• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The International Flat Earth Research Society

Cygnus

Look!! Ignorant people, minding their own business, doing benign, stupid bullshit that's not causing any immediate detriment to greater society!!

Quick, everybody bombard them with sarcastic taunts and ad-hominem attacks until they start crying and change their views to match ours!!

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
Maybe high-density air near the surface of the ocean causes the laser beams to scatter in such a way that they bend slightly towards the highest density air, and away from the lower density air up above. Edit - as soon as I wrote that, I pushed 'play' on the video again, and he mentioned that it's more than you would expect from refraction. I'm just challenging my mind going through this video point by point to see how I would disprove the arguments.

grey_beard

The Typing Tabby
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Which US Congresscritter was it, again, who voiced concerns that the island of Guam was liable to capsize?
Mayhap these people can get a government grant...

sprinkles

Mojibake
MBTI Type
INFJ
Which US Congresscritter was it, again, who voiced concerns that the island of Guam was liable to capsize?
Mayhap these people can get a government grant...

It was Hank Johnson. It was also a metaphor apparently.

Retmeishka

MBTI Type
ISTP
You know, now that I think about this, how often does the average person really *need to know* that the earth is a ball? How often does that fact influence our daily decisions? Gee, I was planning to go for a long walk down the sidewalk, but I probably shouldn't, because I might fall off the edge of the earth, so I'll just stay here. It really wouldn't affect us most of the time if we believed the earth was flat, because even the flat earthers know that they can get in a plane and fly to any place they want to go to on earth, and they can rely on pilots who know how to get them there. It doesn't matter what they believe. This is one of those things where you can believe just about anything you want, and it has no impact on your daily life. The only people who really need to know the earth is a ball is the people who intend to send a signal around the earth, like the extremely low frequency transmitters sending messages to submarines, or people bouncing radio messages off the ionosphere and around the earth. Even those people are not usually trying to send a signal all the way around the ball of the earth back again to where they are. The only thing anybody needs to know is, where is the center point of the earth, on the flat earth map, so that you can decide to send a signal either to the east or to the west, to get it to its destination. But again this is not something the average person does on a daily basis. The difference between flat earth and religion is that flat earthers aren't basing their daily behaviors on the idea that the earth is flat, in such a way as to affect themselves and others badly.