User Tag List

First 6141516

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    This thread ruined my YouTube science channel idea.
    I wouldn't start a channel personally TBH. At least not one on anything remotely controversial. You will get a LOT of cruft and drama, believe me.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I wouldn't start a channel personally TBH. At least not one on anything remotely controversial. You will get a LOT of cruft and drama, believe me.
    Oh I was going to parody the bad ones! Like how water is afraid of everything else, it's elsephobic and that's why water rises with heavy objects in it because it panics and attempts to get away. And then it has a rivalry with oil, so they always separate in the end.

Anthropomorphology to the inanimate! All hail the elsephobic rock.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Science denial stems from people not understanding what science is, what sort of methods it uses and what it tries to accomplish. Usually because they try to view it through their lenses of fundamental belief in god, which to them explains everything in the world.

This is science:

"Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Aren't people somewhat limited by what their genetics allows? Although at the same time are the majority average, such as myself, able to grasp the concepts of scientific methods in the universal perspective not the human one?

It seems to me there is a limit, despite what many like to think, and we spend a lot of our lives finding out our limitations. Although I agree that people shouldn't propagate what they don't really understand in a true and technical sense.

Some of it is laziness from the capable. But a lot of it is opinionated from the unable.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

It's quite fascinating how people treat the word "science" in this thread. I'm half expecting to meet it someday and have a cup of coffee and a long chat.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Aren't people somewhat limited by what their genetics allows? Although at the same time are the majority average, such as myself, able to grasp the concepts of scientific methods in the universal perspective not the human one?

It seems to me there is a limit, despite what many like to think, and we spend a lot of our lives finding out our limitations. Although I agree that people shouldn't propagate what they don't really understand in a true and technical sense.

Some of it is laziness from the capable. But a lot of it is opinionated from the unable.
    I don't know that it's so well defined as that. Limits are malleable to an extent as well.

Everyone has limits straight up. Everyone. But there's a point to which you can stretch and move your limits, similar to body building. You maybe can't lift this weight now, it's beyond your limit, but perhaps you can increase your limit by doing other things (work out and get stronger).

I for example couldn't really get my head around commutators (group theory) until the last year or so. Not because it was beyond my limit, but because I hadn't prepped myself enough to get it. It just took some practice and devising my own commutators (no matter how useless they were, I just had to find some to exercise the mental process)

MBTI
    INFJ

@AffirmitiveAnxiety

Also I firmly believe that if somebody knows enough to get it wrong, they can get it right if they tried. Getting something even wrong takes ability to an extent - you need to be able to grasp it enough to reach a wrong conclusion (I'm a testament to this some times)

People who really just CAN'T get it most of the time won't have much of an opinion at all, or they will clearly parrot things at best (it'll be obvious)

This kind of goes back to the premise in the OP that science literacy doesn't necessarily bring consensus, albeit more indirectly.