope is cunning. He isn't kind or understanding/progressive.

He realizes that certain scriptures can be proven wrong too easily and certain laws are becoming too outdated; so he is saying that these are metaphors and let god do the judging.

If science hasn't humiliated the Genesis and if people weren't becoming more tolerant of same sex marriages etc I doubt he would dare to or even bothered to have said that genesis is a metaphors and let god do the judging.

Cunning old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    The theory of evolution does not profess to explain why evolution occurred, nor does it promote a black-or-white view of nature.
    that was my point

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    2w5 sx

I am afraid that if I put a both option out there then too many people would pick it as an easy out... Thoughts?