• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Return of Cold Fusion?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Parkhomov Breakthrough

Is anyone else following this story? I first became interested in cold fusion in 1997 when I heard Art Bell's interview with science writer, Eugene Mallove. Dr. Mallove was telling the radio audience about a Good Morning America segment on James Patterson's power cell. Patterson's company, CETI, had developed a water heater that used cold fusion technology. Unfortunately, Patterson was never able to get consistent results. He had one good batch of beads but couldn't figure out how to manufacture them consistently.

Here's the transcript of the part that most interested me: (MG is Michael Guillen, the science editor for Good Morning America; JP is James Patterson, the inventor of the Patterson power cell)

MG (voiceover): During the last year, Patterson's little beads have led to a huge surprise. Not only do they produce heat. It turns out, they also neutralize radioactivity.

JP: This is the cell system down here . . .

MG: It sounds like such an amazing development, the company is attracting big name scientists, like Norm Olsen. He traveled all the way from Hanford, Washington, where the government stores billions of gallons of high level radioactive waste.

Norman Olsen: If this technology works out as advertised, it means we could significantly reduce the radioactivity of nuclear waste in the United States, and the world.

MG: But does it work as advertised? We decided to put it to the test.

JP: What I have in this cup is radioactive uranium in a water medium.

MG: And that's what's sending that Geiger going crazy, right?

JP: Yes.

MG: So the idea is that the radioactive material will then flow through your device, and actually remove the radioactivity?

JP: Yes.

MG: I don't believe it. Go ahead and push the button. Let's see if it works.(Laughs.)

MG (voiceover during time lapse shot): The experiment began at high noon, with the Geiger counter registering well over 300. But by speeding up the video, you can see that after a couple of hours, the radioactivity was cut down by more than half— a reduction that would take billions of years to happen naturally.

Transcript of ABC-TV "Good Morning America"

I saw the Good Morning America segment and it showed a time-lapse shot of the geiger counter with the needle on the gauge going down significantly. Fast forward 18 years: Dr. Patterson has died and he was never able to get consistent beads that worked.

Now, cold fusion is back and multiple groups have reported positive results, but I don't think any of these results are published in peer review journals. That's a problem.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Some reading material for interested parties:

OBSERVATION OF NUCLEAR TRANSMUTATION REACTIONS INDUCED BY D2 GAS PERMEATION THROUGH PD COMPLEXES

Let us briefly summarize the experimental results presented so far. The main experimental results are as follows: 1-
1) Transmutation reactions of Cs into Pr were observed by D2 gas permeation for about one week through Pd
complexes. The D2 gas pressure was about 1 atm and the temperature of the Pd complex was nearly 70ºC.
2) Transmutation of Cs into Pr was demonstrated in more than 60 cases, with reproducibility close to 100%.
3) Transmutation of Sr into Mo was observed three times after D2 gas permeation for two weeks. The isotopic
composition of all detected Mo was different from the natural isotopic abundance of Mo.
4) The Pr was cross-checked by various methods such as XPS, TOF-SIMS (Time of Flight Secondary Ion Mass
Spectrometry), XANES (X-ray Absorption Near Edge Structure), XRF and ICP-MS (Inductively Coupled Plasma
Mass Spectrometry).
5) Based on an analysis of the depth profile of the Pr, a very thin surface region up to 100 angstrom seemed to
be active transmutation zone.
6) Experimental results suggested that the conversion rate from Cs into Pr, which is the ratio of detected Pr to
Cs, was positively correlated with deuterium flux through Pd complex.

A slide presentation of a Cold Fusion non-credit class at MIT:

Demonstration of Excess Heat from the JET Energy
NANOR®at MIT: Mitchell R. Swartz and Peter L. Hagelstein

INVESTIGATION OF EXCESS ENERGY
In LANR ACTIVE NANOMATERIALS
1D NANORs of PdNiD-ZrO2 and PdDZrO2
nanostructured materials have
demonstrated LANR (lattice assisted
nuclear reaction) activity.
1D NANORS have been shown to have
CF/LANR activity at the MIT/JET Energy
open demonstrations at the IAP Course on
Jan. 30 and 31, 2012 and during the next
two months.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
MFMP to Start New Glowstick Test, May 28th — Live Thread

Day 3 of this live experiment. It's still ongoing and there is some evidence of a positive result (higher temperature in the fueled reactor), but not a spectacular difference between the fueled reactor and the control. According to the comments, there is an apparent 60 degree C difference between the control and the fueled reactor with the same current. The MFMP team plans to raise the internal temp to 1200 C to see if that makes a difference. Cool stuff.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I first read the title, I thought you were talking this ColdFusion . The applications built with it seem to be riddled with security holes. It's old.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
highlander said:
When I first read the title, I thought you were talking this ColdFusion .

I wonder if maybe that's the reason why they removed the space between "Cold" and "Fusion". Yeah, it's a 20 year old language and it's used by 0.7% of all websites that use server side language according to W^3Techs stats. I suspect that the author did name it after the 1989 Pons/Fleischmann cold fusion experiment.