User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

  1. #1
    Senior Member Nighthawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    423

    Default MBTI Centeral Blocked ... Partially

    Just discovered that my place of work blocks part of the MBTI Central site .. the Mature Topics area. I was a bit amazed at their granularity ... and happy that they chose not to block the entire site. I see this as tacit approval to post at work

  2. #2
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Sounds that way to me.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #3
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Just discovered that my place of work blocks part of the MBTI Central site .. the Mature Topics area. I was a bit amazed at their granularity ... and happy that they chose not to block the entire site. I see this as tacit approval to post at work
    The company I work for blocks access to all webmails. Not only is it an insulting declaration of distrust, it is counter-productive (I haven't yet, but the day I really need to check my Gmail will be the day that I spend work time figuring out how to get by the filter) and more importantly, futile. Like there is no other way for a demotivated employee to waste time on the internet than checking private mail...

    Edit: Oh, um, and yeah, that is pretty granular.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Nighthawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    The company I work for blocks access to all webmails. Not only is it an insulting declaration of distrust, it is counter-productive (I haven't yet, but the day I really need to check my Gmail will be the day that I spend work time figuring out how to get by the filter) and more importantly, futile. Like there is no other way for a demotivated employee to waste time on the internet than checking private mail...
    My previous employer blocked access to all webmails and IMs. I managed to hack the registry to access a different proxy where I could get through. They caught me after about 8 months and called me to the carpet for it. One of the big bosses intensely disliked me because I outranked him in the army reserve at the time. I did not get canned, but it started the wheels rolling in my head to look for another job. I started bringing in my own laptop with a private wireless broadband card, but that was quickly forbidden ... even though other people were allowed to do so. More fuel to look for another job.

    My present employer blocks webmails, but not IM. Thankfully. I can live with that.

    I've noticed that employers NEVER block ESPN or sports websites, yet they seem to always block gaming web-boards and sites. I remember one sys-adming blocking ESPN at an old job and the wrath of the executives came down upon him full force. Speaks volumes about who runs the show.

  5. #5
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I've noticed that employers NEVER block ESPN or sports websites, yet they seem to always block gaming web-boards and sites. I remember one sys-adming blocking ESPN at an old job and the wrath of the executives came down upon him full force. Speaks volumes about who runs the show.
    That reminds me of some advice I came across about job seeking. Translated it reads: "Know that some employers are suspicious of people who are not into sports. They seem to assume a connection between "a winner's mentality" and sports. For this reason, if you happen to find sports boring, you should not advertise this during the job interview."

    Incidentally, my current boss (a female ESTJ) keeps forgetting and being disappointed anew that I don't watch sports. Guess she should've asked during the interview.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Lookin4theBestNU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Just discovered that my place of work blocks part of the MBTI Central site .. the Mature Topics area.
    Hmmm makes me want to write an especially dirty pornographic story (my mind is filled with them) and post it elsewhere.
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

  7. #7
    Senior Member JivinJeffJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,698

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lookin4theBestNU View Post
    Hmmm makes me want to write an especially dirty pornographic story (my mind is filled with them) and post it elsewhere.


    What a woman!

  8. #8
    Senior Member Nighthawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    That reminds me of some advice I came across about job seeking. Translated it reads: "Know that some employers are suspicious of people who are not into sports. They seem to assume a connection between "a winner's mentality" and sports. For this reason, if you happen to find sports boring, you should not advertise this during the job interview."
    Ah yes ... that was hammered home to me at military school ... where they equated everything to the sports field. I swear a general will accept any military plan if you can find a way to compare it to a football play. Doesn't seem to be working too well in Iraq.

    I learned to feign interest in sports very well, and even learned enough to carry on a decent converstation about most of the popular games. I see it as corporate camouflage. It still irks me however. Nobody is forced to feign interest in my past times. The majority seems to mistrust anybody who is different in some way.

    Ironically, my wife is a basketball nut ... and I often wonder at the women out there who would be happy to have a man who is not glued to the "ball game" every weekend ... and I have a wife who is.

  9. #9
    Dhampyr Economica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,054

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    I learned to feign interest in sports very well, and even learned enough to carry on a decent converstation about most of the popular games. I see it as corporate camouflage. It still irks me however. Nobody is forced to feign interest in my past times.
    I fantasize that if and when I attain the heights of power, I will force MBTI and other pets of mine upon my minions. But realistically, as soon as I am no longer obliged to converse about the latest game or blockbuster movie, I will probably think "why bother?" - which makes the fantasizing much less satisfying.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] mbti book recommendation for my nephew
    By rocco in forum Typology and Psychology Book Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2017, 08:27 PM
  2. MBTI appeal of Death Note anime?
    By Economica in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 171
    Last Post: 12-25-2015, 03:42 PM
  3. MBTI & FFM correlations?
    By marm in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-09-2009, 09:19 AM
  4. MBTI vs the MBTI Step II test
    By Totenkindly in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-31-2008, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO