INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj None

Default The International Flat Earth Research Society

deleted due to the incompetence of its founder

current board: Home | Our world
    Last edited by Zero-11; 03-31-2015 at 12:59 AM.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Seems legit.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Look!! Ignorant people, minding their own business, doing benign, stupid bullshit that's not causing any immediate detriment to greater society!!

Quick, everybody bombard them with sarcastic taunts and ad-hominem attacks until they start crying and change their views to match ours!!
    Likes Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

Maybe high-density air near the surface of the ocean causes the laser beams to scatter in such a way that they bend slightly towards the highest density air, and away from the lower density air up above. Edit - as soon as I wrote that, I pushed 'play' on the video again, and he mentioned that it's more than you would expect from refraction. I'm just challenging my mind going through this video point by point to see how I would disprove the arguments.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Which US Congresscritter was it, again, who voiced concerns that the island of Guam was liable to capsize?
    Mayhap these people can get a government grant...
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes SD45T-2 liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    Which US Congresscritter was it, again, who voiced concerns that the island of Guam was liable to capsize?
    Mayhap these people can get a government grant...
    It was Hank Johnson. It was also a metaphor apparently.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Socionics
    SLI

You know, now that I think about this, how often does the average person really *need to know* that the earth is a ball? How often does that fact influence our daily decisions? Gee, I was planning to go for a long walk down the sidewalk, but I probably shouldn't, because I might fall off the edge of the earth, so I'll just stay here. It really wouldn't affect us most of the time if we believed the earth was flat, because even the flat earthers know that they can get in a plane and fly to any place they want to go to on earth, and they can rely on pilots who know how to get them there. It doesn't matter what they believe. This is one of those things where you can believe just about anything you want, and it has no impact on your daily life. The only people who really need to know the earth is a ball is the people who intend to send a signal around the earth, like the extremely low frequency transmitters sending messages to submarines, or people bouncing radio messages off the ionosphere and around the earth. Even those people are not usually trying to send a signal all the way around the ball of the earth back again to where they are. The only thing anybody needs to know is, where is the center point of the earth, on the flat earth map, so that you can decide to send a signal either to the east or to the west, to get it to its destination. But again this is not something the average person does on a daily basis. The difference between flat earth and religion is that flat earthers aren't basing their daily behaviors on the idea that the earth is flat, in such a way as to affect themselves and others badly.