User Tag List

Default 4th generation nuclear power

Generation four nuclear power is supposed to have less (virtually no) waste, and consume mach larger percentages of the nuclear load, and could possibly even run on nuclear waste form the older generation reactors.

The Clinton administration was supposedly approached to fund this program heavily but yeilded to heavy pressure from lobbyists afraid of the word "nuclear." But this is based on Hansen's interview on Charlie Rose.

Why did the Bush administration then, not pursue this agressively?

Anyone have details? How is that it is so much more effiecient?

The articles I found were too superficial to yeild understanding.

Inside the Fourth-Generation Reactors
    Generation IV reactor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although, I would prefer to keep to the science, the policy implications are clear. I believe McCain is a bigger supporter than Obama, but neither have made their positions very public.

So, thoughts?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I vote for nuclear power. I don't even care if it's dangerous. I know better than to live inside the meltdown disaster distance no matter how "safe" it is.

Default Who's Stopping Nuclear

To understand what stopped fourth-generation nuclear reactors requires looking at the history of what has stopped nuclear power from being developed as it was envisioned under the Atoms for Peace program of the 1950s and 1960s.

21st Century Science & Technology has written a lot about this basic shift from a pro-progress optimistic science outlook to the present one of pessimism and anti-humanism. The key here is that the oligarchic faction--like Zeus, who punished Prometheus for bringing man fire--wants to prevent humankind from having nuclear power, or any other advanced capability for progress.

As for the increased efficiency (50 percent more efficient than conventional reactors) of the gas-cooled high-temperature reactors: They have direct conversion gas turbines, which eliminate the steam cycle, and also some other advances in equipment.

Here are links to some articles:

Who Killed U.S. Nuclear Power?
    by Marsha Freeman
    Who Killed U.S. Nuclear Power?

It's time for Next Generation Nuclear Plants
    by Marsha Freeman
    http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...ne/NextGen.pdf

Fourth-Generation Reactors Are
    Key to Worlds Nuclear Future

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...GenNuclear.pdf

Albert Wohlstetter's Legacy: The Neo-Cons, Not Carter,
    Killed Nuclear Energy

http://www.21stcenturysciencetech.co...ial_Report.pdf

If you can't access all the files, let me know and I'll send a pdf, which I can't do in a comment.

Sincerely,

Marje Hecht

Marjorie Mazel Hecht
    Managing Editor
    21st Century Science & Technology
    P.O. Box 16285
    Washington, D.C. 20041

Tel. 703-777-6943
    Fax 703-771-9214
    21st Century Science and Technology Home Page
    editorial@21stcenturysciencetech.com

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

I get the strange feeling this person is a real advocate for nuclear power, nice ^_^
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Granted, we would never be able to have the standard of living or economic power we have without nuclear energy. SO making it more efficient should be a big priority.

But has it ever occurred to you that all one needed to do was plough a plane into a nuclear power plant and then you could wave tens, maybe even hundreds, of thousands of people good bye.

Hmm...That should be the priority.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    But has it ever occurred to you that all one needed to do was plough a plane into a nuclear power plant and then you could wave tens, maybe even hundreds, of thousands of people good bye.

Hmm...That should be the priority.
    That's if the 'tardos keep it above ground... :rolli:

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I've never heard of one being below ground. That makes some kind of sense, doesn't it, though I'm sure that would have its own set of problems. I don't know enough about it though, gotta go google.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    I've never heard of one being below ground. That makes some kind of sense, doesn't it, though I'm sure that would have its own set of problems. I don't know enough about it though, gotta go google.
    You can crash a plane into one now and it shouldn't be that much of an issue; put it in the ground and the plane won't get at it to begin with. Also, when underground you don't get all the fall out, mind you it does have to be a decent amount of distance under.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I suggest you contact Marje Hecht, since it is rather hard to find anything substantive on the freely available net.

I have yet to read through the pdfs, since I have been on the plane for the last day.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield