First 21011121314 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If people at large put scientists on a pedestal, they would have much more admiration and regard for what we do than is actually the case. They would spend their free time finding out more about us and our work, just as many of them now track every move of their favorite celebrities or pro athletes. They would conduct scientific inquiry on an amateur or recreational level "just for fun", same as they might play golf or join a garage band.

The fact is they don't. This shows how it is not a gap in intelligence or ability that keeps the public largely ignorant of science, but rather a gap of values and interest.
    Small divergence in meaning. Put on a pedestal as in there are many complimentary elements assumed by the name such as high intelligence.

Wouldn't a form of recreational science be sci-fi and the long conversations about various scientific curios like light clocks etc? Sure it's not a prevalent as vinegar in a chip shop but it's not doing bad for what can be a very dry and technical subject.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Wouldn't a form of recreational science be sci-fi
    No. Sci-fi is entertainment and is a lot of times damaging to science.

and the long conversations about various scientific curios like light clocks etc?
    No. Science is not about enjoyable conversations and showing intelligence (scientists don't actually care about nerd cred all that much)

Sure it's not a prevalent as vinegar in a chip shop but it's not doing bad for what can be a very dry and technical subject.
    It's supposed to be dry and technical. And besides, this thread is about difference in opinion, not about being included in the scientific community. Being more inclusive does not necessarily solve the issue.

MBTI
    INFJ

Also I would note that there seems to be an idea about scientists being elitist or liking to display their intelligence, or thinking people are too stupid.

This is not true. What most scientists care about is the integrity of science. They care more about preserving scientific validity than they care about themselves (or you)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    No. Sci-fi is entertainment and is a lot of times damaging to science.

No. Science is not about enjoyable conversations and showing intelligence (scientists don't actually care about nerd cred all that much)

It's supposed to be dry and technical. And besides, this thread is about difference in opinion, not about being included in the scientific community. Being more inclusive does not necessarily solve the issue.
    I understand your opinion that science and scientists stand apart from the whole of human existence and anything but the most austere and serious spheres of work but it's my opinion that you're talking horseshit (to be blunt). If you can't see the links after all this time then perhaps you're best working in a small room somewhere secluded.
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Also I would note that there seems to be an idea about scientists being elitist or liking to display their intelligence, or thinking people are too stupid.

This is not true. What most scientists care about is the integrity of science. They care more about preserving scientific validity than they care about themselves (or you)
    Your entire attitude is based around derision of any approach which does not match your and you ally yourself with the identity of "scientist" to the degree I find it difficult to separate the two...and yet you now claim humility.

Science = figure shit out. End of. No fancy shit, no titles. Just getting the job done. The things they look at include things postulated in scifi and the things in scifi are inspired by science. Science is interesting or no one would pursue it unless they were very well paid. History is dry and technical but the best historian/ communicators can bring it to life, I have seen the same done with science. Step 1 in solving a difference in opinion is trying to get each side to see things from their "opponents" perspective and this means bringing people together to have the conversation on common ground.

I'm hoping that's phrased bluntly enough that you can extract the parameters for your next thesis.

MBTI
    INFJ

@Xander

I guess you don't need the explanations after all since you've got it so figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Personally, like many, I have little idea how a supercharger or turbo works in my car. I do, however, know enough to expect turbo lag and a boost to acceleration.
    There's no lag with a supercharger.

@Xander @kyuuei and any other interested people.
    In the spirit of this thread, I will be trying to explain my own research in simple terms around 9PM Pacific Time, this Saturday on ventrillo (Epsilon Machine room).

Contructive criticism is welcome.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield
    Likes Xander liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    In the spirit of this thread, I will be trying to explain my own research in simple terms around 9PM Pacific Time, this Saturday on ventrillo (Epsilon Machine room).

Cool. If I can get there, I will do. Though I'm not sure a mud thirties guy who still asks why repeatedly will be your cup of tea, I'll give it a bash. Thanks.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post

Ventrilo is still down for me. :/ I haven't been able to get it to work on my computer in months.. something about a glitch for previous owners of AVG anti-virus software + ventrilo software is going on, and I've tried everything I can think of and seen online to get the program to work again.. until I get a computer tech guy to complete vaporize AVG from my system, restart my computer and do a good clean install of everything, I'm boned. But I'd love to be there, I'm super interested in that. (Also I like it when you talk. /creepy.)
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    (Also I like it when you talk. /creepy.)
    That's not that creepy. If you'd said "You got a real purty mouth," that'd be creepy.