• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Type 2 diabetes, fatty liver disease reversed in rats

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Yale Scientists Reverse Type 2 Diabetes in Rats

Based on their earlier studies, the researchers determined that toxicity associated with the agent -- mitochondrial protonophore 2,4-dinitrophenol (DNP) -- was related to its peak plasma concentrations. They discovered that DNP's efficacy in reducing liver fat and liver inflammation could be achieved with plasma concentrations that were more than a 100-fold less than the toxic levels.

We know what the toxic levels are and we know this cheap chemical can reverse Type 2 diabetes. Let's fast track this baby and get it out to the masses. This is exactly the type of research that DIYers or biohackers would love to work on.

In the next phase of the study, Shulman and his team developed a new oral, controlled-release form of DNP, known as CRMP, which maintained the drug at concentrations that were more than a 100-fold lower than the toxic threshold. Administered once daily, CRMP delivered similar positive results, reversing fatty liver, insulin resistance, and hyperglycemia in rat models of NAFLD and type 2 diabetes, as well as liver inflammation and liver fibrosis in a rodent model of NASH, with no adverse effects.

In my opinion, if it's safe in rats and if there are human volunteers, then the drug should be available for general use provided that the public is warned that it hasn't gone through clinical trials.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
According to wikipedia, the lethal dose for 2,4-Dinitrophenol is:

Case reports have shown that an acute administration of 20–50 mg/kg in humans can be lethal.

That works out to 9.07 mg/lb or 907 mg for a 100 pound adult, but you only need 1/100 of it in order to reverse Type 2 diabetes, so that's a mere 9.07 mg/100 lb adult/day.

2,4-Dinitrophenol

Currently, you can get 20 grams or 20,000 mg (a 5 year supply for a 100 pound adult) of it for $20 on ebay. This is the type of research that we should be funding and this type of medicine should be fast tracked.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
2,4-Dinitrophenol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like it's already available for biohackers, including those who accidentally overdose!

The mechanism of action concerns me. Making ATP production less efficient... I want to know what that does to the overall free radical load on the body.

Lark

Yale Scientists Reverse Type 2 Diabetes in Rats

We know what the toxic levels are and we know this cheap chemical can reverse Type 2 diabetes. Let's fast track this baby and get it out to the masses. This is exactly the type of research that DIYers or biohackers would love to work on.

In my opinion, if it's safe in rats and if there are human volunteers, then the drug should be available for general use provided that the public is warned that it hasn't gone through clinical trials.

I dont that would be a good idea at all, it should go through the normal tests and trials before being licenced like any other product.

I say that as a Type 2 sufferer who would like all the much talked about breakthroughs and "cures" to materialise and the sooner the better but the unpleasant truth, for many, is that serious lifestyle adjustments and changes to diet and exercise are part of the remedy and no wonder drug is going to change that, similarly the toxicity of false foods created for mass consumption and food production practice more general pointed up by the Type 2 epidemic need to be considered and other structural factors too, ie the ease with which anyone can take physical exercise, the affordability of in time and access to means for fitness etc. etc. Even public safety, I read a really good article about this, gym membership is on the rise in the UK because people dont feel safe running in the streets or cycling on the roads and streets.

The thing about this too is this doesnt sound like a "cure", it sounds like the present treatments, it is probably just a more effective treatment or another treatment option, the present regime of drugs I use to control insulin resistance, or to try to I should say, sound pretty similar to this. I have been reversing the fatty liver disease with diet, exercise and the drugs, if I get to a waist line of 38 inches or less, reach my BMI perfect etc. I will have "reversed" diabetes, if you follow the jargon of the disease but it wont ever go away, genetically it has been tripped.

I read about some attempts to "cure" type one diabetes, complete insulin inactivity as opposed to insulin resistance and deficient insulin production in the pancreas, through organ transplants, ie a new pancreas, but that wouldnt even work for type two because if you has new liver and pancreas, as I understand it, you would still remain insulin resistant. Of all the things I've read the research into stem cells, now harvestable from adult teeth and not just embryos, is the most promising but I expect it only to be available to anyone, let alone mass marketed, in the generations to come, I'll be dead and gone before all that probably.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
2,4-DNP increases metabolism by slowing down ATP production. I would imagine that increased metabolism would increase free radicals, but what if you take an anti-oxidant such as glutathione along with it. I'd love to see a biohack group solicit Type 2s to volunteer for this type of research (maybe a short term - 30 day study to limit risk). They'd be able to move much faster than the Yale group.

Lark

2,4-Dinitrophenol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds like it's already available for biohackers, including those who accidentally overdose!

The mechanism of action concerns me. Making ATP production less efficient... I want to know what that does to the overall free radical load on the body.

Its not even the maddest idea I've encountered.

Did you hear about the bioengineering virus that is supposed to take the upper sections of the colon and re-engineer them for insulin production or regulation so you transform one organ, effectively repurposing it, to do the job of another older one, ie the pancreas, when I read about that I thought it sounded a bit more like mad science.

What concerns me about a lot of this is that it could be offered as the last best hope to some pretty desperate people and they will want it, their suffering could be exploited for cash or research findings by predatory and profiteering people and companies, there is major, major moral hazard in things like this, its one of the greatest reasons why the market forces regulation of health isnt ever going to be a good idea. All the conditions for something resembling tendencies towards perfect competition, perfect information, pareto optimality etc. are abscent altogether.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Lark said:
I dont that would be a good idea at all, it should go through the normal tests and trials before being licenced like any other product.

That could be a 10 or 20 year process or it may never reach the market for a variety of reasons. I'd rather leave it up to the patients to decide what level of risk they are willing to take.

The thing about this too is this doesnt sound like a "cure", it sounds like the present treatments, it is probably just a more effective treatment or another treatment option, the present regime of drugs I use to control insulin resistance, or to try to I should say, sound pretty similar to this.

We need human subjects to know if this is a cure and if the reversal in insulin resistance is permanent.

I have been reversing the fatty liver disease with diet, exercise and the drugs, if I get to a waist line of 38 inches or less, reach my BMI perfect etc.

I applaud your dedication, but there are over 500 million Type 2s around and many of them don't eat and exercise properly.